Fact Check Archives

Dec 2015
Arizona
Do you fact check? Do you? What about some of those great memes? Do you fact check them?
Here's your chance to present and post some of the out-and-out LIES posted every day on social media. I'll start. (Thanks for the idea, Bubba!)
Did House passage of H.R. 1 allow noncitizens to vote?
No. That bill would enact a host of changes to election laws, but it does not permit noncitizens to vote.
March 13, 2019

Obama Didn’t Give Iran ‘150 Billion in Cash’
A viral meme distorts the facts about the Iran nuclear agreement. The deal, approved by six countries and the European Union, gave Iran access to its own frozen assets.
March 1, 2019

Social Security Falsehood Circulates Again
Social media posts wrongly claim Democrats voted against the Social Security cost-of-living increase for 2019. Adjustments to Social Security benefits are not decided by lawmakers.
Jan. 4, 2019

Does the U.S. provide medical insurance and voting rights to immigrants in the country illegally?
No. A viral meme misrepresents what such immigrants are entitled to in the U.S.
Nov. 9, 2018

Did President Trump donate his $400,000 salary to military cemeteries?
No. A year-old viral email makes that claim. But the president does indeed donate his salary to different government initiatives each quarter.
Aug. 7, 2018
Did FactCheck.org expose Snopes.com as an “extremely liberal propaganda site”?
No. That false claim was made in a meme circulating online.
March 6, 2018

Has the Food and Drug Administration announced that vaccines cause autism?
No. FDA statements are grounded in scientific evidence. There is no evidence that vaccination is linked to autism.
Nov. 22, 2017

Did President Donald Trump send Barack Obama a bill for his “vacation scam”?
No. That bogus claim comes from a “satirical publication.”
June 19, 2017

Can members of Congress retire and receive their full pay after serving one term?
No. Only senators are eligible for a pension after one term, but it won’t be their full salary.
Jan. 5, 2015

Did Barack and Michelle Obama “surrender” their law licenses to avoid ethics charges?
No. A court official confirms that no public disciplinary proceeding has ever been brought against either of them, contrary to a false Internet rumor. By voluntarily inactivating their licenses, they avoid a requirement to take continuing education classes and pay hundreds of dollars in annual fees. Both could practice law again if they chose to do so.
June 14, 2012

Is it true that members of Congress, their staffers and their family members do not have to pay back their student loans?
Not true. Some congressional employees are eligible to have up to $60,000 of student loans repaid after several years — just like other federal workers. But that’s not the case for members of Congress or their families.
Jan. 6, 2011

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Can we add HYPOCRITES to the list Clara ?? My brother and a couple of former coworkers are CONSTANTLY sharing Ted "shitty pants" Nugent posts !!! I bite my tongue every time !!!

Seriously, this guy stated in an interview that starting a month before his meeting at the draft board he stopped bathing, shaving, brushing his teeth or even combing his hair. He ate nothing but junk food. Then a week before he stop going to the bathroom. When I saying going to the bathroom, I mean physically getting up and walking in to poop or pee. He just WENT IN HIS PANTS !!!! This is how he showed up at his draft board. Unbathed and with pants filled with shit and piss. He achieved what Corporal Klinger could only dream of !!! A real live section 8 !!!

Now this guy shoots his guns, waves the flag and pretends he's a real patriot !!!! Makes me wanna puke every time I see his face or they post one of his quotes !!

Dec 2015
Arizona
Can we add HYPOCRITES to the list Clara ?? My brother and a couple of former coworkers are CONSTANTLY sharing Ted "shitty pants" Nugent posts !!! I bite my tongue every time !!!

Seriously, this guy stated in an interview that starting a month before his meeting at the draft board he stopped bathing, shaving, brushing his teeth or even combing his hair. He ate nothing but junk food. Then a week before he stop going to the bathroom. When I saying going to the bathroom, I mean physically getting up and walking in to poop or pee. He just WENT IN HIS PANTS !!!! This is how he showed up at his draft board. Unbathed and with pants filled with shit and piss. He achieved what Corporal Klinger could only dream of !!! A real live section 8 !!!

Now this guy shoots his guns, waves the flag and pretends he's a real patriot !!!! Makes me wanna puke every time I see his face or they post one of his quotes !!
Another psycho. My God!

