Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
Oct 2010
Colorado
I believe that there is every chance that life exists on other planets, but I consider the distance between the planetary systems rules out the likelihood that we have been visited by intelligent life-forms from another world.
...using technologies with which we are familiar.

Oct 2010
Colorado
Part of the answer to this I particularly like was given by my university physics prof. He said words to the effect:

The universe is about 13 billion years old. Earth is about 4.5 billion years old. Of that 4.5 billion, solid evidence of first life on earth is about 3.5 billion years ago. From there it took about 3.5 billion years for "a human" to develop. The first Homosapien was thought to be about 200,000 years ago. But we didn't develop electricity until the early 1800s. So here we are, 200 years later. That is of significance because that is the start of when the earth would have started sending out signals that could be detected by some alien species and give them an idea where to look.

Then add in the fact that one way or another, war, depleting the resources of the earth, poisoning ourselves with pollution or chemicals or some antibiotic epidemic will kill us all off. I'd say good, and I'd say good in less than another 300 years.

So what are the odds of another planet developing life and space exploration and the ability to violate the speed of light limit, and then do it during the same 500 year window we are around. If there were/are/will be aliens, the odds of us ever seeing them is vanishingly small.
If time is as linear as you assume it to be.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
If time is as linear as you assume it to be.
If time is linear?
What does that mean?
All the evidence points to the laws of nature being the same everywhere.
The processes we observe across the universe all seem to follow the same laws that exist here.

At this point it appears that there is a speed limit, that makes travel to other solar systems difficult for people with our lifespans.

And why would Aliens want to visit us?
If they can travel between the stars, what would we have that would interest them?

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
If time is linear?
What does that mean?
All the evidence points to the laws of nature being the same everywhere.
The processes we observe across the universe all seem to follow the same laws that exist here.

At this point it appears that there is a speed limit, that makes travel to other solar systems difficult for people with our lifespans.

And why would Aliens want to visit us?
If they can travel between the stars, what would we have that would interest them?
Actually a fourth dimension where time is indeed not linear has been hypothesized among the mathematical and scientific communities for over a century. Doesn’t mean it’s a real thing, but it’s not a clear cut issue

Jul 2014
massachusetts
Actually a fourth dimension where time is indeed not linear has been hypothesized among the mathematical and scientific communities for over a century. Doesn’t mean it’s a real thing, but it’s not a clear cut issue
Right, and in string theory there might 10 dimensions, but we pretty much live in 4 dimensions, 3 spatial dimensions and time, and the other dimensions are all folded up and so small we can't detect them.
But if it's possible to travel between galaxies in relatively short periods of time, would we?
If we found a budding civilization, would we land there and trade with them?
If we were interested in them, wouldn't we just observe them from a distance?

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Right, and in string theory there might 10 dimensions, but we pretty much live in 4 dimensions, 3 spatial dimensions and time, and the other dimensions are all folded up and so small we can't detect them.
But if it's possible to travel between galaxies in relatively short periods of time, would we?
If we found a budding civilization, would we land there and trade with them?
If we were interested in them, wouldn't we just observe them from a distance?
This conversation has gone very Intersteller on me

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
We are all aliens on Earth. Alien bugs came here from alien worlds on comets and evolved. The most plausible thing that I can think of except for Devine Intervention.
That’s called an argument from ignorance and it’s the most common form of logical fallacy. Your position is “I can’t think of a better explanation so it must be true.” Debate 101. This is the kind of logic that lead early civilizations to believe that lightning was cause by a god physically throwing bolts down to earth.