Do you approve of the SEC, the FCC, the NLRB, and the 8-hour work week?

Feb 2018
Oregon
Do you approve of those things and more, like a modest level of support for unemployed workers between jobs?

Do you approve of the abolition of child labor?

How about Glass-Steagall Act?

What about your paid vacations?

Then there is your paid sick time.

Do you approve of these things? I'd just like to get a few people, especially from the right, on the record. Which of these do you think should never have happened?

Reactions: Clara007
May 2018
USA
If Republicans had any ethics whatsoever they'd refuse to accept Social Security, Welfare, unemployment insurance, medicare/medicaid and overtime pay for hours worked over 40. Those are all EVIL Democratic creations. A good Republican should refuse them all! Hilariously most of the hardcore Republicans/Trumpanzees I know are living on welfare in Oklahoma. PROUD REPUBLICANS ALL!

Meanwhile, what have Republicans given us? Lots of upper class tax cuts and corruption. But..the "christians" like them, LOL!

Reactions: leekohler2 and Kode
Feb 2018
Oregon
If Republicans had any ethics whatsoever they'd refuse to accept Social Security, Welfare, unemployment insurance, medicare/medicaid and overtime pay for hours worked over 40. Those are all EVIL Democratic creations. A good Republican should refuse them all! Hilariously most of the hardcore Republicans/Trumpanzees I know are living on welfare in Oklahoma. PROUD REPUBLICANS ALL!
On another forum we had a discussion of how much was being saved by posters per month toward their retirement. It became common for posters to say things like "I save about 1% of my income, or $20 in other words." In that case we know the person's monthly income is about $2000 and their annual income is about $24,000. It turned out that it was the right wingers who were mostly impoverished.

Meanwhile, what have Republicans given us? Lots of upper class tax cuts and corruption. But..the "christians" like them, LOL!
Yep. Think about this. Trump and the Republicans cut taxes mostly for the rich. Now they're trying to cut Social Security and Medicare to cut the debt. This will mostly hurt those of lower income who didn't benefit from the tax cuts! But who benefited the most from our growing debt? THE RICH CORPORATISTS!

And all the things I listed in the OP are either under consideration for cuts, or they've already been eliminated, like The Glass-Steagall Act.

Additionally, the national debt pays for defense contractors and benefits for other corporations, and the taxpayer will end up paying for it. The national debt is a huge transfer of wealth from the bottom, up to the top.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
A Day in the Life of Joe Republican

Joe gets up at 6:00 am to prepare his morning coffee. He fills his pot full of good, clean drinking water because some liberal fought for minimum water quality standards. He takes his daily medication with his first swallow of coffee. His medications are safe to take because some liberal fought to insure their safety and efficacy. All but $10.00 of his medications are paid for by his employer's medical plan because some liberal union workers fought their employers for paid medical insurance. Now Joe gets it too. He prepares his morning breakfast, bacon and eggs this day. Joe's bacon is safe to eat because some liberal fought for laws to regulate the meat packing industry. Joe takes his morning shower, reaching for his shampoo; his bottle is properly labeled with every ingredient and the amount of its contents because some liberal fought for his right to know the amount and identity of the substances he was putting on his body.

Joe dresses, walks outside and takes a deep breath. The air he breathes is clean because some tree hugging liberal fought for laws to stop industries from polluting our air. He walks to the subway station for his government subsidized ride to work; it saves him considerable money in parking and transportation fees. You see, some liberal fought for affordable public transportation, which gives everyone the opportunity to be a contributor to society. Joe begins his work day. He has a good job with excellent pay, medical benefits, retirement, paid holidays and vacation because some liberal union members fought and died for these working standards. Joe's employer upholds these standards because Joe's employer doesn't want his employees to call the union. If Joe is hurt on the job or becomes unemployed hell get a worker compensation or unemployment check because some Liberal didn't think he should lose his home because of his temporary misfortune.

It's noon time, Joe needs to make a Bank Deposit so he can pay some bills. Joe's deposit is federally insured by the FSLIC because some liberal wanted to protect Joe's money from unscrupulous bankers who ruined the banking system before the depression. Joe has to pay his Fannie Mae-underwritten mortgage and his below-market federal student loan because some stupid liberal decided that Joe and the government would be better off if he was educated and earned more money over his lifetime.

