Equating Intelligence with a Degree is an indication of Inferior Intellect

May 2018
USA
Yes, and thank you. For me there were several reasons. I was financially cut off by my family when I came out, so I had to wait to be able to get grants and loans to go it alone. I worked two jobs in the meantime. I made it through another year and a half and realized the I was getting nothing out of it but torture. Financial aid people were horrible to me and it seemed like no matter what I did, I had to battle them daily. After constantly being frustrated and feeling like I was working for nothing, I finally said, STOP. No more. I need to change gears. I moved to Chicago literally with $800 in my pocket and no plan other than to find the first job I could and a place to live. I did that the first week I moved here, and have had nothing but success since. It was really hard, but it was the right path for me.

What else would you like to know?
Recently "outed" myself on a different issue: atheism. My mother was a little shocked, but I wasn't ostracized like you were. That SUCKS. If it happened to me I'd probably literally have nothing to do with them ever again.

Dec 2016
Canada
Saying “Person X has a degree, therefore they have intelligence” is foolish

Saying “Person Y doesn’t have a degree, therefore they have lower intelligence” is obsurde

Saying “The average person with a degree likely has higher intelligence than the average person without a degree” is not
So, how much does that degree mean in today's world, where....as I'm told...everyone who wants to work in the professional world, especially in academia today has to have a PHD, which used to be a mark of distinction.

We've known for a long time that NO measure of intelligence actually can measure creativity or creative thinking. And it gets worse, when we consider economic class aspects of higher education, where kids from rich families are going to get whatever they need to graduate from college. Back a few decades ago, there was a long, simmering controversy over exactly how Ted Kennedy got his law degree! By the time the Ted came along in that family, there wasn't enough left in the brains department, and then alcoholism took care of the rest! He was sort of a forerunner of guys like GW Bush, and I would add of late - Brett Kavanaugh...who also came out with a silver spoon in his mouth and had the way pushed along for him so he could meet his grand goals later in life.

So how many unexceptional dullards are getting the push while creative original thinkers who you often find working very mundane jobs have great insights?

Dec 2016
Canada
I am the only Tradesman that I know and work for free on my property. If you want me to work on your property, to show up will cost you 10,000 and all work after that is 50,000 per hour if I am so inclined.
You don't have to exaggerate that far to chase off everyone looking for free or nearly free work done to their homes!
One of my older brothers started up a small repairs and renovations business after getting a layoff notice at 40. He was willing to do some limited free or cheap work for...especially retirees who didn't want to sell their homes but also had limited income, but if he did a job off-book even for a relation, somehow the word would get around and we would find cousins we never knew existed or hadn't seen since early childhood!
All he had to do was start giving them the standard book-value estimates and they would rarely call back. If they did, then he would give them a break/but otherwise it's the curse for everyone in home construction. And, after they closed down the business and sold off their tools, he got rid of his one ton truck...to end the calls from every clown looking for a free moving job!

Dec 2016
Canada
An argument I hear most often from people who flunked out of college. Here's how it is:

1. Some degrees require noodlepower, some don't. A PhD in Education probably has a lower IQ than a guy with a PhD in Engineering (any kind). Most college degrees don't require anything more than average intelligence. Some, however, require high intelligence or you'll never pass the classes required to enter the school.

2. Intelligence is not dependant on education whatsoever. There's no reason a tribesman in remote Lappland can't have a higher IQ than a college professor.

3. Intelligence without focus is nearly useless. A guy can still be a worthless, lazy sack of crap even if he has an IQ of 180.

The fact of the matter is a person with average IQ can do amazing things if they work hard. A smarter person will save themselves work to achieve the same, or better, results.
There is no such thing as one standard measure of intelligence as books like "The Bell Curve" tried to put out 25 years ago! Intelligence can be in many different traits, and someone can be very smart in one and stupid in everything else....that would explain a lot of what happens in this world.

And what would you say about the growing proliferation of PHD's today? Is it a sign that university students are getting smarter/ or has the bar been lowered so everyone who can afford to stay in school through their 20's can have one?

Dec 2018
New England
So, how much does that degree mean in today's world, where....as I'm told...everyone who wants to work in the professional world, especially in academia today has to have a PHD, which used to be a mark of distinction.

We've known for a long time that NO measure of intelligence actually can measure creativity or creative thinking. And it gets worse, when we consider economic class aspects of higher education, where kids from rich families are going to get whatever they need to graduate from college. Back a few decades ago, there was a long, simmering controversy over exactly how Ted Kennedy got his law degree! By the time the Ted came along in that family, there wasn't enough left in the brains department, and then alcoholism took care of the rest! He was sort of a forerunner of guys like GW Bush, and I would add of late - Brett Kavanaugh...who also came out with a silver spoon in his mouth and had the way pushed along for him so he could meet his grand goals later in life.

So how many unexceptional dullards are getting the push while creative original thinkers who you often find working very mundane jobs have great insights?
It's not that a degree is a measure of intelligence, it's that there is a tendency of those who are intelligent to get degrees just as it is a tendency for those thick as bricks to not get one.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
All a college Degree does is show you have a knowledge in a specific area, and you have the ablility to follow instructions and learn to procedures..

May 2018
USA
There is no such thing as one standard measure of intelligence as books like "The Bell Curve" tried to put out 25 years ago! Intelligence can be in many different traits, and someone can be very smart in one and stupid in everything else....that would explain a lot of what happens in this world.

And what would you say about the growing proliferation of PHD's today? Is it a sign that university students are getting smarter/ or has the bar been lowered so everyone who can afford to stay in school through their 20's can have one?
Did you actually read "The Bell Curve"? It was more a slam on the "welfare class" than anything else. It had tons of legitimate hard data, but the interpretation of the authors (including Charles Murray, mentioned in one of the threads in this forum) was highly questionable. It was labeled "racist" by the reactionary left, in fact. It's an interesting book because 1) most conservatives aren't smart enough to understand the context of the book, it's thrust, and the evidence therein and 2) the extreme left HATED it, and 3) the academic world just kinda yawned and said "tell us something we don't already know". For the record I thought it was an interesting read, but depending on your political views it could be very annoying.

Regarding PhDs, I have no idea what yhou mean by "growing proliferation". Why, have numbers of PhDs suddenly doubled or something? No? The fact of the matter is this: the more people in the world, the more people attending universities, the more people will get PhDs. Nothing mysterious about that. It's kinda like when conservatives bitch about the budget going up every year (hilariously, since their tax cuts did more to grow the deficit than spending ever has). OF COURSE the budget goes up every year. It SHOULD go up every year as the number of citizens needing government services increase.