Does truth matter to you?

Nov 2018
Montana
How would you explain "truth" to a dolphin or an intelligent non-human species?
I think the concept would be difficult for any creature that is unable to commit the opposite offense of telling a lie. Truth implies an awareness of the "untruth". So maybe the better way to look at the issue is to consider what makes something "untrue". Presumably, "untruth" is a statement or belief that is contrary to objectively observable or testable reality. Empiricism, so to speak.
So with "truth" we have to have an assertion or expression that has primarily consistent with the external world viewed by others.

In the case of Trump, he mirrors a certain reality his followers have, so they are unable to identify his struggle with "truth". They also are willing to tolerate his "truth" under the assumption that he sees the same reality as they do. Trump primarily appeals to those incapable of objective thinking or confuse "objectivity" with father figure allegiance.

For example, how would Trumpists confront the changing and unpredictable behavior in any other politician? Trumpists are frankly unable to perceive the inconsistencies. So, his behavior is truthful.

Oct 2010
Colorado
First up. When was the last time this country had a really probing conversation about truth? Think about that. I think the last time I really discussed "truth" with anyone was when my boys were young. It's a dialogue most parents have with their kids because most kids cross the line of "truth" at one time or another. When a young child is questioned in court the first question is ALWAYS "do you know the difference between a lie and the truth?" Most very young children KNOW the difference. Our grandson, Sam, is 4 yrs old and he can tell you the difference. So everyone KNOWS that truth is honesty, accuracy, correctness, and fact. Truth is a reality. In most cases, truth can be proven or disproven. Parents, teachers, grandparents, neighbors, and churches PREACH and TEACH truth every single day, but NOW in 2019 we need to discuss it--analyze it--review it? This is horrific. Extremely sad scenario and something I never expected.
Next, IT, I think what you are talking about is a couple of different types of truth. Addiction? Choices? Lifestyles? Morality?
Yes. Pick one and discuss it please. :)

Oct 2010
Colorado
How would you explain "truth" to a dolphin or an intelligent non-human species?
I think the concept would be difficult for any creature that is unable to commit the opposite offense of telling a lie. Truth implies an awareness of the "untruth". So maybe the better way to look at the issue is to consider what makes something "untrue". Presumably, "untruth" is a statement or belief that is contrary to objectively observable or testable reality. Empiricism, so to speak.
So with "truth" we have to have an assertion or expression that has primarily consistent with the external world viewed by others.

In the case of Trump, he mirrors a certain reality his followers have, so they are unable to identify his struggle with "truth". They also are willing to tolerate his "truth" under the assumption that he sees the same reality as they do. Trump primarily appeals to those incapable of objective thinking or confuse "objectivity" with father figure allegiance.

For example, how would Trumpists confront the changing and unpredictable behavior in any other politician? Trumpists are frankly unable to perceive the inconsistencies. So, his behavior is truthful.
Probably, we humans lie to each other about the prevalence of liars.

Here are the Best Liars in the Animal Kingdom