Do you really think its anyones business?

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
i have never met anyone who was rabidly anti abortion that was not either some rabid catholic or delusional evangelical, its always based on religion, a religion that feels entitled to rule people's lives ,and enforce a ruling hierarchy by cherry picking verses they like , it really isnt anyones business, i am opposed to abortion, i am opposed to drug abuse, do i think people should be arrested for adultry? no am i for adultry no? its a personal issue though the government does not belong regulating who you sleep with or what you put in your body or take out for that matter Libertarian perspectives on abortion - Wikipedia

bar

Jan 2014
Here is one of my thoughts about the anti abortion folks....
they say they are not pro choice. And yet, many of of them make a choice that abortion is acceptable if the mothers life is in danger. So, by definition, they are pro choice since they choose when an abortion is acceptable.

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
they say they are not pro choice. And yet, many of of them make a choice that abortion is acceptable if the mothers life is in danger. So, by definition, they are pro choice since they choose when an abortion is acceptable.
The entire subject is, for some reason, very difficult for this country to resolve. I don't think other nations are so conflicted over this subject-- they allow or don't allow. Every year we litigate the issue in one way or another. It reminds me of the firearms issue. Perhaps there is a secret message in the Second Amendment that commands 2nd Amendment advocates to "bear arms and infringe abortion".

Reactions: Clara007
Dec 2015
Arizona
Don't kid yourself. These are the very same people who don't think twice about the death penalty, ignore the plight of living, breathing children all over this country, & scream about welfare recipients who are mostly single women, children, the blind, the deaf and disabled.
These are the very same people who worship their guns and wouldn't think TWICE about shooting/killing/maiming anyone who happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. These same people are HAWKS---NOT DOVES.
These are the people who want to control women--buy them and sell them.

These are the very same people who are ignorant hypocrites who don't give a crap about "LIFE"---the sanctity of LIFE--those who are already living, breathing, walking this earth---those who have no resources, no home, no healthcare, no education.

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
Don't kid yourself. These are the very same people who don't think twice about the death penalty, ignore the plight of living, breathing children all over this country, & scream about welfare recipients who are mostly single women, children, the blind, the deaf and disabled.
These are the very same people who worship their guns and wouldn't think TWICE about shooting/killing/maiming anyone who happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. These same people are HAWKS---NOT DOVES.
These are the people who want to control women--buy them and sell them.

These are the very same people who are ignorant hypocrites who don't give a crap about "LIFE"---the sanctity of LIFE--those who are already living, breathing, walking this earth---those who have no resources, no home, no healthcare, no education.
Is there any path toward resolution of this issue in the US? The Controllers seem to come up with a new twist or maneuver at the state level to get it before SCOTUS repeatedly using direct or indirect methods to throw up hurdles by fabricated issues. Perhaps the Trump election has inflamed this subject somewhat, but regardless it seems like it has become more and more a holy mission of the religious since Dubya...

Dec 2015
Arizona
Is there any path toward resolution of this issue in the US? The Controllers seem to come up with a new twist or maneuver at the state level to get it before SCOTUS repeatedly using direct or indirect methods to throw up hurdles by fabricated issues. Perhaps the Trump election has inflamed this subject somewhat, but regardless it seems like it has become more and more a holy mission of the religious since Dubya...
IMHO--This issue will never go away. It will continue to plague the extremists and will be on SCOTUS's plate forever. I have no doubt we'll hear about a case any day now since Trump has his conservatives on the court....but what is confirmed NOW can be revisited later. I don't think this issue will ever be settled....but science will contribute. There will continue to be research and solutions for women who do not want to conceive, deliver or abort. The pill was a step forward. The morning after pill will become a "thing". It's a beginning.

