Free Community College?

Nov 2012
Gamma Solaris
Obama Proposes Free Community College Program - NBC News

"But administration officials provided no details about the program's costs or where the money would come to pay for it."

Here we are, again. A truly important and necessary idea...that's all smoke. If only he was serious.....

A whole slew of these sorts of nebulous, all-encompassing "ideas" got him elected in the first place. :blink:

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
Obama Proposes Free Community College Program - NBC News

"But administration officials provided no details about the program's costs or where the money would come to pay for it."

Here we are, again. A truly important and necessary idea...that's all smoke. If only he was serious.....

A whole slew of these sorts of nebulous, all-encompassing "ideas" got him elected in the first place. :blink:
Wonder where Obama got that Idea..

OH WAIT THE GOP

Governor Haslim instituted this in TN... and without using PUBLIC DEBT.

... Hello. The GOP has been lightyears ahead of Obama.

Dec 2012
California
I could support this if...academic qualifications were set at a 3.0 standard to qualify for a free JC education. Otherwise, this looks like a giant can of worms to me. Another case of letting the camel get a foot in the door. What next, free college for everyone at taxpayer expense?
On second thought, I don't like this at all!

Nov 2012
Gamma Solaris
I could support this if...academic qualifications were set at a 3.0 standard to qualify for a free JC education. Otherwise, this looks like a giant can of worms to me. Another case of letting the camel get a foot in the door. What next, free college for everyone at taxpayer expense?
On second thought, I don't like this at all!
:grin:

Apr 2013
Left coast
A guy at our coffee klatch said that Obama suggested that it be paid for by lottery revenue. A good idea I think. Another guy thought that was wrong because he claims lotteries are a tax on the stupid.

I don't agree. No one makes you buy a lottery ticket but try not paying taxes. (Unless you are a politician or a senior member of the administration, of course.)

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
Can anyone else afford to pay for it?
If you keep the government in strong fiscal shape it is doable with a minimum tax burdern

TN is the 47th state in taxes. and TN Can do so without busting it's budget.

In fact TN is ALREADY doing this thanks to our Current Governor... Who like the Stupid Sarah Palin, gets the state into strong fiscal footing. Rainy day funds, Zero Highway debt.

Apr 2013
Left coast
I would strongly support this IF there were strong performance standards. No more participation certificates. And although perhaps hard to legislate, there needs to be some way of filtering out studies of traditional Polynesian basket weaving techniques as a field of study for this type of program.

But I feel that there are several benefits to having a more educated populous, and a payout in the higher taxes collected from the grads getting better paying jobs.