For those who still think the border facilities are fine

Nov 2012
Chicago
Here is the link from the Office of Inspector General, an office under the Trump administration, that notes for the SECOND time in about a month the horrible conditions at the boarder facilities.

https://www.oig.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/assets/2019-07/OIG-19-51-Jul19_.pdf

You don't want to believe CNN? Fine
You don't want to believe MSNBC? Cool
You don't want to believe Fox News? Great

But this is the agency assigned for investigating this kind of shit.

PS Note page 7 which shows photos of and describes rooms with a max capacity under 50, holding 70-80 migrants.

Conservatives for Cruelty stand proud
Are you a moron? It's not the Conservatives but the Damn old Democrats along with those greedy Swamp critters who are at fault; they hate the President so much they consistently refuse to pass or even consider anything that he supports. We could accomplish so much more than we have, and frankly it's a miracle the Republicans have been able to pass any legislation at all, Trump has had to fight the D.C. swamp, along with the Obama/Clinton deep state, and the fake Mueller investigation along with a dishonest, hypocritical media, as well as a dishonest, hypocritical, and uncaring Congressional House of Representatives, whose leadership in all reality doesn't give a dam for those folks crossing the border. They only care about one thing and that's defeating Trump in 2020! Oh yes, I almost forgot to mention those hypocritical, self inflated, Hollywood political "Pundits". SurelyTrump deserves a second term, and maybe with a republican majority again he will be able to keep his promise to MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

Jul 2018
Earth
FWIW, my answer is absolutely not. We need to set a number. I don't know if that number is 1 million new immigrants per year or 10. Whatever, it needs to be a number that our social services can handle. Furthermore, we need to take that yearly number and divvy it up. A percentage for refugees. A percentage for PhDs. A percentage of Europeans, of Asians, of Africans, etc. And first and foremost, we need to secure the border (both physically and conceptually; overstaying visas is by far the more common means for illegal immigration).

Immigration is wonderful. Illegal immigration is not.
One hundred years ago the President set the immigration quota. Maybe that is one power that he should reclaim?

Jul 2018
Earth
Are you a moron? It's not the Conservatives but the Damn old Democrats along with those greedy Swamp critters who are at fault; they hate the President so much they consistently refuse to pass or even consider anything that he supports. We could accomplish so much more than we have, and frankly it's a miracle the Republicans have been able to pass any legislation at all, Trump has had to fight the D.C. swamp, along with the Obama/Clinton deep state, and the fake Mueller investigation along with a dishonest, hypocritical media, as well as a dishonest, hypocritical, and uncaring Congressional House of Representatives, whose leadership in all reality doesn't give a dam for those folks crossing the border. They only care about one thing and that's defeating Trump in 2020! Oh yes, I almost forgot to mention those hypocritical, self inflated, Hollywood political "Pundits". SurelyTrump deserves a second term, and maybe with a republican majority again he will be able to keep his promise to MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
That is the most passionate expression of support I have read from any PODS trump supporter on any forum. You should ask him for a job.

Reactions: leekohler2
Dec 2018
New England
One hundred years ago the President set the immigration quota. Maybe that is one power that he should reclaim?
It's an interesting Constitutional question. I'm not sure which branch has that authority, but my guess would be the Executive.

Jul 2018
Earth
It's an interesting Constitutional question. I'm not sure which branch has that authority, but my guess would be the Executive.
The only clause in the Constitution that covered immigration was the one that put an import tax on slaves. That clause is no longer in effect. Consequently, there is no clause that deals with the issue of immigration. The Constitution gives Congress the power to regulate the naturalization process but it does not authorize it to regulate immigration. It is one of those things that Congress or the President can control if they are so inclined to take it on.

Reactions: leekohler2
Dec 2018
New England
The only clause in the Constitution that covered immigration was the one that put an import tax on slaves. That clause is no longer in effect. Consequently, there is no clause that deals with the issue of immigration. The Constitution gives Congress the power to regulate the naturalization process but it does not authorize it to regulate immigration. It is one of those things that Congress or the President can control if they are so inclined to take it on.
It's possible either national security (Executive) or general welfare (Congress) could apply.

Jul 2018
Earth
It's possible either national security (Executive) or general welfare (Congress) could apply.
The way the Constitution is written, anyone can come into the country. It is only regulated by various laws and treaties but not by the Constitution.

There is an interesting tidbit from history. When the eleven States seceded from the Union their inhabitants were no longer American citizens. Consequently, all of the kids born in those States during that time until the particular State was readmitted to the Union were foreigners. The 14th Amendment did not make them "natural born" citizens. The 32nd Vice President was born in Texas when it was a part of a foreign country so, Constitutionally, he should have been barred from being elected Vice President. He gained his citizenship when Texas was readmitted to the Union but he was not a "natural born citizen". That is a strict interpretation of the Constitution.