DOJ files brief with Supreme Court opposing workplace discrimination claims by transgender workers

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
Lovely....

DOJ files brief with Supreme Court
opposing workplace discrimination claims
by transgender workers
The Justice Department is signaling its opposition to providing federal protections for transgender employees who claim workplace discrimination.​
In a brief filed Friday at the Supreme Court, the Trump administration is opposing the position taken by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), which had been supporting a transgender employee in her lawsuit against a Michigan funeral home.​
The justices will hear a pair of arguments Oct. 8 on whether the federal Civil Rights Act’s Title VII laws permit LGBTQ workers to sue for job discrimination. Federal courts have been divided on whether such protections apply, even though Congress did not specially mention that class of individuals when the law was passed more than five decades ago.​
The cases involve challenges by gay men in Georgia and New York, and a separate case involving a Detroit-area funeral home that terminated a longtime employee after she began transitioning. Aimee Stephens first took her complaint to the EEOC, which ruled in her favor, as did a federal appeals court in Cincinnati.​
The funeral home has argued in part that Congress was not thinking about transgender people when it included sex discrimination in Title VII.​
In its filing with the high court on Friday, the Justice Department said the dispute is over the limits of the definition of “sex.”​
“A transgender plaintiff therefore cannot prevail in a Title VII suit simply by showing that an employer relied on sex stereotypes,” said the administration.​

More: DOJ files brief with Supreme Court opposing workplace discrimination claims by transgender workers

May 2018
Chicago
Seriously? WTF? What the hell is wrong with these people? I'm done with the GOP. Never will I vote for any of them again until they denounce this kind of thing. My god, trans people hurt no one. Fuck the GOP and fuck the right. I have lived on this earth for 52 years, and I am damn tired of this BS.

I have trans friends. I do not claim to understand their struggles. But all I can say is this- the people i have known who have gone through this are so much better off now. It is not necessary that I understand it. All that is necessary is that my friends are happy being who they are.

The great promise of the USA is that we are a free people. And that means freedom for anyone.

Last edited:

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
And some GOP fluffers are still trying to pedal the line that Dotard is LGBTQ freindly.

Jul 2018
Earth
Seriously? WTF? What the hell is wrong with these people? I'm done with the GOP. Never will I vote for any of them again until they denounce this kind of thing. My god, trans people hurt no one. Fuck the GOP and fuck the right. I have lived on this earth for 52 years, and I am damn tired of this BS.

I have trans friends. I do not claim to understand their struggles. But all I can say is this- the people i have known who have gone through this are so much better off now. It is not necessary that I understand it. All that is necessary is that my friends are happy being who they are.

The great promise of the USA is that we are a free people. And that means freedom for anyone.
It pays to remember that government is usually an agent of oppression and not of freedom.