Disney's original EPCOT idea

Dec 2015
Arizona
Neil, this was great. I had no idea there was a 2nd Epcot---a city. We've been discussing something similar in the thread titled "If a city was being designed from scratch". Even though Epcot City never came to fruition, Walt Disney proves once again that VISION is powerful and can change the world.
It should also remind us that cities and towns and villages CAN be built and CAN thrive without major manufacturing, big corporations and industry.
Thanks for posting.

Apr 2013
Left coast
I still disagree, Clara. There has to be a wealth generating entity where the citizens of the idyllic city get money for all these wonderful things.

Nov 2017
I still disagree, Clara. There has to be a wealth generating entity where the citizens of the idyllic city get money for all these wonderful things.
I think in a way you're both right. On one hand we can have idyllic places without wealth generating entities such as industrial & manufacturing plants, on the other hand they have to exist somewhere. We cannot get our food, energy, or industrial resources without mining, growing & harvesting trees/crops, and the refineries, factories, foundries, assembly plants, etc.

I don't remember if I mentioned this before (on this forum), but my family on my dad's side comes from Wilmington, Delaware. If anyone has ever been there they'll know it's like a slightly smaller version of a places near it like Baltimore & Philadelphia, as a place with some very old homes, industrial & factory areas, skyscrapers, inner city types of areas, big rail yards, etc. It's very different from Nothern Virginia, which is predominantly federal government, military, govt contractors, and the "Silicon Valley of the East" coast; it also happens to have a couple of the wealthiest counties in the US. One thing that makes Wilmington, Delaware different from Baltimore & Philadelphia is that it doesn't have have NFL & MLB teams, and the large stadiums for their games.

Anyways, my extended family on my dad's side has owned several cottages in Maryland at a place called Crystal Beach, which is along the Chesapeake bay, to the East of Turkey Point park. It has been their weekend & summer getaway spot. The reason it was called Crystal Beach, from what I was told, was because of a glitter-like effect from quartz crystals in the water. I've never seen this effect, nor will you if you go there. The water is so dark and cloudy with dirt and I guess pollution from Baltimore and Pennsylvania that you can't see more than a few inches into it from the surface. You'd have to be able to see the bottom of the water in order to see the reflection from the quartz crystals. It's the same with the Potomac river water, and I'm guessing that in the past both the Chesapeake bay and the Potomac river waters were probably closer to being more transparent or clear like the Caribbean island coastal waters.

Maybe someday they along with so many other places that have been dirtied up from pollution can be restored to their original beauty, but we have some work to do.

Last edited:
Dec 2015
Arizona
AND yet I've lived in at least 3 little towns that have NO wealth generating entity. How do you explain that?

Apr 2013
Left coast
AND yet I've lived in at least 3 little towns that have NO wealth generating entity. How do you explain that?
Either you had accumulated wealth from that wealth generating entity previously and are now enjoying the fruits of that or others in the community have done that or commute to places where they exist.

The three major cities I have lived in have satellite communities around them that in some cases are approaching your ideal, but they are there based on the people who travel to the city to work and get their wealth there. Then they transfer that wealth to their idyllic towns and the taxes they pay from that primary industry source of wealth pays for teachers etc, and the money they spend in restaurants and theaters pay for those. But the wealth has to initially be generated somehow somewhere.