First Gene-Edited Babies? WHOA!

Dec 2015
Arizona
Buckle up, kids. It looks like another gene-edited baby is on the way.
HONG KONG (AP) — A Chinese researcher who claims to have helped make the world’s first genetically edited babies says a second pregnancy may be underway.

The researcher, He Jiankui of Shenzhen, revealed the pregnancy Wednesday while making his first public comments about his controversial work at an international conference in Hong Kong.

He claims to have altered the DNA of twin girls born earlier this month to try to make them resistant to infection with the AIDS virus. Mainstream scientists have condemned the experiment, and universities and government groups are investigating.

Altering DNA before or at the time of conception is highly controversial because the changes can be inherited and might harm other genes. It’s banned in some countries including the United States except for lab research.

Sounds a bit like playing God.

Another gene-edited baby may be on the way, scientist says

The second pregnancy is in a very early stage and needs more time to be monitored to see if it will last, He said.

Leading scientists said there are now even more reasons to worry, and more questions than answers, after He’s talk. The leader of the conference called the experiment “irresponsible” and evidence that the scientific community had failed to regulate itself to prevent premature efforts to alter DNA.

Nov 2012
Rhondda
Unless they can breed babies to live in ovens or breathe underwater, I don't suppose it matters much now!

May 2018
Chicago
this is what they said when they found a cure for polio and styphillis we are the masters of our own destiny technology is the new god
Pretty sure a lot of the friends I lost in the 80s to AIDS would have appreciated it if this tech was around when they were born. If this actually works, I say go for it.

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
Pretty sure a lot of the friends I lost in the 80s to AIDS would have appreciated it if this tech was around when they were born. If this actually works, I say go for it.
they cant cure aids but i was amazed by the late 80s there were guys i knew with aids that had had it for ten years and maintained a reasonable level of health and quality of life i rember the 80s and forgive the terminolgy people dropped like flies they got sick and bofre you could visit them in the hospital( alot of us wouldnt ahsamed to say it but we were to scared to be around it) they were gone.. i mean people wouldnt last a month the cocktail of drugs they they invente eventually would not sure it but kept people alive a lot longer and in a state where life was at least livable you had to watch your diet and aviod drugs and booze but at least you were alive.. technology is amazing.. it by no mean disporves te existnce of god.. but it baffles me the god squad feels so threatened by the genious of mans mind.. what did god give us a brain for ?! A paper weight ??