Joe is home from work, and he plans to visit his father this evening at his farm home in the country. He gets in his car for the drive to his dad's; his car is among the safest in the world be cause some wacko liberal (Ralph Nader!) fought for car safety standards. He arrives at his boyhood home. He was the third generation to live in the house financed by Farmer's Home Administration because bankers didn't want to make rural loans. The house didn't have electricity until some big government liberal stuck his nose where it didn't belong and demanded rural electrification. He is happy to see his dad who is now retired. His dad lives on Social Security and his union pension because some liberal made sure he could take care of himself so Joe wouldn't have to.

After his visit with dad he gets back in his car for the ride home. He turns on a radio talk show. The host keeps saying that liberals are bad and conservatives are good. He doesn't tell Joe that his beloved Republicans have fought against every protection and benefi that Joe enjoys throughout his day. Joe agrees. "We don't need those big government liberals ruining our lives", he says. "After all, I'm a self-made man who believes everyone should take care of themselves, just like I have".

By John Gray, Cincinnati, Ohio (slightly edited)

May 2018
USA
On another forum we had a discussion of how much was being saved by posters per month toward their retirement. It became common for posters to say things like "I save about 1% of my income, or $20 in other words." In that case we know the person's monthly income is about $2000 and their annual income is about $24,000. It turned out that it was the right wingers who were mostly impoverished.

Yep. Think about this. Trump and the Republicans cut taxes mostly for the rich. Now they're trying to cut Social Security and Medicare to cut the debt. This will mostly hurt those of lower income who didn't benefit from the tax cuts! But who benefited the most from our growing debt? THE RICH CORPORATISTS!

And all the things I listed in the OP are either under consideration for cuts, or they've already been eliminated, like The Glass-Steagall Act.

Additionally, the national debt pays for defense contractors and benefits for other corporations, and the taxpayer will end up paying for it. The national debt is a huge transfer of wealth from the bottom, up to the top.
Well, the important thing (for Republicans) is to conceal their attempts to hammer poor folks, so they use social "red herring" issues to distract their low-income, low-IQ followers. Gay marriage, abortion, prayer in schools, etc. Piddly stuff. Gay marriage doesn't hurt anyone (except, maybe, the gay people who happen to accidentally marry assholes), but it riles up the inbreds. Prayer in school is a "holy cow" issue for the fake christians, as is abortion. The vast majority of Americans believe a woman should have a right to choose, but low-IQ religious types feel only THEY have the right to make personal decisions (in other words: profoundly unAmerican). Don't get me wrong, those are legitimate issues, but the morons voting GOP totally ignore practical, pragmatic considerations by being diverted into passion over these other things that don't affect them whatsoever. In other words, they are stupid, easily distracted morons.

May 2018
USA
A Day in the Life of Joe Republican

Joe gets up at 6:00 am to prepare his morning coffee. He fills his pot full of good, clean drinking water because some liberal fought for minimum water quality standards. He takes his daily medication with his first swallow of coffee. His medications are safe to take because some liberal fought to insure their safety and efficacy. All but $10.00 of his medications are paid for by his employer's medical plan because some liberal union workers fought their employers for paid medical insurance. Now Joe gets it too. He prepares his morning breakfast, bacon and eggs this day. Joe's bacon is safe to eat because some liberal fought for laws to regulate the meat packing industry. Joe takes his morning shower, reaching for his shampoo; his bottle is properly labeled with every ingredient and the amount of its contents because some liberal fought for his right to know the amount and identity of the substances he was putting on his body.

Joe dresses, walks outside and takes a deep breath. The air he breathes is clean because some tree hugging liberal fought for laws to stop industries from polluting our air. He walks to the subway station for his government subsidized ride to work; it saves him considerable money in parking and transportation fees. You see, some liberal fought for affordable public transportation, which gives everyone the opportunity to be a contributor to society. Joe begins his work day. He has a good job with excellent pay, medical benefits, retirement, paid holidays and vacation because some liberal union members fought and died for these working standards. Joe's employer upholds these standards because Joe's employer doesn't want his employees to call the union. If Joe is hurt on the job or becomes unemployed hell get a worker compensation or unemployment check because some Liberal didn't think he should lose his home because of his temporary misfortune.

