Electoral College Monday

Nov 2012
nirvana
This is a thread to discuss the voting on Monday by the Electoral College. Will any Electors not vote the way the actual voters, voted?

Who on the Left is holding out hope that there will be a shocking turn of events on Monday?
There actually is a good chance some won't.

There is an equal chance some won't vote at all.

There is also a chance some may resign, as at least one in Texas already has.

Holding out hope the majority will vote for somebody else is merely petty projection on your part.

The fact that this discussion is even taking place only adds another asterisk beside the election.

There has never been a discussion about the decision the electoral college might make, in any election in my lifetime.

There are people who really are wondering how the vote is going to go.

The majority of them being Trump voters. :-D

Reactions: 2 people
Aug 2014
Earth
What is the point of having an "Electoral College" if the elector is bound to choose a certain candidate by law? This is contrary of what the Electoral College was set up for. Electors can vote for whomever they want. If 279 of them vote for Dick Van Dyke, then Dick Van Dyke is the President. Really.

Americans do not vote directly for President. Never have. You vote for these people and these people (electors) choose. Sort of surprising no one has ever challenged these state laws "binding" electors to a certain candidate.

The GOP electors could choose someone else, then throw the election to the House of Reps and have them choose someone who isn't Trump. Dunno. Maybe Paul Ryan, or whomever. The GOP gets rid of Trump, gets their own guy in and that's that. But that would be a shitshow too.

I am not big about Mike Pence and I think us liberal friends here don't like the guy because of the gays, but Pence could do the job as President. I don't think Trump will know what the hell he is doing, or really has an idea on how government works. Not that Trump is stupid, he is far from stupid and quite intelligent, but again, I think the man thinks he was elected King, and he is now seeing what being President entails.

Sort of like being a rock star. Ask some struggling musician if they want to be famous and we'll known. Most will jump at the chance, but are not told of the pressures of making profitable music, or of touring, sleeping in strange hotel rooms and constant traveling. Or having lots of people depending on you to do your job so they get paid. Take the veneer of the glamour and see what is left. Same with being President.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
What is the point of having an "Electoral College" if the elector is bound to choose a certain candidate by law? This is contrary of what the Electoral College was set up for. Electors can vote for whomever they want. If 279 of them vote for Dick Van Dyke, then Dick Van Dyke is the President. Really.

Americans do not vote directly for President. Never have. You vote for these people and these people (electors) choose. Sort of surprising no one has ever challenged these state laws "binding" electors to a certain candidate.

The GOP electors could choose someone else, then throw the election to the House of Reps and have them choose someone who isn't Trump. Dunno. Maybe Paul Ryan, or whomever. The GOP gets rid of Trump, gets their own guy in and that's that. But that would be a shitshow too.

I am not big about Mike Pence and I think us liberal friends here don't like the guy because of the gays, but Pence could do the job as President. I don't think Trump will know what the hell he is doing, or really has an idea on how government works. Not that Trump is stupid, he is far from stupid and quite intelligent, but again, I think the man thinks he was elected King, and he is now seeing what being President entails.

Sort of like being a rock star. Ask some struggling musician if they want to be famous and we'll known. Most will jump at the chance, but are not told of the pressures of making profitable music, or of touring, sleeping in strange hotel rooms and constant traveling. Or having lots of people depending on you to do your job so they get paid. Take the veneer of the glamour and see what is left. Same with being President.
Actually, the way some members of this forum talk about the British Monarchy, I think the electoral college is exactly the same thing, a powerless anachronism.

Reactions: 1 person
Sep 2015
Lehigh Valley Pa.,USA
What interest?

Is there any real question but that Mr. Trump will be elected?

I loathe the idea - but it is the way it is.

Now we simply have to work very hard to keep any of his insane ideas or policy ideas from becoming reality.
That all depends on your definition of "insane".....Secured borders, a balanced budget, responsible regulations and a vital military are very sane in my books

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
There actually is a good chance some won't.

There is an equal chance some won't vote at all.

There is also a chance some may resign, as at least one in Texas already has.

Holding out hope the majority will vote for somebody else is merely petty projection on your part.

The fact that this discussion is even taking place only adds another asterisk beside the election.

There has never been a discussion about the decision the electoral college might make, in any election in my lifetime.

There are people who really are wondering how the vote is going to go.

The majority of them being Trump voters. :-D
In essence you are saying that Monday morning quarterbacks have the ball. They do not swear an oath to vote for either party and vote as their conscience decides. Hillary still has a slim chance.

Jul 2015
chicago
In essence you are saying that Monday morning quarterbacks have the ball. They do not swear an oath to vote for either party and vote as their conscience decides. Hillary still has a slim chance.
That's what I heard in that too. Warms the cockles of my heart to hear such ridiculous hope. Its going to make Monday somehow more bearable. Hehehe

Jul 2015
chicago

The GOP electors could choose someone else, then throw the election to the House of Reps and have them choose someone who isn't Trump. Dunno. Maybe Paul Ryan, or whomever. The GOP gets rid of Trump, gets their own guy in and that's that. But that would be a shitshow too......
That's the spirit! Thank you for contributing to my Monday evening posts. Going to see a whole lot of these faces on Liberals tomorrow evening.
<------------------------

Last edited:
Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
That's the spirit! Thank you for contributing to my Monday evening posts. Going to see a whole lot of these faces on Liberals tomorrow evening.
<------------------------
Liberals suffered the agony of defeat and accept it just as I would have done. It's not if you win or lose but how you play the game.

Feb 2014
nunya

You are missing the entire point of the electoral college. Its not about "advising" electors how to vote. It is equality among the regions in Presidential elections. It is about keeping New Hampshire views and opinions in value along with California, or New York or Texas.

Read this
Why 'Hamilton Electors,' Who Would Make Hillary Clinton President, Are as Dead as Their Namesake - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Reactions: 1 person