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
IMHO--This issue will never go away. It will continue to plague the extremists and will be on SCOTUS's plate forever. I have no doubt we'll hear about a case any day now since Trump has his conservatives on the court....but what is confirmed NOW can be revisited later. I don't think this issue will ever be settled....but science will contribute. There will continue to be research and solutions for women who do not want to conceive, deliver or abort. The pill was a step forward. The morning after pill will become a "thing". It's a beginning.
The twist on all this opposition has become the disingenuous laws that indirectly make abortion access difficult such as ultrasound requirements, hospital privileges, or counseling intended to shame. Even in this century women are still considered inferior citizens.

Nov 2012
Rhondda
In my opinion, the Big Stopper on open class conflict begun under McCarthy means that all sorts of minor matter are dragged in to do duty for serious politics. To a degree it is happening over here with the Brexit drivel. The difficulty is that, unlike decisions like whether the railways are nationalised or not, it is difficult to come to a clear resolution, and this stuff can go on forever, getting nastier and nastier.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
And there it is. You are exactly right. Even the most ardent of anti-choice proponents WILL change their minds when it's THEIR wife, sister, daughter laying in the hospital dying when an abortion will save her life. Anyone that could even conceive of sitting there, much less actually doing it, and letting a living breathing human being die when an abortion would save their life so they can go on to have children, is a monster. Pure evil.

Almost everybody has some version of the "nightmare scenario". A situation where, no matter how they normally feel about abortion, it suddenly becomes a viable option. In some cases the only option. I have friends that just went through this 2 years ago. At 7 plus months for no reason the doctors could ever explain, the babies heart just stopped. For the mother, it was remove the now dead and rotting fetus or die.

Every poll since Roe has shown one very important fact. No matter how many people say they are "pro-life" somewhere in the neighborhood 50% plus or minus depending on the year. When asked should abortion be completely outlawed that number drops to 15% to 20% depending on the year. So the truth is most people are in fact "pro-choice". The real issue is what constitutes a nightmare scenario ? For some, it's obvious, only to save the life of the mother. But what if you're a 15 year old girls whose parents have just thrown you out of the house for being pregnant ? What do you suppose her definition of a night mare might be ??

This is why I am pro-choice. I don't like the idea of abortion. However I am not God. I am not the arbiter of your (or anyone else's) morality. I cannot decide for you what does or doesn't constitute an untenable situation.

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
And there it is. You are exactly right. Even the most ardent of anti-choice proponents WILL change their minds when it's THEIR wife, sister, daughter laying in the hospital dying when an abortion will save her life. Anyone that could even conceive of sitting there, much less actually doing it, and letting a living breathing human being die when an abortion would save their life so they can go on to have children, is a monster. Pure evil.

Almost everybody has some version of the "nightmare scenario". A situation where, no matter how they normally feel about abortion, it suddenly becomes a viable option. In some cases the only option. I have friends that just went through this 2 years ago. At 7 plus months for no reason the doctors could ever explain, the babies heart just stopped. For the mother, it was remove the now dead and rotting fetus or die.

Every poll since Roe has shown one very important fact. No matter how many people say they are "pro-life" somewhere in the neighborhood 50% plus or minus depending on the year. When asked should abortion be completely outlawed that number drops to 15% to 20% depending on the year. So the truth is most people are in fact "pro-choice". The real issue is what constitutes a nightmare scenario ? For some, it's obvious, only to save the life of the mother. But what if you're a 15 year old girls whose parents have just thrown you out of the house for being pregnant ? What do you suppose her definition of a night mare might be ??

This is why I am pro-choice. I don't like the idea of abortion. However I am not God. I am not the arbiter of your (or anyone else's) morality. I cannot decide for you what does or doesn't constitute an untenable situation.
You will see this same invoking of "exception" whenever a conservative confronts an issue in which they have a vested interest:
Nancy Reagan bucked Republican objections to stem cell research that might benefit Ronnie
Cheney, an ardent conservative on all issues, is silent on issue of gay rights as one of his daughters is lesbian
"big government is bad" except when it brings jobs and projects to one's area