Does truth matter to you?

Oct 2010
Colorado
We're not even on page 2 and I've already (accidentally) derailed this conversation
Yup.

5 cents a dozen!!!

So, people tend to organize their lives and thinking around the truths and falsehoods they choose to believe, to support their chosen .... er .... lifestyle......? Maybe someone can improve on that. :)

At what point do these choices become pathological?

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Yup.

5 cents a dozen!!!

So, people tend to organize their lives and thinking around the truths and falsehoods they choose to believe, to support their chosen .... er .... lifestyle......? Maybe someone can improve on that. :)

At what point do these choices become pathological?
I would say it's pathological when the denial of truth becomes harmful to society as a whole. For example (I know this could derail things), but the tobacco industry that suggested truths from the public for decades clearly did so at the determinant to society. That was pathological. As an atheist, I don't believe there is truth to the claims that a god exists. However I don't consider those of faith pathological because I think religion as a whole is not a determent to society.

Apr 2013
Left coast
60 cents per dozen... I say this as nicely I can but fuck you is old :)

To your point (getting side tracked a bit) there is something to be said the type of food and exercise that's good for me is not the same food and exercise that's good for everyone. For example I'm an ectomorph (tall and skinny) so my diet is high in protein and high in carbs because my body has trouble keeping weight on. My workout routine has minimal cardio and focuses on lifting. Building muscle is difficult for me. But that's not the kind of lifestyle I'd recommend for an endomorph (short and stocky).

BUT there are certain dietary things we know to be true. Whole grains and vegetables are better for you than cakes and candy. Water is better for you than soda. Not smoking is better for you than smoking. Etc.
And there is nothing wrong with white sugar. All carbohydrates break down to the same thing pretty quickly in your bod. But like anything else, a megadose in a short time isn't good. And that applies to everything.

Apr 2013
Left coast
Back to the OP. This is a matter of great study for psychologists, sociologists, poly-sci people and others.

It is becoming more and more concerning that people seem to, in this day and age of virtually infinite learning assets due to the internet, become more defiant of any contradiction to their ingrained opinions.

Just look at politics and climate. Facts don't matter anymore. Fake news has won.

I'm seeing more and more reporters shifting the blame to themselves. More and more reporters are saying that when media just report bullshit without commenting that even though Mr. X said it, it is bullshit.

But then they risk being accused of violating the wall between news and opinion.

No easy fix.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Back to the OP. This is a matter of great study for psychologists, sociologists, poly-sci people and others.

It is becoming more and more concerning that people seem to, in this day and age of virtually infinite learning assets due to the internet, become more defiant of any contradiction to their ingrained opinions.

Just look at politics and climate. Facts don't matter anymore. Fake news has won.

I'm seeing more and more reporters shifting the blame to themselves. More and more reporters are saying that when media just report bullshit without commenting that even though Mr. X said it, it is bullshit.

But then they risk being accused of violating the wall between news and opinion.

No easy fix.

I think the best think the media could do for this country, and it would absolutely drive Trump crazy (more so than I think he already is) would be to stop covering him !!! Limit coverage to actual events with no commentary. Tomorrow report that he visited the southern border. JUST THAT and nothing else. He made the visit, but adding no further commentary about the visit. Stop responding to his tweets and off the cuff comments much less wasting time and energy on analyzing and debating them. Stop even asking him questions. Just report the who, what, when and where. Knowing that his ego needs the constant chaos and attention, can you imagine what it would do if the vast majority of media outlets simply stopped paying attention to his constant barrage of tweets and comments ??

Oct 2010
Colorado
OK, take this:

Media acknowledged ‘epic’ border crisis under Obama – what changed?

Of course, "the media" did not cover Obama's "fireside chat" in 2014, for starts. As with all things Trump or Trump related,
And there is nothing wrong with white sugar. All carbohydrates break down to the same thing pretty quickly in your bod. But like anything else, a megadose in a short time isn't good. And that applies to everything.
"And there is nothing wrong with white sugar."

Is that true?

