Fiber optics

Apr 2013
Left coast
Our cable/internet provider ran fiber optics into our apartment condo complex a couple of weeks ago. There was much debate among residents whether to sign up or not but then they made a great offer, in fact two years at a cheaper rate than the copper service. So the changeover was three days ago.

And wow. I use an internet speed website that measures upload and download speeds. Previously my download speeds were close to 28 units, whatever they are and upload were around 6.5.

With the fiber, they are now above 45 and 35 respectively. It is a noticeable difference. Good stuff.

Jan 2014
Glad to hear things are working out.
We just had our cable guy out to help us with a new smart tv and he upgraded all the equipment. He hooked my computer up to something called Ethernet and I love it.

Jun 2018
South Dakota
Glad to hear things are working out.
We just had our cable guy out to help us with a new smart tv and he upgraded all the equipment. He hooked my computer up to something called Ethernet and I love it.
Ethernet is just a wired connect to your router. It can be faster and more reliable than wifi. I have one computer on ethernet and other devices on wifi that show a contrast from time to time. Fiber optics are far faster and have more bandwidth than copper but it must be brought to your distribution device to be fully effective. Also check to see what the bill will go up to after you'r committed!

Apr 2013
Left coast
I just ran the test again and it's up to 88 Mbps and 92 for download and upload. Might be less business use on weekends or whatever. It has seemed to keep going up. I will watch it for a few days.

As to the cost, the way it works here is I have a two year contract. It can still be increased but to do so would require permission of our regulatory agency and would have to be applied to all services. Just the fiber optics customers or a few customers can't be targeted. And it would be an across the board X%.

Apr 2015
Stockport. UK
I have a fiber optic broadband/cable contract with Virgin Media for 200Mbps.
The max speed you can get with this company is 350Mbps.

Apr 2013
Left coast
I have a fiber optic broadband/cable contract with Virgin Media for 200Mbps.
The max speed you can get with this company is 350Mbps.
Do you actually get that. Earlier there were many people who complained that they were not getting the results various suppliers offered. The CRTC (Canadian Radio and Television Commission), the regulator, clamped down on that.

My provider doesn't promise numbers.

Apr 2015
Stockport. UK
That's the speed for an ethernet connection, but in the same room as my router I just got a speed of 176Mbps via WiFi.
Do you actually get that. Earlier there were many people who complained that they were not getting the results various suppliers offered. The CRTC (Canadian Radio and Television Commission), the regulator, clamped down on that.

My provider doesn't promise numbers.
It can vary but I get speeds around 200 most of the time
Broadband Speeds | Check our Internet Speeds

Last edited: