Former Members of libertariansforum.com: Remember when we used to debate about the freedom to engage in risky behavior?

Feb 2020
Houston
Remember that guy who talked incessantly about how he wasn't free because he can't own a lion because it endangers other? Or was it a chicken?

Remember us talking about chemical plant and whether the owners had the right to spew pollution or not?

How would those conversations go today with the coronavirus panic?

We'll never know . . .

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
I talked about how live my life by the 9/10 rule. Silver Rule/Golden rule.

Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. (positive rights)
Silver Rule: Do not unto others as you would NOt have them do unto you. (negative rights.)

Example:
I leave everyone to do whatever they want as long as they leave me alone too. However, if I take a walk in the park and see you drowning in the lake, I will jump in and save you but if you tell me that it is none of my business and that you want to die then if I ever happen to see you drowning again, I just keep on walking.

Who am I to disrespect or infringe your rights.

that is my 9/10 rule.

As I have said in other threads and posts, I know this Corona thing is fake but if it wasn't I seriously would like to contract it or any other kind of flu. I haven't been sick in years and am overdue. Do I have the right to believe that it is healthy for me to get very sick every few years? Do I have a right to get sick?

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
See how they turn it into a hate thread as soon as possible? This thread was made in good faith and is for discussing and debating ideas and their merits.

Reactions: SkyChief
Mar 2020
Woodlands, Texas
See how they turn it into a hate thread as soon as possible? This thread was made in good faith and is for discussing and debating ideas and their merits.
Yes and you've done a good job ignoring them.
Keep ignoring them and they can't turn your thread into anything.

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
Agreed and thank you, Princess, for reminding me. It is not my thread, it is Mr. Flops. He invited me.

Feb 2020
Kalifornia
Remember that guy who talked incessantly about how he wasn't free because he can't own a lion because it endangers other? Or was it a chicken?

Remember us talking about chemical plant and whether the owners had the right to spew pollution or not?

How would those conversations go today with the coronavirus panic?

We'll never know . . .
That guy was Opposition. He objected to libertarians because we demanded rights for ourselves (life, liberty & property), and at the same time denied him the right to keep lions and chickens. He said libertarians are hypocrites.

I pointed out that chickens could be (potentially) harmful to his neighbors because they carry many infectious diseases;

Avian Influenza
Avian Encephalomyelitis
Chicken Anaemia Virus Infection (or CAV)
Chicken Pox
Salmonella
Fowl Adenovirus type 8

Opposition actually won the argument, but in frustration, Jeff suggested to Oppo that he should commit suicide. :lol:

God, how I miss that forum . . .

LTP

Mar 2018
Undisclosed Bunker
That guy was Opposition. He objected to libertarians because we demanded rights for ourselves (life, liberty & property), and at the same time denied him the right to keep lions and chickens. He said libertarians are hypocrites.

I pointed out that chickens could be (potentially) harmful to his neighbors because they carry many infectious diseases;

Avian Influenza
Avian Encephalomyelitis
Chicken Anaemia Virus Infection (or CAV)
Chicken Pox
Salmonella
Fowl Adenovirus type 8

Opposition actually won the argument, but in frustration, Jeff suggested to Oppo that he should commit suicide. :lol:

God, how I miss that forum . . .
I thought the general rule of thumb is: Your Rights end where my nose begins. If you can live your life where it does me no harm, who am I to complain? A man owns a gun. No problem. If he's shooting toward your general direction; if he is firing from an unsafe distance to other people and private property, then there is a problem.

There is one area of the law I really don't like relative to chickens. I used to own a lot of chickens. I had all kinds. Then the neighbors built subdivisions close to my property and the county forced me to get rid of the chickens. Really? Everybody knew I had the chickens before they started building.

Feb 2020
Kalifornia
<snip>
There is one area of the law I really don't like relative to chickens. I used to own a lot of chickens. I had all kinds. Then the neighbors built subdivisions close to my property and the county forced me to get rid of the chickens. Really? Everybody knew I had the chickens before they started building.
This is essentially the argument we had on the libertarian forum (which closed).

The question was about local zoning laws. Should government have the power to ban chickens (or other farm animals) in an area zoned for Residences?

I argued yes, because of potential health hazard(s) and noise (clucking, crowing). Of course, this NOT the libertarian position. The libertarian position would be to keep government out of it.

In your case, it sounds like you were wronged. Did the county change zoning laws to accommodate the neighbor's subdivisions?

Sep 2019
Louisville, Ky
How is observation of reality considered Hate? You guys are so overly sensitive and suffering from persecution complex that no thinking person can take you seriously. Likely you also consider this as an attack.