Discovery below jungle canopy rewrites Mayan history

Dec 2013
Everything is going to be OK
The Mayan civilization was much bigger than anyone realized — on a par with ancient Greece or China, according to a major archaeological breakthrough.

Researchers have digitally unearthed more than 60,000 man-made ruins — including palaces, cities and elevated highways — that have been hidden for centuries in the jungles of northern Guatemala, National Geographic reports.

The Mayan civilization was previously believed to be populated by 5 million people, but the breakthrough shows it may have been up to three times bigger, according to the archaeologists behind the report.

“With this new data it’s no longer unreasonable to think that there were 10 to 15 million people there,” Francisco Estrada-Belli, a Tulane University archaeologist, told the magazine.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/02/discovery-below-jungle-canopy-rewrites-mayan-history/

Here is a video on it.

https://youtu.be/GKFr3aTgh8I

Feb 2014
Oregon
Interesting that it is thought they existed in large numbers without slash and burn farming. However, I am thinking the large numbers are questionable because many cities do not have to mean many people. There could be many cities because of many moves. It the resources in an area were consumed, everyone could move to another place.

Viewing this youtube lead to me viewing others, and there are tribes that have not evolved. Why have some humans evolved and not others? There must be a stimulus for evolving technology and large cities.

Dec 2013
I like the pre flood civilizations theory.

It goes something like this.

There were/was very advanced civilizations some 10,000+ years ago then comet (s) hit the glaciers causing a massive flood wiping the majority of these people off of the face of the planet. Some survived being taken in by less advanced peoples. They then massed some of their knowledge to these people. Things like mathematics, architecture, farming, astronomy, reading and writing.

This would explain a lot. Like why Egyptian architecture devolved. Why similar architecture sprang up around the world seemingly unconnected. Where all of the megalithic structures came from. Along w/ much of the migration and easter island. Also why so many unconnected civilizations have a flood story held in high regard in their history/mythology.

Have you read watched much about

This Archaeological Site Is Rewriting Our Entire Understanding of Human History

Göbekli Tepe just doesn’t make sense. The neolithic archaeological ruins were first uncovered in the '60s, but their significance wasn’t truly realized until 1994. The site is located in southeastern Turkey - although it predates the establishment of the country by a significant amount of time. In fact, Göbekli Tepe is so old and complex that it is rewriting our understanding of not just Turkish history, but the entire history of humanity. Based on everything we know about how modern civilization got its start, Göbekli Tepe should not exist. However, exist it does, and has for nearly 12,000 years.

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
Last edited:
Dec 2013
Sabcat, you make like this explanation of a lost Indian city. It was lost because of rising sea level following the last ice age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVIsjx5X3QM

Surely some will like this video and some will not. It is about civilizations lost after the last ice age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWhbZmuaanU
I can't watch them now but i will later.

I love that stuff. It has always interested me ever since Egyptology in elementary school and non of it sounded right to me.

Feb 2014
Oregon
Okay, Sabcat. Do you know there is a spiritual or religious element to all of this?

The second one didn't say enough about all the civilizations lost in the flood, but his maps are interesting. His reading of an Egyptian document is so close to the biblical explanation of the last days the similarity needs explanation, especially when some Christians think the prediction of the last days, validates the truth of the bible. As we know the Mayans also appear to speak of this cycle...

About 8,850,000 results (0.60 seconds)
Search Results
Milankovitch cycles - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cycles
Milankovitch cycles describe the collective effects of changes in the Earth's movements on its climate over thousands of years. The term is named after Serbian geophysicist and astronomer Milutin Milanković. In the 1920s, he hypothesized that variations in eccentricity, axial tilt, and precession of the Earth's orbit resulted in ...
‎Earth's movements · ‎Apsidal precession · ‎Problems · ‎100,000-year problem
I wish my brain were smarter and I hope someone is interested enough to compare the Milankovic cycle with the Mayan calendar and tell me why I should think the two are not a match. And I can not think of the Mayan calendar without mentioning that when the I Ching is put in a matrix it fits perfectly in the Mayan matrix and both tell us of acupuncture points and other such things.

People talk and talk about Christianity and Jesus, and I would give just about anything to have as much talk of the things I have mentioned. I think we are in the Resurrection. The Resurrection can happen in two ways. The population increase could be the result of reincarnation, and obviously, the archeologist, geologist, and related sciences are resurrecting our past. What do you think, Sabcat, can I speak of all these crazy things in your thread or is this taking it off topic?

Smile, just noticed your thread is a science and technology forum. That is so serendipitous. :-D

Last edited: