Fox News struggles to preserve the profits of hatred

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
Fox News struggles to preserve the profits of hatred
https://www.washingtonpost.com/vide...153915-a634-473d-9419-b9a57185369d_video.html

Jeanine Pirro’s chuckle was a sweet touch for an embattled president. It was Jan. 12, and President Trump had called in to Pirro’s Saturday night program on Fox News. Meanwhile, the New York Times had just reported that the FBI had opened a counterintelligence investigation against Trump following his firing of then-FBI Director James B. Comey in May 2017. So Pirro had to ask about that.

“The investigation was whether you were actively working for Russia or unwittingly, so I’m going to ask you: Are you now or have you ever worked for Russia, Mr. President?” asked Pirro, quite unseriously. “I think it’s the most insulting article I’ve ever had written and if you read the article, you’d see that they found absolutely nothing,” responded Trump, who received absolutely no pushback from Pirro.

Just how much does Trump appreciate Pirro’s assistance on Fox News? We found out over the weekend. Fox News kept Pirro off the air from her usual Saturday night program. Just one week earlier, Pirro teed off on criticism of Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) for allegedly making anti-Semitic remarks in discussing Israel and its supporters in the United States. Omar is a Muslim and wears a hijab. “Think about it," said Pirro. "Is her adherence to this Islamic doctrine indicative of her adherence to sharia law, which in itself is antithetical to the United States Constitution?”

Condemnation for these ugly remarks came from all over, including an unlikely precinct. Hufsa Kamal, a producer at Fox News itself, tweeted:
Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 4.20.41 PM.png
Fox News itself followed suit, releasing a statement saying that the comments “do not reflect those of the network and we have addressed the matter with her directly." As the Erik Wemple Blog pointed out last week, Fox News frequently boasts about “addressing" matters, though it’s rarely clear what the “addressing” entails and, in any case, the measures taken don’t appear terribly effective in eliminating offensive and mindless statements from the airwaves. As for Pirro, she refrained from apologizing and said she was trying to get a debate going. Really.

Then: Pirro didn’t appear on Saturday night to host her show. Why? The hyper-transparent folks at Fox News weren’t saying: “We are not commenting on internal scheduling matters,” said a statement. The cryptic explanation from the network managed to both maroon the many loyal viewers of “Justice With Judge Jeanine” as well as cloud the possibility that the network might be making a move out of principle. Think of that.

For President Trump, watching Fox News bump Pirro was like watching a hurricane sweep through a safe harbor:
Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 4.22.31 PM.png
Which is to say: Keep it up with the hateful language!

The tweets from the White House highlight the pickle in which Fox News finds itself these days. On the one hand, pleasing Trump has become something of a programming priority for the network. A cozy relationship with Trump — meaning interviews, private phone calls, approving tweets and the like — helps Fox News, especially opinion types such as Pirro, Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity and the co-hosts of “Fox & Friends,” extend its dominance in the ratings.

On the other hand, obeisance to the president and adherence to his values pose certain problems. In a common consequence for spewers of hate at Fox News, certain advertisers have announced that they won’t be doing business with Pirro’s show in the future, including Allergan, GreatCall, Letgo and NerdWallet. Carlson’s show has seen more than 30 such desertions over the past few months, thanks to his declaration in December that immigration makes the country “dirtier” and old radio comments resurfaced by Media Matters for America in which he used racist, misogynistic and homophobic language.

On Sunday, CNN’s Brian Stelter reported that Pirro had been suspended over her comments. So who announced the suspension? Was it Suzanne Scott, the chief executive? No: It was a “source familiar with the matter.” Such is the contemporary leadership at Fox News: It feels sufficiently compelled by circumstances to suspend a popular host, though not sufficiently compelled to attach a name and a face to the rebuke.

There’s a reason why a “source” at Fox News is whispering the news of Pirro’s suspension. It’s all about striking a perilous and shameful balance. Fox News wants to show advertisers that it’s serious about countering the hatred that so often surfaces on its programs. That’s good business. Fox News also wants to avoid angering the legions of Trump fans who tune in for the overreaching commentary. That’s good business, too. Or they’re a sign of weakness, as the No. 1 fan of Fox News believes. That’s why Carlson and Pirro have remained defiant and unrepentant.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...eserve-profits-hatred/?utm_term=.de01aea2bf11

For so long, I've never understood why people refuse to believe that the "news" that was reported on Fox was really just hate propaganda and basically KKK (okay, White Nationalist or Neo-Nazi - it's KKK in the USA!) rhetoric and hate talk.
I've finally understood. It's just their way of silenting approving and encouraging it. They agree with and approve of it.
I have lost so much respect - and even the ability to be civil - with the right wing conservatives in this country. I used to be able to respect people who I disagreed with ... but, now, when I see where their true loyalties lie, I loathe them all.

