End licensing and certification

Feb 2020
Houston
There was a time I had trouble gaining weight and thought that I might have worms. So I swallowed a couple of my Dog's de-wormer tablets. On the box I remember it said something like "illegal for human consumption law# xxxxx, whatever."

It is all an infringement of rights. Flops, I believe it is already illegal for you to open a poker game in your own home, right? Soon Mrs. Flops might need a license to cook you dinner in her own kitchen too.
IKR?

My wife is half Italian and half Southern. The last thing I keed is government to tell me whether she can cook or not.

Poker is semi-legal where tolerated in Texas.

I could have a home game, use my own chips, take turns dealing, etc. and that's not against the law.

It's against the law to host poker if you make money from the poker. So our poker houses interpret that to mean they can open a room just for poker, but only charge a "membership" and a fee to "rent" your seat. They can't have a rake, i.e. take a percent of the pot, the same thing that got Molly Bloom busted in New York.

About a year ago, I think, Kim Ogg, the DA of Harris County, where Houston is, busted two of the biggest card rooms, arresting the managers and dealers and then picking up the owner. She announced they were money launderers, railed against the demon evils of gambling and smugly watched her poll number grow with the Baptists who hate gambling and the Catholics who wanted their bingo to not have competition.

Then it turned out she had a corrupt relationship with Amir Mireskandari, a "consultant" who "works with" other poker houses, i.e. owns them through a straw purchaser. So she let all nine arrested go, gave them back the money she confiscated and turned the case over to FBI who promptly round-filed it.

Nothing happened to her or Mireskandari, of course.

Because government.

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
That's what I'm talking about. But as to the deadly chemicals in my house, first, I am a chemist by education so I know and respect them. Secondly, if some fool wants to go out and stick his finger in a bottle of muriatic acid he bought at Lowe's, even with all the warnings on the label, whatever he gets he deserves.

But if Mrs. RNG goes to a supposed pro to get a facial or a hairdo and gets messed up, that is a different beast and totally wrong. As soon as you are paying money for something, the customer has the right to have reason to believe they are in good hands.
She doesn't have to go there again. My barber has no license and my haircuts are great. My point is that licensing and certification do not guarantee, competence, safety or quality and that is my only point. They are a way to register yourself and your business to be taxed. Like being forced to be in a union.

Doctors still do malpractice and teachers still molest kids.

Last edited:
Jul 2019
Georgia
She doesn't have to go there. My barber has no license and my haircuts are great. My point is that licensing and certification do not guarantee, competence, safety or quality and that is my only point.

Doctors do malpractice and teachers still molest kids.
are you 100% anti-regulation though?

haircuts, mechanic work, and some other trades don't necessarily require regulation, however, people trust them more, for obvious reasons.

but you don't live reg-free. Even when you were Ubering, you had a drivers license, and insurance, and were 1099'd.

Reactions: leekohler2
Mar 2020
Land of Freedom

haircuts, mechanic work, and some other trades don't necessarily require regulation, however, people trust them more, for obvious reasons.

but you don't live reg-free. Even when you were Ubering, you had a drivers license, and insurance, and were 1099'd.
In general yes, I do not want to regulate people's trust either. I want people to be free to choose. Personally, I don't smoke weed because I am one of those who gets bad trips and panic attacks form it (even from India). However, I would trust the grass you sell since I can tell you are an "unlicenced" expert! smiles.

I promise I will get to this later and have bookmarked it. I have to move house now. Thanks for the question.

Last edited:
Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
I worked with a guy whose girlfriend was a dental assistant for 15 years. He had a bad, bad toothache. one Sunday when the office was closed, she just took him in and game him a root canal and filled it up by herself. He said she was so good that it was completely painless, he couldn't even feel himself being numbed.

I buy ALL my prescription drugs online or in countries that are willing to sell them to me without prescription. This is called the black market. The black market is the free market that is forced into hiding.

I am my own doctor and prescribe my own drugs. Last I had some pain urinating and looked up the symptoms and it seemed to be just a bladder infection. I went out and bought Bactrim with no script and got rid of the infection within a few days. Going to the bathroom felt better within 8 hours.
You have an idiot for a patient "Doctor."

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Licencing and certification is discrimination.

Did you know that besides being a layer, you need to have license to be a packager, a hair braider, a florist, operate food truck, an interior designer, a Home Entertainment Installer, a travel agent, an upholsterer, a gas pumper,...The list goes on forever.

The individual’s right to select his or her occupation, to earn a living in the manner of her choosing, is a fundamental one, entitled to the most exacting standard of legal protection. Under current constitutional jurisprudence, however, these basic economic rights are afforded so little protection that governments can restrict them practically without limit.

Why does a barber need to be licensed? Why does a contractor need to be certified? These are just simple examples to look at.

Licensing and certification does not guarantee competence or quality. Licensed doctors still do mal practice and licensed teachers to have sexual relationships with their students.

Uber is a good proof that no licensing or certification is needed to do the same job as a taxi which would cost over 100k to get a medallion. It is nonsense. in the 1930s, you could just paint the word taxi in your car and you were a taxi. Same if you wanted to open a barbershop.

Licencing and certification is for government organizations to collect money and keep unfair competition out of the market. What is an unfair competition? Anyone who sells the same product or services as you but for a lower price.

If the government wants to put people to work then get rid of all licensing, certification, minimum wage, permits welfare, and taxes. Make it easy for people to work and make it unprofitable for people to not work.
I’ve read through this post two times because I struggled to believe ideas could be so extensively dumb.

I was wrong

I should note I’m not saying the individual is dumb. But the idea is thoroughly

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom

Well, the movers are late so I am free. (I am going to give them the lowest rating in the world!!! Nah, I just won't buy them lunch as I was planning to.)

I believe I am but then again, there are so many regulations, literally, millions of pages. I, of course, can't go through them all. I can say that more regulations equal more government and I am against big government. In fact, I want government to all but cease to exist. All of the arguments and grievances covered in this thread can be taken care of through tort laws.

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
Well, the movers are late so I am free. (I am going to give them the lowest rating in the world!!! Nah, I just won't buy them lunch as I was planning to.)

I believe I am but then again, there are so many regulations, literally, millions of pages. I, of course, can't go through them all. I can say that more regulations equal more government and I am against big government. In fact, I want government to all but cease to exist. All of the arguments and grievances covered in this thread can be taken care of through tort laws.

Who will write the tort laws?
Who will interpret them?
Who will enforce them?

Reactions: se7en
Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
Who said anything about minorities?

There was a case last year about a girl in South Carolina who was kidnapped, raped, and murdered by a man posing as an Uber driver. She was drunk and therefore her social inhibitions were compromised. She didn't use common sense, and just got into the first car she saw without using due diligence (i.e. checking the license plate and car make of your requested driver using the Uber app).
That has nothing to do with what we are talking about. It has nothing to do with licensing and certification. May she rest in peace.