Exclusive: Americans say Soleimani's killing made US less safe, Trump 'reckless' on Iran

Nov 2005
California
Probably very little, if anyone cares. Trump's policies are the same old detested GOP boilerplate that Democrats have opposed for over 20 years. The question is are we any safer now than we were 10 days ago? I doubt it.
I agree with you.
To take your statement a step further on the topic of this thread, NatMorton should provide an example of the left killing the top ranking general of another country during a time of peace to demonstrate his claim to be true.
But he can't do that. EVEN REPUBLICANS questioned Trump's actions.

It's not about just Dems hate Trump, although I get why it's easy to just parrot the mindless propaganda.

Feb 2007
USA
Actually, Soleimani was a terrorist to far more than the west...sadly though, the news isn't reporting all the people who are extremely happy that he's dead. Even in Iraq they had people running through the streets cheering. I get it, you don't want to realize how bad he was and how hated he was because it doesn't fit your narrative...too bad.

We have economic sanctions on Iran and anyone who "deals" with them will essentially be met with losing commerce with us as well and I'm not sure if you realize this or not, but everyone wants our products and wares. So yeah, anyone can trade with Iran but it would cost them dearly as well so most don't take that chance.

Iran was one of the most amazing nations I've ever visited back in 1977. The people were amazing, the place was breathtaking, and the food was wonderful. Sadly a couple years later, all that changed as soon as the current "supreme leader" took over and imposed some very backwards policies. Telling me they aren't authoritarian is like me telling you that superman is real...it's pure BS. If you'd like to better understand it, please, feel free to travel there yourself. Iranians in general are amazing and warm loving people...their government isn't. Don't tell me they are not authoritarian because you have no clue what you're talking about....CLEARLY! I lost several of my good friends because they made the fatal error of speaking against their leadership to the wrong people. I am so tired of ignorant people living in bubbles thinking they know how the world is because some delusional media source says all is well.

I have never and will never consider Iran like NK and I'm not sure where you go that impression. as for voting their leaders in...well...you believe Trump is evil because democrats convinced you to hate him...they convinced you to hate anything he does. They mock Trump and call into question anyone who thinks Trump is doing well as stupid furthering this idea that trump is bad. Everything you feel about our president is programmed in by the very party you think is good. That's exactly what Iranian politicians have done but the problem is...vermin like soleimani stay in their position of authority while elected officials come and go because they are behind the scenes and the one pulling the strings and devising the plans to create chaos. Your impression of them being smart and only taking it SO far is true...but if they are real muslims, they should be looking for peace and not chaos but that's exactly what they strive for...chaos.
Sure, Soleimani was considered as a terrorist by other people besides people in the US and the West. But your beating of a dead horse, in this case Soleimani, doesn't somehow change the observation that many Iranians view his assassination as an attack on Iran and an act of war on Iran by the US, even if they personally didn't like Soleimani and considered him a terrorist.

Also, for individuals without reading comprehension issues, I quite clearly stated, "the truth is, the Iranian government simply isn't as authoritarian as many people in the US seem to exaggerate it to be," which is quite clearly not the same thing as you saying, "telling me they aren't authoritarian is like me telling you that superman is real...it's pure BS." And, in fact, there are degrees of authoritarianism. And, there are certainly countries which are quite demonstrably more authoritarian, overall, than Iran, such as Saudi Arabia and, of course, North Korea. But the point I made, of which you appear to have great difficulty in comprehending, is that many people in the US seem to exaggerate how authoritarian Iran happens to be...and NOT that there is no authoritarianism at all in Iran.

Finally, for the record, Trump simply isn't worthwhile even hating. However, I would say that he is an apparent ignorant imbecile who apparently somehow believes that a better deal with Iran can be had than the JCPOA, despite the US now having significantly less leverage over Iran than the US had during the Obama administration before the JCPOA talks and agreement was made.

:rolleyes:

Sep 2019
CA
Don't tell us to look things up. If you make a claim, you look it up and post a link. It's not up to us to do your homework.

