Exclusive: Americans say Soleimani's killing made US less safe, Trump 'reckless' on Iran

Feb 2007
USA
Exclusive: Americans say Soleimani's killing made US less safe, Trump 'reckless' on Iran

Susan Page
USA TODAY

Americans by more than 2-1 say the killing of Iranian Gen. Qasem Soleimani has made the United States less safe, a nationwide USA TODAY/Ipsos Poll finds, amid broad concerns about the potential consequences ahead.

A majority of those surveyed, by 52%-34%, called Trump's behavior with Iran "reckless."

Americans were divided on the wisdom of the drone strike at the Baghdad airport last week that killed Soleimani and others: 42% supported it, 33% opposed it; 25% said they didn't know what to think. Republicans were much more supportive than Democrats; independents were almost evenly split.

But there was overwhelming agreement – in each case by more than 6-1 – that the attack made it more likely Iran would strike American interests in the Middle East (69%), that there would be terrorist attacks on the American homeland (63%), and that the United States and Iran would go to war with each other (62%).

By 52%-8%, those polled said the attack made it more likely that Iran would develop nuclear weapons.

The online survey of 1,005 adults, taken Tuesday and Wednesday, has a credibility interval of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points. The Iranian rocket attack on U.S. bases in Iraq took place near the end of the time the poll was in the field. The survey was completed before President Trump addressed the nation from the White House Wednesday.

Continued here:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/01/09/killing-soleimani-made-us-less-safe-trump-reckless-iran-poll/2835962001/
And with no clear long-term strategy, short of seemingly apparent eventual all out war with Iran, I think these polling results kind of make sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: leekohler2
Dec 2018
New England
Sometimes it’s how the question is asked. For example, I wonder what the split would be were the question “Should the US respond militarily if Iran sponsors terrorist attacks that kill Americans?”

Jun 2018
South Dakota
This is funny. The liberals run a continuous program of doom and gloom. The MSM runs it on a loop then they do a poll to find out if it's effective and if it is they pop out articles like this. The loon are constantly trying to skew reality into their fantasy land of doom and gloom.

Feb 2007
USA
Sometimes it’s how the question is asked. For example, I wonder what the split would be were the question “Should the US respond militarily if Iran sponsors terrorist attacks that kill Americans?”
Sure, the way a question is asked in any poll-along with the allowed answer options given in said poll-does play a role in how poll respondents answer the question.

Indeed, regarding your question, the respondents might ask themselves, "Well, what do they mean by "respond militarily?"

And, of course, poll respondents could also wonder when formulating an answer to your question, or the questions asked in the cited poll, what is the long term strategy regarding Iran?

And, given American citizen's memories of the US's invasion of Iraq and the blood and treasure spent regarding that invasion and its aftermath, I think it is not unreasonable that their answer to your question, as well as the answers to the cited poll question, are influenced by that decision to invade Iraq and topple Saddam.

And, it certainly appears that Trump hasn't laid out before the American public exactly what the long term US strategy happens to be regarding his pressure campaign on Iran, particularly if Iran acts to decrease its nuclear weapon breakout period, increases its regional activities such as in Yemen, Iraq, and Syria, and refuses to even show up at the negotiation table unless the pressure campaign-meaning all associated sanctions-is ended first.

So, the polling results of the cited poll kind of make sense to me, regardless if you believe that other questions, perhaps, should have been asked in that cited poll.

Feb 2007
USA
This is funny. The liberals run a continuous program of doom and gloom. The MSM runs it on a loop then they do a poll to find out if it's effective and if it is they pop out articles like this. The loon are constantly trying to skew reality into their fantasy land of doom and gloom.
And what I find sad is Trump supporters who, in effect, clearly appear to act like lemmings, blindly following their cult leader off whatever cliff he chooses for them to fall off of.

:rolleyes:

Feb 2007
USA
I have watched previously reasonable right wing members of this site completely lose any sense of right or wrong in the last few years.
Perhaps this site is a microcosm of the American society macrocosm.

But, it certainly appears that Trump has achieved a cult figure-like status, with many of his supporters being active participants in and enabling said Trump cult.

Most certainly.

Reactions: leekohler2
Dec 2015
Arizona
Sure, the way a question is asked in any poll-along with the allowed answer options given in said poll-does play a role in how poll respondents answer the question.

Indeed, regarding your question, the respondents might ask themselves, "Well, what do they mean by "respond militarily?"

And, of course, poll respondents could also wonder when formulating an answer to your question, or the questions asked in the cited poll, what is the long term strategy regarding Iran?

And, given American citizen's memories of the US's invasion of Iraq and the blood and treasure spent regarding that invasion and its aftermath, I think it is not unreasonable that their answer to your question, as well as the answers to the cited poll question, are influenced by that decision to invade Iraq and topple Saddam.

And, it certainly appears that Trump hasn't laid out before the American public exactly what the long term US strategy happens to be regarding his pressure campaign on Iran, particularly if Iran acts to decrease its nuclear weapon breakout period, increases its regional activities such as in Yemen, Iraq, and Syria, and refuses to even show up at the negotiation table unless the pressure campaign-meaning all associated sanctions-is ended first.

So, the polling results of the cited poll kind of make sense to me, regardless if you believe that other questions, perhaps, should have been asked in that cited poll.
Nat is always *ALWAYS* looking for a crack in the wall so he can squeeze through.

May 2018
none
Perhaps this site is a microcosm of the American society macrocosm.

But, it certainly appears that Trump has achieved a cult figure-like status, with many of his supporters being active participants in and enabling said Trump cult.

Most certainly.
Yep, and it’s sad indeed.