It's noon time, Joe needs to make a Bank Deposit so he can pay some bills. Joe's deposit is federally insured by the FSLIC because some liberal wanted to protect Joe's money from unscrupulous bankers who ruined the banking system before the depression. Joe has to pay his Fannie Mae-underwritten mortgage and his below-market federal student loan because some stupid liberal decided that Joe and the government would be better off if he was educated and earned more money over his lifetime.

Joe is home from work, and he plans to visit his father this evening at his farm home in the country. He gets in his car for the drive to his dad's; his car is among the safest in the world be cause some wacko liberal (Ralph Nader!) fought for car safety standards. He arrives at his boyhood home. He was the third generation to live in the house financed by Farmer's Home Administration because bankers didn't want to make rural loans. The house didn't have electricity until some big government liberal stuck his nose where it didn't belong and demanded rural electrification. He is happy to see his dad who is now retired. His dad lives on Social Security and his union pension because some liberal made sure he could take care of himself so Joe wouldn't have to.

After his visit with dad he gets back in his car for the ride home. He turns on a radio talk show. The host keeps saying that liberals are bad and conservatives are good. He doesn't tell Joe that his beloved Republicans have fought against every protection and benefi that Joe enjoys throughout his day. Joe agrees. "We don't need those big government liberals ruining our lives", he says. "After all, I'm a self-made man who believes everyone should take care of themselves, just like I have".

By John Gray, Cincinnati, Ohio (slightly edited)
Worthy of a "double like"!

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
Do you approve of those things and more, like a modest level of support for unemployed workers between jobs?

Do you approve of these things? I'd just like to get a few people, especially from the right, on the record. Which of these do you think should never have happened?
I'm all for the eight-hour work week..... ;)

Reactions: SkyChief
Feb 2018
Oregon
Well, the important thing (for Republicans) is to conceal their attempts to hammer poor folks, so they use social "red herring" issues to distract their low-income, low-IQ followers. Gay marriage, abortion, prayer in schools, etc. Piddly stuff. Gay marriage doesn't hurt anyone (except, maybe, the gay people who happen to accidentally marry assholes), but it riles up the inbreds. Prayer in school is a "holy cow" issue for the fake christians, as is abortion. The vast majority of Americans believe a woman should have a right to choose, but low-IQ religious types feel only THEY have the right to make personal decisions (in other words: profoundly unAmerican). Don't get me wrong, those are legitimate issues, but the morons voting GOP totally ignore practical, pragmatic considerations by being diverted into passion over these other things that don't affect them whatsoever. In other words, they are stupid, easily distracted morons.
I work with dogs. I find they prove themselves to be aware of and responsive to treatment. If you treat them with contempt and meanness, as though they are an inconvenient and unwanted obstacle, they resent it and respond badly to that person, and can eventually generalize that to all people.

I don't believe humans are any less impressionable. I believe a person who is impoverished, struggling to pay the bills of mere survival, will generally resent it and will "take it out" on others. They don't want to be the only one who suffers. So they find fault and log objections to the achievements and lifestyles of others. I believe it shows up in the kind of behaviors and attitudes you mentioned. And I believe this does serve the Republican agenda.

Feb 2020
Houston

Reluctantly yes, but only because government created the conditions under which child labor was so odious.

I know you will flame out when you read that, but it would be a longer explanation than I have time for at the moment.

Given that I believe, rightly or wrong, abolishing child labor is a government "solution" to a government created problem, yes I approve.

Disapprove. Another government solution to a government problem. Eliminate the FDIC and all bank bailouts and poor banking practices will lead to failure, thus discouraging them.

Without government banking bailouts, nearly all banking would be local, because a large bank really would be too big to fail because of the devastation it would cause so only the super-rich would own or do business with them.

Those are not government mandated. As a self-employed person, I don't have them. If you think that is wrong, I'll start a gofundme account and you can be the first to contribute.

Same answer as above, but they will be mandated for the coronavirus, if that is still on track.

I'll start a separate gofundme account for paid sick leave for self-employed people, if you're concerned that I don't have it. Not being a wiseguy, I had the sniffles when I went to my first meeting with a school about setting up a consultation during the shutdowns. I could not afford to miss it, but if I was to be reimbursed for lost business, I would have.

In case gofundme asks, how much will your first contribution be, ballpark?

I'm libertarian, not RW, but there are my answers.