Nov 2012
Chicago
Do you fact check? Do you? What about some of those great memes? Do you fact check them?
Here's your chance to present and post some of the out-and-out LIES posted every day on social media. I'll start. (Thanks for the idea, Bubba!)
Did House passage of H.R. 1 allow noncitizens to vote?
No. That bill would enact a host of changes to election laws, but it does not permit noncitizens to vote.
March 13, 2019

Obama Didn’t Give Iran ‘150 Billion in Cash’
A viral meme distorts the facts about the Iran nuclear agreement. The deal, approved by six countries and the European Union, gave Iran access to its own frozen assets.
March 1, 2019

Social Security Falsehood Circulates Again
Social media posts wrongly claim Democrats voted against the Social Security cost-of-living increase for 2019. Adjustments to Social Security benefits are not decided by lawmakers.
Jan. 4, 2019

Does the U.S. provide medical insurance and voting rights to immigrants in the country illegally?
No. A viral meme misrepresents what such immigrants are entitled to in the U.S.
Nov. 9, 2018

Did President Trump donate his $400,000 salary to military cemeteries?
No. A year-old viral email makes that claim. But the president does indeed donate his salary to different government initiatives each quarter.
Aug. 7, 2018
Did FactCheck.org expose Snopes.com as an “extremely liberal propaganda site”?
No. That false claim was made in a meme circulating online.
March 6, 2018

Has the Food and Drug Administration announced that vaccines cause autism?
No. FDA statements are grounded in scientific evidence. There is no evidence that vaccination is linked to autism.
Nov. 22, 2017

Did President Donald Trump send Barack Obama a bill for his “vacation scam”?
No. That bogus claim comes from a “satirical publication.”
June 19, 2017

Can members of Congress retire and receive their full pay after serving one term?
No. Only senators are eligible for a pension after one term, but it won’t be their full salary.
Jan. 5, 2015

Did Barack and Michelle Obama “surrender” their law licenses to avoid ethics charges?
No. A court official confirms that no public disciplinary proceeding has ever been brought against either of them, contrary to a false Internet rumor. By voluntarily inactivating their licenses, they avoid a requirement to take continuing education classes and pay hundreds of dollars in annual fees. Both could practice law again if they chose to do so.
June 14, 2012

Is it true that members of Congress, their staffers and their family members do not have to pay back their student loans?
Not true. Some congressional employees are eligible to have up to $60,000 of student loans repaid after several years — just like other federal workers. But that’s not the case for members of Congress or their families.
Jan. 6, 2011
While it's ture that it was Iran's own money, that's like catching a burglar in one's home and having him drop his gun, and you pick it up and give it back because it's his. Pretty stupid thing to do isn't it, well Obimbo did just that.:rolleyes:

Apr 2013
La La Land North
While it's ture that it was Iran's own money, that's like catching a burglar in one's home and having him drop his gun, and you pick it up and give it back because it's his. Pretty stupid thing to do isn't it, well Obimbo did just that.:rolleyes:
Your analogy isn't applicable to this situation. But that RW agitprop sure does work.

On some.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee

And what people like you INSIST on ignoring is that it was NOT Obama ALL BY HIMSELF !!!! It was FIVE OTHER NATIONS and the EU !!!! Are you saying Putin and China were stupid too ?? Germany and the EU ??

And for what it's worth, it was nowhere near $150 billion. More like $58 billion.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Well, that's just weird. Your analogy sucks.
Here's what it's like.
The IRS finds you have canoodled your 2017 taxes. So they freeze your bank accounts. You take the case to court. The court agrees with you and NOT the IRS. The IRS releases YOUR money to YOU.
The money was Irans. Sanctions were placed on IRAN. Sanctions: bans, barriers, restrictions.
Asset Freezes/Seizures These prevent assets from a country, or an individual in that country, from being used. They cannot be moved or sold.

The UN used those sanctions/cash to negotiate the Iran Nuclear deal. As long as Iran cooperated they got back the assets.
NOW, because Trump is such an amazing genius, Iran not only has their ASSETS $$$ but the ability to start nuclear escalation again.

Oct 2010
Colorado

It makes sense that he's a President Bone Spurs supporter.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
The UN used those sanctions/cash to negotiate the Iran Nuclear deal. As long as Iran cooperated they got back the assets.
NOW, because Trump is such an amazing genius, Iran not only has their ASSETS $$$ but the ability to start nuclear escalation again.

And there it is Clara. The deal may have been far from perfect. Maybe very far from perfect. But at least we had them talking and letting inspectors into the country to poke around. What have we got now ?? NOTHING !!!