Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
Isnt trump building a wall to keep illegal aliens out of the country?

Yes I believe in aliens

Space aliens the jury is still out for me..

Do I believe there is life on other planets, most likely so, but that would not make them Aliens unless they traveled to earth. if we traveled to their planet we would be the space aliens.

Apr 2015
Stockport. UK
I believe that there is every chance that life exists on other planets, but I consider the distance between the planetary systems rules out the likelihood that we have been visited by intelligent life-forms from another world.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
I believe that there is every chance that life exists on other planets, but I consider the distance between the planetary systems rules out the likelihood that we have been visited by intelligent life-forms from another world.
But life on other plants would not make them aliens, unless they visited another populated planet.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Considering that there are more stars in the galaxy than we can count, more planets than we can even begin to imagine, the notion that this one tiny little ball of dirt and water, located on the outer fringe of our own galaxy is the only one supporting life is patently absurd.

Whether or not we have been or likely will be visited is a whole other discussion. But the odds are simply to high to think we're the only fully sentient and rational species in the universe.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
My understanding of the word doesn't require them to visit us to be classed as alien.
They would not be aliens if they are on their home planet. We would be the aliens if we visited their home planet.

a·li·en
[ˈālēən}
ADJECTIVE
  1. belonging to a foreign country or nation.

Apr 2015
Stockport. UK
They would not be aliens if they are on their home planet. We would be the aliens if we visited their home planet.

a·li·en
[ˈālēən}
ADJECTIVE
  1. belonging to a foreign country or nation.
Even on their home planet they would still be regarded by us as belonging to a foreign planet, so we can still class them as aliens.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
Even on their home planet they would still be regarded by us as belonging to a foreign planet, so we can still class them as aliens.
incorrectly.

Now if a UFO landed example "The day the earth stood still" that would be an alien

if we did the Day planet X Stood Still and we landed we would be the "Alien life form"

Canadians in the US are aliens, Canadians in Canada are not aliens, Me visiting Canada would make me an Alien in Canada

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Part of the answer to this I particularly like was given by my university physics prof. He said words to the effect:

The universe is about 13 billion years old. Earth is about 4.5 billion years old. Of that 4.5 billion, solid evidence of first life on earth is about 3.5 billion years ago. From there it took about 3.5 billion years for "a human" to develop. The first Homosapien was thought to be about 200,000 years ago. But we didn't develop electricity until the early 1800s. So here we are, 200 years later. That is of significance because that is the start of when the earth would have started sending out signals that could be detected by some alien species and give them an idea where to look.

Then add in the fact that one way or another, war, depleting the resources of the earth, poisoning ourselves with pollution or chemicals or some antibiotic epidemic will kill us all off. I'd say good, and I'd say good in less than another 300 years.

So what are the odds of another planet developing life and space exploration and the ability to violate the speed of light limit, and then do it during the same 500 year window we are around. If there were/are/will be aliens, the odds of us ever seeing them is vanishingly small.