DOJ taking action in curbing mass shootings

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
So you seem to imply that you are for our rights...yet you want to take away MY rights to own firearms I do....seems a little silly.
Your rights end where other people might be injured. Society has the responsibility to determine that you pose little risk to others.

If you keep your non-assault unloaded firearms and ammo locked separately and if you agree to licencing, registration of firearms, training and re-training for firearms users, temporary impoundment upon complaint by family, restriction on access to those with known history of violent psychiatric illness and periodic inspections, that would go a long way to changing the problem with firearms in the US.

Reactions: Clara007
Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
But your focus is on targeting a tool they use as opposed to targeting the problem they suffer. You can take away the tool, but it doesn't stop or help them
You are back to your faulty argument. The issue is not to prevent ALL suicide. It is to reduce suicide by firearm because firearm suicide is highly lethal.
Do you not really understand that?

Laws punishing people for crimes like murder, robbery, assault, etc are all to punish people after they committed the crime. If the law was a meaningful deterrent, the crimes wouldn't happen.
Do you seriously want to claim that laws against bank robbery do NOT deter bank robbery?
If you are as RWing as you seem to be, you no doubt believe that capital punishment is a deterrent to murder.. are you willing to give up that argument?

Even you have to recognize the difference between a proactive approach and a punitive approach that is useless because criminals will ignore it
I am interested in a pragmatic approach to firearm violence. If you can present some rational program that fulfills you "proactive" approach, I will support it . However, after arguing with you folks for years... you do not have reason solutions. You probably hold the belief that children can easily be trained to avoid firearms, you probably think that a loaded firearm in the home provides more safety than danger, you probably believe that because you can handle firearms safely everyone should be able to think and comply with your opinions. and you probably think that easily available firearms have nothing to do with criminal access to firearms because "criminals will always get the gun they want". All these are myths.

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
Biff's posts are frequently unfettered by such inhibiting factors as logic, consistency or common sense.
It would certainly be egotistical of me to think that anything I post would be understandable to you, NatMorton.

Jun 2019
CA
It would certainly be egotistical of me to think that anything I post would be understandable to you, NatMorton.
If you're going to stoop to calling someone a moron, it's more effective if you spell it correctly.

• Love
Reactions: LTP
Jul 2018
Earth
Hello! I thought no one was reading. So, make your case @Clicker II. How do 400 million firearms in America with the highest firearm death and injury rate of any equivalent society make us safer?
The death toll from guns isn't high enough to warrant imposing a police state. Why do people hate freedom so much? Do you know who is behind the push to seize guns in America? Why do you think that specific ethnic group is pushing it? Are they really trying to make America safer or do they have an ulterior nefarious objective?

Reactions: LTP and Clara007
Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
The death toll from guns isn't high enough to warrant imposing a police state. Why do people hate freedom so much? Do you know who is behind the push to seize guns in America? Why do you think that specific ethnic group is pushing it? Are they really trying to make America safer or do they have an ulterior nefarious objective?
We would not be having this discussion if there were not approx. 40,000 deaths each year from firearms.

Dec 2015
Arizona
So you are in favor of search without warrant, censorship of media, and extreme punishment (all violations of civil rights) to "protect" your privilege of purchasing a firearm easily and essentially without restriction such as inspection, training, certification, licensing or registration... go figure. Many, many accidents, suicides, and crimes are committed by "law-abiding citizens" .... until they aren't.
Bond's argument is crap and we both know it. Every country in the world shows violent movies. Every kid in the world plays video games. Most countries have extreme punishment for violent crimes that involved firearms OR, in fact, weapons of any kind. Not every country requires search warrants.
Fifty or sixty years ago every kid in this country played "cops and robbers", "cowboys and Indians", "good guy/bad guy" with their cap guns and holsters---their hats and cowboy boots. Every kid had a squirt gun, a toy gun or two, and BB guns. Every summer day you'd find little boys outside, pretending to be a good guy or a bad guy and when they got "SHOT" they played their role beautifully---grasping their chest and falling to the ground.
Farm kids had real guns and were taught from an early age how to shoot and hunt and DID WE HAVE A problem then?
Do other countries have the same gun violence problems we've got, even though they have the same movies and video games?
NO! AND why don't other countries have the same death rates? Because they have tougher gun laws.
It's really pretty damn simple.

Reactions: Biff
Jun 2019
CA
Bond's argument is crap and we both know it. Every country in the world shows violent movies. Every kid in the world plays video games. Most countries have extreme punishment for violent crimes that involved firearms OR, in fact, weapons of any kind. Not every country requires search warrants.
Fifty or sixty years ago every kid in this country played "cops and robbers", "cowboys and Indians", "good guy/bad guy" with their cap guns and holsters---their hats and cowboy boots. Every kid had a squirt gun, a toy gun or two, and BB guns. Every summer day you'd find little boys outside, pretending to be a good guy or a bad guy and when they got "SHOT" they played their role beautifully---grasping their chest and falling to the ground.
Farm kids had real guns and were taught from an early age how to shoot and hunt and DID WE HAVE A problem then?
Do other countries have the same gun violence problems we've got, even though they have the same movies and video games?
NO! AND why don't other countries have the same death rates? Because they have tougher gun laws.
It's really pretty damn simple.
You've raised an excellent point, but come to the wrong conclusion. There was a time, and I remember it well, when everyone I knew either had a gun or had access to one. We played with toy guns, and were trained to use real guns when we were old enough. We had gun safety education in school, a uniformed police officer came in and taught us. I learned to shoot in Boy Scouts. My dad bought a 22 and taught me how to shoot it well. Learning to handle a gun safely was an introduction to adult responsibility and I was NOT going to mess it up. And as you point out, mass shootings were virtually unheard of.

Now we have mandatory drug education in school because drugs are issues young people are going to have to deal with and they need the facts to make informed decisions.
We have mandatory sex education in school because sex is an issue young people are going to have to deal with and the need the facts to make informed decisions.

But if you tried to offer an NRA "Eddie the Eagle" gun safety class in a middle school today in most of California, there would be riots from the parents because guns are EVIL, EVIL, EVIL.

I would suggest that the change in mass shootings comes from, among other things, the lack of instruction in a proper attitude towards guns in young people. It's hard to blame that on the NRA.