Fox News ridiculed over 'War on Thanksgiving' segment

May 2018
none
Just when you think Fox can't sink any lower:

Fox News has accused progressives in America of trying to “cancel” Thanksgiving, apparently based on a single article which noted the climate impact of the upcoming holiday.

The right-wing network seized upon the story, ‘The environmental impact of your Thanksgiving dinner’, which was published last week.

Although the piece in the Huffington Post is actually an examination of the carbon footprint of various parts of the Thanksgiving traditional meal, plus the travel made by the 50 million Americans to visit family, a series of Fox News shows decried it as the start of a new “War on Thanksgiving”.

“Cancel culture has turned on the holiday,” one host, Todd Piro, raged as he introduced a segment on the article.

“Now when I heard this, all joking aside, I got viscerally angry because to me this is the latest attempt to tear down an American tradition.”

The overblown row was quickly picked up by other Fox News shows, with evening host Tucker Carlson also commenting on the story.

“The left isn’t just demanding you give up steak dinners and plastic straws, now over at the Huffington Post – which really is the most ludicrous site on the internet – they are demanding you cancel Thanksgiving dinner too," he said.

“Cranberry sauce and mashed potatoes are bad for the planet, said the unhappy rich kids who work at HuffPo.”

In reality, the author of the HuffPost article, Alexandra Emanuelli, clearly stated in the piece “No one should be discouraged from enjoying the holiday or celebrating with family and friends”, and instead wrote she wished to provide information on how to switch to ingredients which inflicted less damage on the environment.

Dozens of people online have ridiculed the network’s efforts to whip up misleading fury among Americans.

Parker Molloy, who works for the left-leaning media watchdog Media Matters, said: "All of this is just amazing. Someone wrote a blog post that was like "Hey, here are some tips if you're looking to reduce your carbon footprint this Thanksgiving," and Fox has been going on about it for three days now, misrepresenting it as an attack on Thanksgiving as a whole.

"The goal of segments like these, picking *these* stories and framing them in *this* way, is to plant seeds of resentment among its viewers, to make them feel like they're under attack."

Aaron Rupar, a journalist with the news website Vox, tweeted a video of one of the segments and described it as "completely beyond parody".

Shame on Fox News.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
But the faithful will swallow that whole, too. So sad.

Reactions: tecoyah
Sep 2019
Here
Fox news triggers the left with the dumbest things.
It's almost like they're playing the lefties.

No wait. It's exactly like they're playing the lefties.

Reactions: caconservative
Dec 2018
Wisconsin
24 hour news networks thrive on making people think the things they like are under attack. This is particularly relevant for conservatives since they are change-averse. So it's so easy for Fox News to deliver programming that depicts, "Hey that thing you loved back in the day, yea people are trying to take that away."

Jul 2019
Georgia

if that's the case, I think CNN trolls our president and his minions much much better

Last edited:
Reactions: leekohler2

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North

Do you really think they aren't, even in this ridiculous example taking themselves very seriously? I sure do.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Wow! I understand what HuffPuff was trying to do--bring awareness? Educate consumers? I didn't think the article was very well written or presented, but as usual Fox takes the Rib-eye steak and makes it into beef stew. Hopefully, no one will take this seriously....but usually all the RW needs is a tiny nudge in the right direction.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because it's JUST family and a beautiful dinner. I get out the good china, the sterling silver and my grandmother's crystal serving dishes--the set a beautiful table....with fresh flowers--the whole bit because that's what I love to do. Our kids will not be with us this year so maybe I'll forego all the fussiness but we will still enjoy the day and of course watch FOOTBALL!

May 2018
none
Wow! I understand what HuffPuff was trying to do--bring awareness? Educate consumers? I didn't think the article was very well written or presented, but as usual Fox takes the Rib-eye steak and makes it into beef stew. Hopefully, no one will take this seriously....but usually all the RW needs is a tiny nudge in the right direction.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because it's JUST family and a beautiful dinner. I get out the good china, the sterling silver and my grandmother's crystal serving dishes--the set a beautiful table....with fresh flowers--the whole bit because that's what I love to do. Our kids will not be with us this year so maybe I'll forego all the fussiness but we will still enjoy the day and of course watch FOOTBALL!
Same here. I think Fox went too far even for the righties this time though.