East Dallas Methodist pastor counters First Baptist sermon with 'Why Gay Is OK' msg

May 2008
Southern USA
[SIZE=-1]By ED HOUSEWRIGHT / The Dallas Morning News

[/SIZE] The pastor of little Grace United Methodist Church took a swipe at big First Baptist Church of Dallas on Sunday with a sermon titled "Why Gay Is OK."

The message was delivered as a counterpunch to "Why Gay Is Not OK," a November sermon by First Baptist pastor Dr. Robert Jeffress.

"I knew I had to preach about this," the Rev. Diana Holbert said Sunday.

She told her diverse East Dallas congregation that homosexuality is not a big issue in the Bible and that Christians should be more focused on subjects such as health care, greed in the corporate world, and the welfare of children.

About a third of the church's membership is gay or lesbian, she said.

During her sermon, Holbert said, "God doesn't discard or discriminate."

"The Bible has often been used to attack gay and lesbian persons," she said. "Let's put a stop to that."

Jeffress issued a rebuttal to Holbert's sermon even before her service began.

"I wonder if her follow-up message will be 'Why Adultery is OK' or 'Why Incest is OK,' " he wrote last week in an e-mail to The Dallas Morning News.

"The Bible says sex is reserved for a man and a woman in a marriage relationship," he continued. "Once you reject God's Word as our absolute authority in all matters, then any perversion is permissible."

Holbert, whose husband is a professor at Southern Methodist University's Perkins School of Theology, chose her words slowly in responding after her sermon. She said she had never met Jeffress.

"I want to be careful," she said in an interview. "I don't want to call him anti-scholastic. I don't want to get in a fight with him."

Then she added, "I kind of feel sorry for him."

Just as Jeffress had done, Holbert publicized her sermon's title.

"For years, gay people have given up on organized religion because it has condemned them," she wrote recently in the Dallas Voice, a gay newspaper. "At Grace this simply does not happen."

Jeffress' sermon six months ago drew about 100 protesters outside the downtown church. They sang "Jesus Loves Me" and carried signs with messages such as "Christ Taught Love Not Hate."

On Sunday, no one protested Holbert's sermon outside the 106-year-old church on Haskell Avenue. Inside, she spoke to 186 worshippers, a fraction of the number attending First Baptist, which had 10,000 members last year. She based her sermon on Acts 10:9-28, 34-48.

"'What God has made clean, you must not call profane,' " Holbert said, reading from verse 15.

Andy Smith and his longtime partner, Paul von Wupperfeld, began attending Grace United Methodist Church more than a decade ago, in part because of its acceptance of gays.

"This is not about a battle with First Baptist," Smith said. "It's about Grace and what the church has to offer all children of God."

Gays and lesbians in attendance made little effort to hide their sexuality, nor did they flaunt it. Several put their arms around their partner's shoulder during the service. Two men held hands discreetly as they returned to the pew after taking communion at the front of the sanctuary.

Penny Camfield, a lesbian, said she had stopped going to church before discovering Grace United Methodist about 15 years ago.

"I was getting conflicting messages: Jesus loves you, but ...," she said. "You could do everything right, but still be judged because of who you were."

East Dallas Methodist pastor counters First Baptist sermon with 'Why Gay Is OK' message | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News

-------------------------------------

Mar 2007
Ga
I don't know what Bible that church follows, but it would seem to me that the sodomy, fornication, and lack of anything mentioning same sex marriage would go a long way to invalidating ANYTHING they may teach about it being "okay".

That's some strange interpretation.

Jul 2007
tristanrobin said:
Sounds a lot like our church.

That's the way I feel about all bigots - I kind of feel sorry for them - but mostly I simply loathe them.

I feel sorry for those who are bigoted because of ignorance. Those who have shown that they prefer to stay ignorant and bigoted, I find disgusting.

Mar 2007
Ga
Catus Felidae said:
I feel sorry for those who are bigoted because of ignorance. Those who have shown that they prefer to stay ignorant and bigoted, I find disgusting.
Those who have shown that they would rather ignore the obvious illogical nature of homosexuality are the ignorant ones. Most be another new word that the homosexuals have "redefined". Cause in most dictionaries ignorant means...

lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified

And there is still no knowledge that explains why anyone will be a sexual deviant of any kind. "Normal variation" my ass.

In this case I guess ignorant mean "people who won't buy our bullshit" and if that's their new working definition, I guess I am it.

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
fxashun said:
I don't know what Bible that church follows, but it would seem to me that the sodomy, fornication, and lack of anything mentioning same sex marriage would go a long way to invalidating ANYTHING they may teach about it being "okay".

That's some strange interpretation.

It may be a strange interpretation, but it is THEIR interpretation....and according to the Constitution of the United States the government is not allowed to make laws that favor one religious interpertation over another (as long as such interpertation does not interfere in the rights of others)

The government is perfectly within the limits of the Constitution to say that human sacrafice is not allowed (as it interferes in the "right to life" of the sacraficee)...but to favor one church's interpretation of what marriage should be over that of another church is so counter to the idea of a seperation of church and state that the fact that ANYONE buys into it is kind of scary.

Mar 2007
Ga
Err ya, okay. Just wondering why they don't just write their own Bible if they are gonna ignore the one they claim to be using...

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
fxashun said:
Err ya, okay. Just wondering why they don't just write their own Bible if they are gonna ignore the one they claim to be using...

They aren't "ignoring it" they are interpreting it differently.

If you don't like their interpretation, then don't join their church.

Mar 2007
Ga
Nwolfe35 said:
They aren't "ignoring it" they are interpreting it differently.

If you don't like their interpretation, then don't join their church.
I don't go to church. BUt I find that any "interpretation" of the Bible that finds a positive message for the homosexual is a bit specious. They can do what they like of course, but honestly, a gay Christian is like a pyromaniac fireman.

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
fxashun said:
I don't go to church. BUt I find that any "interpretation" of the Bible that finds a positive message for the homosexual is a bit specious. They can do what they like of course, but honestly, a gay Christian is like a pyromaniac fireman.

Just as I find any interpretation of "conservative" that includes opposition to gay marriage to be a bit specious.

But they are free to their interpretation and I won't join their "church" (The GOP)

To me an anti gay conservative is a hypocrite