Federal Judge: Trump can end DACA

Jul 2015
USA
See: Maryland judge strikes down DACA challenge

3/5/2018

”A federal judge in Maryland on Monday struck down a a challenge to President Donald Trump's decision to end protections for undocumented immigrants, stating that while he does not agree with Trump's move, it is not his job to set immigration policy.”

The Judge is absolutely correct that his job is to not question immigration policy.

JWK

"The public welfare demands that constitutional cases must be decided according to the terms of the Constitution itself, and not according to judges' views of fairness, reasonableness, or justice." -- Justice Hugo L. Black ( U.S. Supreme Court Justice, 1886 - 1971) Source: Lecture, Columbia University, 1968

Nov 2012
nirvana
See: Maryland judge strikes down DACA challenge

3/5/2018

”A federal judge in Maryland on Monday struck down a a challenge to President Donald Trump's decision to end protections for undocumented immigrants, stating that while he does not agree with Trump's move, it is not his job to set immigration policy.”

The Judge is absolutely correct that his job is to not question immigration policy.

JWK

"The public welfare demands that constitutional cases must be decided according to the terms of the Constitution itself, and not according to judges' views of fairness, reasonableness, or justice." -- Justice Hugo L. Black ( U.S. Supreme Court Justice, 1886 - 1971) Source: Lecture, Columbia University, 1968

I agree. When the new Democratic President is sworn in on January 20, 2021, he can immediately bring every single dreamer deported back, without any permission from Congress or the courts, but entirely by executive order.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
This is a victory in theory only. Rulings from a multitude of other courts make this decision moot.

Jul 2015
USA
This is a victory in theory only. Rulings from a multitude of other courts make this decision moot.
You are dreaming! Get over it. It's time to rid ourselves of this parasitic infestation.

JWK

American citizens are sick and tired of being made into tax-slaves to finance the economic needs of millions of poverty stricken, poorly educated, low and unskilled aliens who have invaded America borders.

Feb 2018
Web
I agree. When the new Democratic President is sworn in on January 20, 2021, he can immediately bring every single dreamer deported back, without any permission from Congress or the courts, but entirely by executive order.

Why y'all, why? Don't you know that is what President Obama did by order? And that will in the end be found illegal. Maybe Trump should by EO bring in millions of white South Africans.

Last edited:
Jul 2015
chicago
Obama's DACA executive order was not challenged in court. Had it been it would have been struck down. eliminating an over reach executive order is different than creating one.

Last edited:
Dec 2012
California
Although I do have some sympathy for a few of the children who were brought here by their illegal alien parents at an young age, I disagree with Trump's decision to allow the illegal alien parents of these children to remain.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Obama's DACA executive order was not challenged in court. Had it been it would have been struck down. eliminating an over reach executive order is different than creating one.
My understanding is Obama's order is EXACTLY what they've been litigating. If the order was illegal, then Trump is free to do as he pleases, including deporting those who have been participating in the program.

If on the other hand Obama's order is legal, then while Trump can stop accepting new applications he can NOT undo protections given to those who applied under Obama.

Our laws are NOT retroactive. If something was legal when you did it, you can't be prosecuted for it later when it has been made illegal.