First Gene-Edited Babies? WHOA!

Dec 2015
Arizona
Chinese scientist claims world's first gene-edited babies, amid denial from hospital and international outcry.
A Chinese hospital has denied involvement in the alleged delivery of the world's first genetically edited babies, and experts worldwide have voiced outrage at such use of the technology.
The pushback comes amid claims made online by scientist He Jiankui that twin girls had been born with DNA altered to make them resistant to HIV, a groundbreaking move that could spark huge scientific and ethical dilemmas.
He, a professor at Southern University of Science and Technology in Shenzhen, claims that his lab had been editing embryos' genetic codes for seven couples undergoing in-vitro fertilization.
In a video posted to YouTube on Monday, the Chinese researcher said that one of the pregnancies had been successful and that ostensibly healthy twin girls Lulu and Nana had been born "a few weeks ago."

He claims that he used a tool known as CRISPR-cas9, which can insert or deactivate certain genes. In his YouTube video, He describes the procedure as having "removed the doorway through which HIV enters."
But the hospital named in He's ethical approval documents, Shenzhen Harmonicare Women's and Children's Hospital, has denied involvement in the procedures.
"We can ensure that the research wasn't conducted in our hospital nor were the babies born here," a hospital representative said. The hospital confirmed that two of the doctors named in He's documents work at the hospital and suggested that an internal investigation was underway.
Editing the genes of embryos intended for pregnancy is banned in many counties, including the United States. In the UK, editing of embryos may be permitted for research purposes with strict regulatory approval. It is unknown whether the procedure is safe or, if used in pregnancy, whether it can have unintended consequences for the babies later in life or for future generations.
Hybrid babies? Are we ready for that?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/26/health/china-crispr-gene-editing-twin-babies-first-intl/index.html

Oct 2010
Colorado
It's nuts. Humans have established beyond a reasonable doubt that we can't beneficially and sustainably use the technologies we have.

Enhancing the human animal can't be too far behind.

Probably, resistance is futile.

Nov 2017
Virginia
It's nuts. Humans have established beyond a reasonable doubt that we can't beneficially and sustainably use the technologies we have.

Enhancing the human animal can't be too far behind.

Probably, resistance is futile.
Who's to say something like this hasn't been going on for a while? This Star Trek TOS episode with Khan came out in 1967: "Star Trek" Space Seed (TV Episode 1967) - IMDb

This guy who was interviewed, in the following video, said he was 6 years old in 1966, when he was taking some sort of test for uncertain reasons:

Now I'm not necessarily trying to argue that this guy is a real life version of Khan, but I do find the parallels rather interesting. Regarding some of the things he says in this interview, I don't think some of it is true; I think some of it is what he was conditioned to believe to possibly cover up some other things.

And yes, I certainly do think it's possible & maybe even probable that all of this Project Camelot stuff is just as much made up as WWE wrestling, but how can we determine one way or another? I'm open to suggestions.