Attachments

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
How is this different than the hate spewed by the left that everyone wearing a MAGA hat is a Racist and Homophobe.

Tristian funny thing when many of us (this includes me sometimes) point fingers at others we have 4 pointing back at ourselves.

Judgements of people should not be based only on their head gear.

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
Anybody who wears a MAGA hat is supporting, endorsing and cheering on a white nationalist racist, misogynist, Islamaphobic, homophobic, Xenophobic, vicious, hateful, dishonest, lying, cheating vulgarian. They are so proud of this endorsement and support that they wear clothing to advertise it. Of course, they are racist and homophobic. They shouldn't mind being called that - they should be proud of what they publicly advertise and endorse. Now, if they're not racist and homophobic but still support having a racist homophobic leader for our nation and wear clothing to advertise it, they are too astoundingly stupid and ignorant for me to care about how they feel.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
Anybody who wears a MAGA hat is supporting, endorsing and cheering on a white nationalist racist, misogynist, Islamaphobic, homophobic, Xenophobic, vicious, hateful, dishonest, lying, cheating vulgarian. They are so proud of this endorsement and support that they wear clothing to advertise it. Of course, they are racist and homophobic. They shouldn't mind being called that - they should be proud of what they publicly advertise and endorse. Now, if they're not racist and homophobic but still support having a racist homophobic leader for our nation and wear clothing to advertise it, they are too astoundingly stupid and ignorant for me to care about how they feel.
See how easy it is for people to rationalize their hate.. Great job you are no different than the judge.

I am a nationalist I am mixed Race and I support Trump. hmmmmm

You support Nationalist that support those that call Jew Termites, and less than human.

So what is the difference in the Bigotry you just rationalized, than the Fox host.

I have said this everyone has prejudices some control them better than others

Remember Juan Williams that said "I become fearful when I see muslims board the plane I am on"

or

“There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps... then turn around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”
― Jesse Jackson

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
What the fuck are you ranting about? I don't support White Nationalists. Are you insane?

I don't give a flying fuck if you're mixed race. If you support a racist homophobic misogynist Islamphobic Xenophobic leader for our nation, you're a racist, homophobic, misogynist, Islamaphobic, Xenophobic mixed race idiot.
YoureCrazy.jpg

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
What the fuck are you ranting about? I don't support White Nationalists. Are you insane?

I don't give a flying fuck if you're mixed race. If you support a racist homophobic misogynist Islamphobic Xenophobic leader for our nation, you're a racist, homophobic, misogynist, Islamaphobic, Xenophobic mixed race idiot.
View attachment 3294
YAWN, Trump haters are the Same Bigots different targets. Trump haters are the KKK of the 21st Century...

I hate to say it Trisian you have lost it since Hillary lost the election.

IT IS NOT XENOPHOBIC TO OPPOSE ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.
IT IS NTO HOMPHOBIC TO NOT AGREE WITH THE HOMOSEXUAL LIFESTYLE
IT IS NOT A CRIME TO SUPPORT YOUR NATION.

Explain to me why you do not know the difference in Hate and opposition..
Explain to me why you do not know the difference LEGAL vs ILLEGAL Immigration.

Trump has been a massive supporter of immigration but a big opponent of ILLEGAL immigration.

Donald Trump Wants Higher Legal Immigration. Here’s Why He’s Wrong. | National Review

Is it too much to ask someone to ring the doorbell and be greeted before they enter your home?

Dec 2015
Arizona
YAWN, Trump haters are the Same Bigots different targets. Trump haters are the KKK of the 21st Century...

I hate to say it Trisian you have lost it since Hillary lost the election.

IT IS NOT XENOPHOBIC TO OPPOSE ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.
IT IS NTO HOMPHOBIC TO NOT AGREE WITH THE HOMOSEXUAL LIFESTYLE
IT IS NOT A CRIME TO SUPPORT YOUR NATION.

Explain to me why you do not know the difference in Hate and opposition..
Explain to me why you do not know the difference LEGAL vs ILLEGAL Immigration.

Trump has been a massive supporter of immigration but a big opponent of ILLEGAL immigration.

Donald Trump Wants Higher Legal Immigration. Here’s Why He’s Wrong. | National Review

Is it too much to ask someone to ring the doorbell and be greeted before they enter your home?

AND YOU, TN, can't seem to separate the truth from the lies. Almost everyone on DTT has tried MANY MANY times to explain to you WHAT liberals/Democrats support and what they do not support. Let's start with this:

WE support LEGAL immigration. We do NOT support illegal immigration.
What exactly do you not understand about those TWO very simple statements?

AND this. We support CHOICE--individual CHOICE--in all things pertaining to religion.
What do you not understand about that statement?

We support CHOICE--individual CHOICE--in all lifestyles. Is that clear enough?

The difference between opposition and hate is degrees.