Does America Have the World's Greatest Economy?

Feb 2020
Houston
Rhetorical question posed by another poster that got me thinking. What makes an economy great?

It's kind of like asking what is the greatest vehicle. It depends on what you want the vehicle to do for you.

If you want to drive fast and hard, with only yourself, or you and your honey, you want a sports car. If you want to haul things around and get work done, you need a pickup. If you want to move as many people from point A to point B as you can, as cheaply as you can, you need a large van or a bus.

In a free market economy, pickups would be the most important so the work gets done and then you can afford that sports car. Buses aren't really much use in a system like that because individuals need individual transportation to get them where they can earn the most i.e. the places where they are most needed.

In a command economy, the masses ride buses.

It has already been predetermined by master planners where they will work, so the buses take them there. The driver and a couple of overseers make sure they get there and do the work.

Where are the government people? They're driving the sports cars they bought with the fruit of the worker's labor. Where did they buy them? Same place they bought the buses, from countries that are good at making things, i e. the free market countries.

In a free market country that grows wealthy, i. e. any free market country, there develops a class of people who disdain both bus and truck. Usually the children of the people with the trucks.

They don't want to ride the bus to work, they don't want to borrow Mom's truck to find their own work. But they do look forward to driving Dad's Lambo!

Mom says nope. You want to drive, get a job. Take the bike you got for your thirteenth birthday, raise the seat and pedal your ass to the interviews.

So, they start yearning for a truckless economy in which they are sure they will be one of the sports car elite and never one of the bus-riding masses.

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
Well, a guy who makes a million a year is technically a millionaire even if he has 3 million in debt. We are very sick right now as a nation. Only the free market can save us like you are saying.

Back in the day before the police state, it was great. After school, we would just all jump into a buddy's pick-up. There were no safety seats or belt...nothing. When he would go fast over a speed bump we would all go flying a foot or two in the air and come crashing down with great unanimous laughter.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
China had you beat. Covid-19 beat them down for a while but they are coming back while you are sinking. Who knows where it will end up.

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
We always will, as long as China has no minimum wage and no factory safety regulations.

China's government sees the factories as an extension of the government, temporarily lent to the control of the "free" market.
You are right.
That's the Chinese miracle flop's China is really no different than how we were before FDR. Now the pussies always talk about safety first and that is why they can't produce anything or even fight any wars. The cost of advancement is guts and disregard for safety. SAFETY LAST!

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
You are right.
That's the Chinese miracle flop's China is really no different than how we were before FDR. Now the pussies always talk about safety first and that is why they can't produce anything or even fight any wars. The cost of advancement is guts and disregard for safety. SAFETY LAST!

And people they think like you are EXACTLY WHY we now have unions, health and safety, regulations and pollution controls. Because capitalism doesn’t give one flying fuck about the average working stiff, his family or anyone unlucky enough to live down wind or down stream of their plants. They’d literally kill the entire fucking planet for a few dollars more.

The irony is that while complaining bitterly about the above, it was the above that created the middle class which is who truly drives our economy. Kill the middle class and you kill our entire way of life.

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
And people they think like you are EXACTLY WHY we now have unions, health and safety, regulations and pollution controls. Because capitalism doesn’t give one flying fuck about the average working stiff, his family or anyone unlucky enough to live down wind or down stream of their plants. They’d literally kill the entire fucking planet for a few dollars more.

The irony is that while complaining bitterly about the above, it was the above that created the middle class which is who truly drives our economy. Kill the middle class and you kill our entire way of life.
Bubba, I believe in unions because I believe in freedom of association and freedom of disassociation. If people want to organize into a union that's great and if they are prepared to lose their job by going on strike then fine too. What I don't support is the mafia. No one should be forced to join a union or guild in order to get a job or to be allowed into any industry. That would be not only against freedom of association but against the free-market.

Feb 2020
Houston
You are right.

A statist sees men put in danger by uncaring capitalists.

I see men putting food on their families' tables, presents under the tree, and a warm coat for each child when winter came. Those men were led by men who would not hesitate to walk the beams with them. Did walk the beams in fact to make sure the work was done right.

Did anyone ever fall? Of course.

I'd take that death over being some jobless dumbass who drops acid and jumps off a building because he thinks he can fly.

What was up with those guys? If they thought they could fly why not just take off from the ground? Be no less impressive if they flew from the ground to the top of the building instead of vice-versa.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: FreeToChoose