Unlike with substance abuse, people don't get the shakes when they stop eating sugar. But people with constant sugar cravings do exhibit one symptom of dependence, Pelchat says: "continued use despite knowledge of bad consequences or having to give up certain activities." For instance, people who crave sugary, fatty foods will keep eating them even if obesity makes it uncomfortable to walk or to sit in an economy seat on the plane.​

More:

In a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), people who ate the largest amounts of added sugar had the highest blood triglyceride levels and the lowest HDL (good) cholesterol levels. That study also showed that eating lots of sugar more than tripled the odds of having low HDL cholesterol levels, a strong risk factor for heart disease.​
In contrast, people who ate the least sugar had the lowest triglyceride levels and highest HDL levels, a protective factor against heart disease.​

However:

Celebrities and high-profile chefs have touted the benefits of replacing refined white sugar with purportedly more natural, healthier sugars, such as honey, maple syrup, or molasses.​
But there's no truth to these common misconceptions, Johnson says. "In terms of something being inherently better about those sweeteners as opposed to table sugar or sucrose -- no." The bottom line: All are simple sugars.​
"A calorie of sugar is a calorie of sugar, so whether you're getting it from white sugar or some other type of sweetener, you're still adding empty calories to your diet," Johnson says.​

Sugar Health Effects: Is Refined Sugar Bad For You?

Oct 2010
Colorado

No easy fix.
A reporter who fails to fact-check is violating the wall by reporting fallacious opinions in the guise of "quotes."

Being an honest member of the Fourth Estate requires courage.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin

No easy fix.
Do you think it's because people care less about the truth than what they used to, or is it because now there is just so much information out there that people can find information that aligns with their line of thinking. If you think the world is round or you think the world is flat, there are dozens of websites that will tell you you're correct. Couple this with the fact that news organizations have a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders to get eyeballs, get attention and sell advertising space, and we're living in a society where the truth takes a back seat.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Trump rolls out the lies one after another. Yet, some maintain we're all liars who lie to ourselves, like those who smoke tobacco know it's wrong, but they lie to themselves and smoke anyway.

Discuss.

First up. When was the last time this country had a really probing conversation about truth? Think about that. I think the last time I really discussed "truth" with anyone was when my boys were young. It's a dialogue most parents have with their kids because most kids cross the line of "truth" at one time or another. When a young child is questioned in court the first question is ALWAYS "do you know the difference between a lie and the truth?" Most very young children KNOW the difference. Our grandson, Sam, is 4 yrs old and he can tell you the difference. So everyone KNOWS that truth is honesty, accuracy, correctness, and fact. Truth is a reality. In most cases, truth can be proven or disproven. Parents, teachers, grandparents, neighbors, and churches PREACH and TEACH truth every single day, but NOW in 2019 we need to discuss it--analyze it--review it? This is horrific. Extremely sad scenario and something I never expected.
Next, IT, I think what you are talking about is a couple of different types of truth. Addiction? Choices? Lifestyles? Morality?

Apr 2013
Left coast
OK, take this:

Media acknowledged ‘epic’ border crisis under Obama – what changed?

Of course, "the media" did not cover Obama's "fireside chat" in 2014, for starts. As with all things Trump or Trump related,

"And there is nothing wrong with white sugar."

Is that true?

Unlike with substance abuse, people don't get the shakes when they stop eating sugar. But people with constant sugar cravings do exhibit one symptom of dependence, Pelchat says: "continued use despite knowledge of bad consequences or having to give up certain activities." For instance, people who crave sugary, fatty foods will keep eating them even if obesity makes it uncomfortable to walk or to sit in an economy seat on the plane.​

More:

In a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), people who ate the largest amounts of added sugar had the highest blood triglyceride levels and the lowest HDL (good) cholesterol levels. That study also showed that eating lots of sugar more than tripled the odds of having low HDL cholesterol levels, a strong risk factor for heart disease.​
In contrast, people who ate the least sugar had the lowest triglyceride levels and highest HDL levels, a protective factor against heart disease.​

However:

Celebrities and high-profile chefs have touted the benefits of replacing refined white sugar with purportedly more natural, healthier sugars, such as honey, maple syrup, or molasses.​
But there's no truth to these common misconceptions, Johnson says. "In terms of something being inherently better about those sweeteners as opposed to table sugar or sucrose -- no." The bottom line: All are simple sugars.​
"A calorie of sugar is a calorie of sugar, so whether you're getting it from white sugar or some other type of sweetener, you're still adding empty calories to your diet," Johnson says.​

Sugar Health Effects: Is Refined Sugar Bad For You?
Eat too much pasta and other than the joy of sweet things that so many people experience, the physiological effects are the same. However, congratulate "Johnson" above. Honey is as bad and corn fructose is no worse.

The one place where sugar is a baddie is if you are diabetic or pre-diabetic. Carbohydrates take multiple minutes to enter the bloodstream. Sugars are virtually instant so there is a surge. But just don't eat the whole box of chocolates at one sitting.