Lastly, there are a lot of intelligent posters on here who use their brains constantly. Just because you to not agree with them, does not mean they aren't.
I link stuff all the time but many on the left side of the aisle simply discount it as partisan nonsense. The real difference is that I read and listen to both sides with an open mind, you guys don't.

Sep 2019
CA
Sure, Soleimani was considered as a terrorist by other people besides people in the US and the West. But your beating of a dead horse, in this case Soleimani, doesn't somehow change the observation that many Iranians view his assassination as an attack on Iran and an act of war on Iran by the US, even if they personally didn't like Soleimani and considered him a terrorist.

Also, for individuals without reading comprehension issues, I quite clearly stated, "the truth is, the Iranian government simply isn't as authoritarian as many people in the US seem to exaggerate it to be," which is quite clearly not the same thing as you saying, "telling me they aren't authoritarian is like me telling you that superman is real...it's pure BS." And, in fact, there are degrees of authoritarianism. And, there are certainly countries which are quite demonstrably more authoritarian, overall, than Iran, such as Saudi Arabia and, of course, North Korea. But the point I made, of which you appear to have great difficulty in comprehending, is that many people in the US seem to exaggerate how authoritarian Iran happens to be...and NOT that there is no authoritarianism at all in Iran.

Finally, for the record, Trump simply isn't worthwhile even hating. However, I would say that he is an apparent ignorant imbecile who apparently somehow believes that a better deal with Iran can be had than the JCPOA, despite the US now having significantly less leverage over Iran than the US had during the Obama administration before the JCPOA talks and agreement was made.

sanctions work...and it will bring Iran to the table because they are embargoed and can't sell their oil or buy things they need. Killing Someimani was necessary as he was about to strike at us again but I guess that doesn't matter to you because his inadvertent attacks aren't direct enough to be called an act of war themselves? Maybe you need to reevaluate things and recognize soleimani was attacking us and repeatedly killing our citizens. Killing him wasn't an act of terror or war, it was simply eliminating a threat to our people. Too bad you don't value us enough to care and instead are more worried about how others view us no matter how many lives are lost. Weakness brings more death...strength brings less. If you slapped me and got away with it, you'd keep thinking you could do it again and again because I'm not stopping you. However, when I break your damn arm the next time you try to slap me...you'll likely think twice next time and be less inclined won't you...same with Iran.

Mar 2018
Rosebud
Amazing how the MSM and the Dims are such hypocrites, not to mention some posters.

Reactions: Happytruthseeker
Feb 2007
USA
sanctions work...and it will bring Iran to the table because they are embargoed and can't sell their oil or buy things they need. Killing Someimani was necessary as he was about to strike at us again but I guess that doesn't matter to you because his inadvertent attacks aren't direct enough to be called an act of war themselves? Maybe you need to reevaluate things and recognize soleimani was attacking us and repeatedly killing our citizens. Killing him wasn't an act of terror or war, it was simply eliminating a threat to our people. Too bad you don't value us enough to care and instead are more worried about how others view us no matter how many lives are lost. Weakness brings more death...strength brings less. If you slapped me and got away with it, you'd keep thinking you could do it again and again because I'm not stopping you. However, when I break your damn arm the next time you try to slap me...you'll likely think twice next time and be less inclined won't you...same with Iran.
And yet, despite US sanctions of various forms being applied to Iran for most of the time period since the Shah was toppled, and despite UN sanctions being applied to Iran for a period starting in 2006 and ending as per the JCPOA going into force via a UN Security Council Resolution, neither the Iran regime was changed nor the Iran nuclear program was stopped. And, even the current unilateral US sanctions that the Trump administration has applied on Iran hasn't entirely stopped the flow of oil from Iran, nor has it entirely stopped imports from reaching Iran.

Indeed, as of late last year, Iran's crude oil production is a bit more than half of what it was when Trump took office.:

https://tradingeconomics.com/iran/crude-oil-production

Also, now that US-Iraq relations appear to be significantly souring, Iraq can make the decision to accept more oil from Iran via pipelines running into Iraq from Iran, which would be later shipped out from Iraq. And, that export path is already being utilized by Iran.

