Fact Check: Trump's State Of The Union Address

Nov 2018
Inner Space
Who Really Pays Uncle Sam's Bills?

I guess we are just going to disagree. If more people are employed, there is going to be more tax paid at a lower rate. So, the revenue stayed basically the same, rather than increasing as expected by the increased employment. I find it highly unlikely that the Trump tax cut to corporations and the rich will improve government revenue sufficiently to offset the anticipated 1.5 trillion cost over 10 years. We are already seeing an increase in the deficit as a result-- an increase that would not have occurred if the Trump tax cut had not been made. Tax cuts stimulate an economy by a benefit to those who spend all their money-- the middle and lower class and stimulate consumption. A tax cut makes no sense in an improving economy with near full employment unless the goal is to overheat the economy and produce inflation.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
Unemployment going up at the same time that the rate of job creation is increasing is a good thing.

Trump claimed 600k manufacturing jobs since election day, which is 481k and of course Trump rounded that to 600k.

You will notice on the chart that we had a net loss of manufacturing jobs from the time Obama took office until he left office.

Personal twits are opinion, not facts.
Rounded....

If you owed me $481,000, and I said give me $600,000 and we'll be even, you'd go for that?

Sep 2017
Hell
Rounded....

If you owed me $481,000, and I said give me $600,000 and we'll be even, you'd go for that?
Normally no, but your avatar image looks just like a mobster,. I shall send Vito Luca to discuss this discrepancy with you after I have met with the Five Families.

Sep 2018
KC, MO
I would like the conservatives and pro-Trumpers here to imagine what Trump would be saying if the employment and GDP numbers were mediocre--
Why ??
Since It Isn't
No president can change the economy in less than 2 years and likely 4 is typically necessary.
That's What Obama And All The Experts
Said It Couldn't Be Done
Obama Said Trump Would Need A Magic Wand

Nope
Just A Pen And A Phone
And A Reversal Of Obama policies
This is an Obama economy, not a Trump economy.
Again
Obama Himself Said It Couldn't Be Done
All The Experts Agreed
I'm Guessing They Thought Obama's Policies Would Remain In Effect
Trump trumpeters should realize that presidents do not create economies in their first term-- they inherit economies...
Nope
Trump Reversed Obama Regulations And Policies

This Would Be An Obama Economy
If Trump Had Continued Obama's Policies
He Started Annulling Obama's Policies On The First Day
Re-Read The Papers
This Is Trump's Economy

If Obama Hadn't Been In The Way
This Economy Would Have Happened 8yrs Ago
The Recovery Trend Started In The 4Q Of 2008
Before Obama Was Inaugurated

chart1recessionandrecovery.jpg

May 2018
Chicago
How did you figure the graph ended in 2016? Did you even bother to look carefully or even attempted to read the header?
I looked at what was posted. I could not click on anything, I tried to, but it wouldn't work. Trust me, I tried. I would not have posted what I did otherwise.I just clicked again, here's a link:

Fact Check: Trump's State Of The Union Address

If I missed something, please help me out.

Last edited:
Dec 2015
Arizona
Unemployment going up at the same time that the rate of job creation is increasing is a good thing.

Trump claimed 600k manufacturing jobs since election day, which is 481k and of course Trump rounded that to 600k.

You will notice on the chart that we had a net loss of manufacturing jobs from the time Obama took office until he left office.

Personal twits are opinion, not facts.

Look, Lib. Employment is a good thing, okay. No one is disagreeing and I'll repeat---GOOD FOR TRUMP. If you really want the truth here it is. We've had almost 10 years of U.S. economic growth, the unemployment rate is at a 30-year low. Hooray! So if you want bragging rights to Donald Trump's job rate success--go for it. The problem is your ongoing "hits" on the Obama administration. You can't compare the two economies. Period. All we need to know is that 10 years of economic growth is good for Americans......well....until it's not.
There is a dark side to today's low unemployment rate. Wages are stagnant. Technology is getting ahead of us. Healthcare, food, and housing prices are out of control. Our expenses are growing faster than our income. Inflation is here (we just don't notice it) and the gap between wages and costs is not closing. Interest rates (mortgages) are up and are expected to hit 5% this year. 50% of Americans have no savings at all--no retirement plans---and live hand to mouth. The government shutdown certainly didn't help.
Then there's the difficulty in hiring. It's harder for employers to attract the right kind of people. Companies are seeing "walk-aways" & candidates are just "disappearing" in the interview process because they see so many other opportunities available.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for JOBS--just like everyone else, but this is not all rainbows and roses.

Nov 2018
Inner Space
Why ??
Since It Isn'tThat's What Obama And All The Experts
Said It Couldn't Be Done
Obama Said Trump Would Need A Magic Wand

Nope
Just A Pen And A Phone
And A Reversal Of Obama policiesAgain
Obama Himself Said It Couldn't Be Done
All The Experts Agreed
I'm Guessing They Thought Obama's Policies Would Remain In Effect Nope
Trump Reversed Obama Regulations And Policies

This Would Be An Obama Economy
If Trump Had Continued Obama's Policies
He Started Annulling Obama's Policies On The First Day
Re-Read The Papers
This Is Trump's Economy

This Economy Would Have Happened 8yrs Ago
The Recovery Trend Started In The 4Q Of 2008
Before Obama Was Inaugurated

View attachment 2941
My point was that Trump never owns his failures but frequently claims as his successes the products of other forces or people.
I suppose trying to introduce a tiny bit of realism will never work on those afflicted by belief in Trumpist propaganda.
Trump has done nothing substantial to influence the economy to the degree claimed. Even the tax cut, an unnecessary stimulus to a economy already improving, did very little. However, your reluctance to recognize that Trump is incapable of admitting responsibility for errors does match nicely with the needs of every autocrat to have support from those incapable of objective thought.

Sep 2018
KC, MO
...but frequently claims as his successes the products of other forces or people.
This Is Trump's Economy
This Would Have Been Bush's Recovery
Plus Trump's Trade Negotiations
Which Are Working

The Recovery Trend Was Underway
In The Last Quarter Of 2008
Before Obama Was Even Inaugurated
As You Have Been Shown

Op-Ed Columns And Pundits Are Not News Reports

Jun 2013
Katmandu
Look, Lib. Employment is a good thing, okay. No one is disagreeing and I'll repeat---GOOD FOR TRUMP. If you really want the truth here it is. We've had almost 10 years of U.S. economic growth, the unemployment rate is at a 30-year low. Hooray! So if you want bragging rights to Donald Trump's job rate success--go for it. The problem is your ongoing "hits" on the Obama administration. You can't compare the two economies. Period. All we need to know is that 10 years of economic growth is good for Americans......well....until it's not.
There is a dark side to today's low unemployment rate. Wages are stagnant. Technology is getting ahead of us. Healthcare, food, and housing prices are out of control. Our expenses are growing faster than our income. Inflation is here (we just don't notice it) and the gap between wages and costs is not closing. Interest rates (mortgages) are up and are expected to hit 5% this year. 50% of Americans have no savings at all--no retirement plans---and live hand to mouth. The government shutdown certainly didn't help.
Then there's the difficulty in hiring. It's harder for employers to attract the right kind of people. Companies are seeing "walk-aways" & candidates are just "disappearing" in the interview process because they see so many other opportunities available.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for JOBS--just like everyone else, but this is not all rainbows and roses.
It's not hits on the Obamaconomy, just correcting lies that people tell about it.