Does truth matter to you?

Oct 2010
Colorado
Trump rolls out the lies one after another. Yet, some maintain we're all liars who lie to ourselves, like those who smoke tobacco know it's wrong, but they lie to themselves and smoke anyway.

Discuss.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
I would argue individuals accept truths that don't disrupt with their paradigm. If I look at the world in a certain way, truths that directly conflict with that worldview can easily be disregarded.

For example, I know it's true my overall health would improve if I didn't eat white sugars. But is that stopping me from grabbing a gas station donut once or twice a week? Not really.

PS The fact that "donut" is considered the acceptable American spelling is really kind of embarrassing.

Oct 2010
Colorado
I would argue individuals accept truths that don't disrupt with their paradigm. If I look at the world in a certain way, truths that directly conflict with that worldview can easily be disregarded.

For example, I know it's true my overall health would improve if I didn't eat white sugars. But is that stopping me from grabbing a gas station donut once or twice a week? Not really.

PS The fact that "donut" is considered the acceptable American spelling is really kind of embarrassing.
Donuts........................ When I was a kid, really fatty, deep fried donuts were the norm. About 60 cents a dozen. Where did those things go? Today, some donuts sorta look like the old ones, but they are nothing like those raised, deep-fat wonders of yesteryear.

That said, I think the truth is: If you really like donuts, and you don't eat a half dozen a day, rather, once or twice a week, then the truth is..........................they're good for you. And, the truth is: For a tofu saturated vegan, donuts are most definitely bad......................for them.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Donuts........................ When I was a kid, really fatty, deep fried donuts were the norm. About 60 cents a dozen. Where did those things go? Today, some donuts sorta look like the old ones, but they are nothing like those raised, deep-fat wonders of yesteryear.

That said, I think the truth is: If you really like donuts, and you don't eat a half dozen a day, rather, once or twice a week, then the truth is..........................they're good for you. And, the truth is: For a tofu saturated vegan, donuts are most definitely bad......................for them.
60 cents per dozen... I say this as nicely I can but fuck you is old :)

To your point (getting side tracked a bit) there is something to be said the type of food and exercise that's good for me is not the same food and exercise that's good for everyone. For example I'm an ectomorph (tall and skinny) so my diet is high in protein and high in carbs because my body has trouble keeping weight on. My workout routine has minimal cardio and focuses on lifting. Building muscle is difficult for me. But that's not the kind of lifestyle I'd recommend for an endomorph (short and stocky).

BUT there are certain dietary things we know to be true. Whole grains and vegetables are better for you than cakes and candy. Water is better for you than soda. Not smoking is better for you than smoking. Etc.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee

You're not ignoring the "truth" of how the donuts might effect your health. You're simply weighing the risks against the pleasure you get from eating them. You KNOW they're bad for you, which is likely why you only buy them a one or two at a time, a couple of times a week. Accepting the "truth" and making a decision based on your own balance of risk versus reward is still accepting the truth.

Now if you were out there proposing that donuts were actually healthy and that major consumption would actually bring health benefits, THAT would be a lie. That would be trying to create a situation where eating donuts doesn't conflict with your world view. This is my issue with Trump and the Trumpeteers. He's not out there saying "yeah yeah we know donuts are bad for your but so what ? Life is short enjoy the damned donuts." NO he's insisting that the donuts are in fact GOOD FOR YOU and promoting the idea that government and the media have been lying to us all these years. Of course becasue this fits their paradigm and world views the trumpeteers are responding by saying "WE KNEW IT ALL THE TIME !!!!" "God bless the great Trump for finally telling us the truth !!!" Trump has made more misquotes, exaggerations, told more half truths and out right lies (5000 of them by some counts) than quite possibly any politician in this countries history, and yet his base refuses to admit that he's told a single lie.

“You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Oct 2010
Colorado
60 cents per dozen... I say this as nicely I can but fuck you is old :)

To your point (getting side tracked a bit) there is something to be said the type of food and exercise that's good for me is not the same food and exercise that's good for everyone. For example I'm an ectomorph (tall and skinny) so my diet is high in protein and high in carbs because my body has trouble keeping weight on. My workout routine has minimal cardio and focuses on lifting. Building muscle is difficult for me. But that's not the kind of lifestyle I'd recommend for an endomorph (short and stocky).

BUT there are certain dietary things we know to be true. Whole grains and vegetables are better for you than cakes and candy. Water is better for you than soda. Not smoking is better for you than smoking. Etc.
Well, not all that old....

It was 1936, the end of the Great Depression, when Lawrence Shipley, Sr. created a gourmet recipe for Do-Nuts. So delicious were the Do-Nuts that they have withstood the test of time. Cut by hand and served hot throughout the day, the Do-Nuts were 5 cents a dozen and were only sold wholesale. The product was so successful that it started to sell on the retail market in the mid 1940s. With Lawrence Sr. away on do-nut routes, his wife Lillie would stay behind and make the culinary delights with Lawrence Jr. at her knee.​
People would come from miles around to sample the nectar of the sumptuous hot glazed Do-Nuts. Serving them hot was a goal of the elder Shipley. Lawrence Shipley, Sr. once said, “When they bite into that hot do-nut, it will bring them back every time.”​
Haven't you known the person that lives on quarter-pounders and assorted junk food who's healthy as a horse? Or, the all-organic family who's kids are always sick?

The "truth" of nutrition goes deeper than the chemical make up of the food, imo.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
I grew up with Krispy Kreme donuts. Still prefer their simple glazed. Don't really care for the fancy filled or iced. One store was just down the street from me and it was hard not to hit the drive thru when they had the "HOT" sign turned on.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Trump rolls out the lies one after another. Yet, some maintain we're all liars who lie to ourselves, like those who smoke tobacco know it's wrong, but they lie to themselves and smoke anyway.

Discuss.
Circling back to the OT, I think it's obvious people don't always care about the truth.

Think about every video you've seen of a murdered getting sentenced in a courtroom. It doesn't matter how much evidence and how much truth is presented, there seems to always be family crying in the courtroom. Why? Often because they can't accept the truth their loved one is a murder. The truth is in direct conflict with their paradigm and rather than adjust, they reject the truth.