And, of course, your strength versus weakness diatribes don't address these observations. In fact, they just reek of emotion-filled vengeance rather than being full of reality-based pragmatism.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Amazing how the MSM and the Dims are such hypocrites, not to mention some posters.

Apparently you have missed the dozens of times DTT posters have exposed the ridiculous "WHATABOUTISM" from the Right. Why bother posting?
Obama is not the president. Obama is not the topic. 2800 wrongs don't make a right.
The TOPIC includes two names--two individuals: Soleimani and Trump.
If you've got something of interest that involves SOLEIMANI and/or TRUMP, post it.

Reactions: se7en and RNG
Dec 2018
New England
Apparently you have missed the dozens of times DTT posters have exposed the ridiculous "WHATABOUTISM" from the Right. Why bother posting?
Obama is not the president. Obama is not the topic. 2800 wrongs don't make a right.
The TOPIC includes two names--two individuals: Soleimani and Trump.
If you've got something of interest that involves SOLEIMANI and/or TRUMP, post it.
Clara, if you believe the killing of Seleimani was reckless, what do you think a responsible response would have been?

Jul 2019
Georgia

there's a "whatabout Obama drones" thread here, you should check it out

• Haha
Reactions: Clara007
Sep 2019
CA
And yet, despite US sanctions of various forms being applied to Iran for most of the time period since the Shah was toppled, and despite UN sanctions being applied to Iran for a period starting in 2006 and ending as per the JCPOA going into force via a UN Security Council Resolution, neither the Iran regime was changed nor the Iran nuclear program was stopped. And, even the current unilateral US sanctions that the Trump administration has applied on Iran hasn't entirely stopped the flow of oil from Iran, nor has it entirely stopped imports from reaching Iran.

Indeed, as of late last year, Iran's crude oil production is a bit more than half of what it was when Trump took office.:

https://tradingeconomics.com/iran/crude-oil-production

Also, now that US-Iraq relations appear to be significantly souring, Iraq can make the decision to accept more oil from Iran via pipelines running into Iraq from Iran, which would be later shipped out from Iraq. And, that export path is already being utilized by Iran.

And, of course, your strength versus weakness diatribes don't address these observations. In fact, they just reek of emotion-filled vengeance rather than being full of reality-based pragmatism.

Why is it that the left is all over trump over the passenger plane that crashed over the weekend till today when Iranians are protesting in the streets blaming their regime and not Trump?

I feel like honestly, too many people want to hate trump while he's truly helping to wake people up and we're starting to see it around the globe. Iranians are generally good people and I have such a love for Iran that I can never describe. That said, their regime has taken them down a dark path since 1979 and the people have been under a dark cloud since. Only now are the people starting to recognize the error and they're standing up against it.

I'd bet that you are no more a trade expert than I am, and I am definitely not. I trade options and stocks very often and have made a good killing but I'm no expert. As such, I often defer to the real experts to negotiate better trade deals who understand it in ways I simply wouldn't. Trump has had to make literally hundreds if not more trade deals with foreign countries, states, etc during his time as a businessman. Between you, a person who I'd bet is like me, a novice, and Trump, I'd defer to his better judgement on trade over yours because he has the experience and knowledge and just because you don't understand his path doesn't mean anything.

As for my emotional diatribes...no, I've just had the chance to deal with middle eastern people and countries before and I know how they think and literally how they're raised to believe. I understand that they consider strength far more valuable than weakness and talking and negotiating with them is considered a weakness. Not all of us can live in a bubble like you...some of us have lived outside the USA in many countries throughout our lives and know first hand how ignorant Americans generally are to reality. I personally witnessed a 2nd in command execute the 1st in command for showing weakness back in 1978. You talk about what you can find and tell me I'm being emotional for stating how these people often think and frankly is screams such ignorance and stupidity on your part that you really need to open your eyes and recognize your bubble is cutting off the oxygen to your brain.