End licensing and certification

Dec 2018
New England
Licensing and certification is proof that you have been thoroughly trained in a specific field, and have mastered it to the extent that you are trusted to do it.

Even Uber requires you to have a driver's license and insurance. Also, it's clear that you have never been an Uber driver. There is definitely a "system" to driving Uber that ensures efficiency as there is to everything else.
If those are valuable things then the market will choose them. For example, you may think it's important to visit a licensed barber or hairdresser. That's fine. You work in, ask if he or she is licensed, and when they say "no" you walk out. Others may not care; the old Italian guy who cuts hair in his garage and does a great job at it is fine for others.

Licensing only makes sense when the application of the profession involves the customer's wellbeing (medical services, high risk transportation like flying, etc.)

FreedomTo' is right to a point. Licensing (e.g. taxi medallions) is often a means for creating artificial scarcity of a service, thus keeping prices higher than they ought to be.

Reactions: se7en
Jul 2019
Georgia
Well, the movers are late so I am free. (I am going to give them the lowest rating in the world!!! Nah, I just won't buy them lunch as I was planning to.)

I believe I am but then again, there are so many regulations, literally, millions of pages. I, of course, can't go through them all. I can say that more regulations equal more government and I am against big government. In fact, I want government to all but cease to exist. All of the arguments and grievances covered in this thread can be taken care of through tort laws.
tort laws like civil torts?

that's even worse. if you hurt someone's feelings (which they could technically claim you committed a civil tort against them), how is it decided who's right? You still have to have the court system.

unless you're referring to something else?

as far as no regulations, unless you grow all of your own food, and make your own building and household items, and are completely self-sufficient, there are some regs to be grateful for. the internet and device you're using to access the internet are regulated. your device most likely won't blow up in your hand due to regulations. And even on a self-sufficient commune, you're not going to have a guy who can build devices to get on the internet. You are bowing down to many regulations as you browse the internet.

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
tort laws like civil torts?

that's even worse. if you hurt someone's feelings (which they could technically claim you committed a civil tort against them), how is it decided who's right? You still have to have the court system.

unless you're referring to something else?

as far as no regulations, unless you grow all of your own food, and make your own building and household items, and are completely self-sufficient, there are some regs to be grateful for. the internet and device you're using to access the internet are regulated. your device most likely won't blow up in your hand due to regulations. And even on a self-sufficient commune, you're not going to have a guy who can build devices to get on the internet. You are bowing down to many regulations as you browse the internet.
se7en,

A bit tired after moving all day and will talk more about it. Generally speaking, a tort is when one person or entity inflicts an injury upon another in which the injured party can sue for damages. I don't think hurting someone's feelings applies to this but then as you said, I might be speaking of something else.

I do enjoy gardening and planting but it doesn't mean I have to grow my own stuff or build my own house. I can pay to have it build on my own private property. As for my device, regulations didn't stop Samsungs from exploding. It was a bad choice in battery and perhaps quality control. The recalled the phones and paid the damages.

As for bowing down, I am so exhausted that right now I bow down to only you. Have a good one.

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
are you 100% anti-regulation though?

haircuts, mechanic work, and some other trades don't necessarily require regulation, however, people trust them more, for obvious reasons.
but you don't live reg-free. Even when you were Ubering, you had a drivers license, and insurance, and were 1099'd.
Don't know if I am against all regulation, including safety regulation but probably. I am for sure against regulations that protect existing producers from competition and probably for regulations that nurture monopolies and block free-enterprise from competing.

Jan 2015
MD
I’m no Jeff Gordon, but I was given a license as proof that I have mastered driving to the point that I can comfortably and safely get in a car and drive from one place to another.

Without a license, how would the public know this?