Free Community College?

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
Did anyone look at HOW Obama is proposing to pay for this "Free" Community College??? So it is NOT FREE

TAX 529 ACCOUNTS..

The administration proposes to finance the breaks at least in part by taking away education breaks for the well-off. Details are thin, but the administration says it would “limit upside-down education savings incentives” by rolling back Section 529 education tax breaks created by President George W. Bush and repeal incentives for the Coverdell education savings program.

Read more: 5 things about Barack Obama?s Robin Hood tax plan - Brian Faler - POLITICO

Last edited:
Oct 2014
New York
problem is only 10% of those that graduate with an economics degree got a job offer (I think the data was 2013.. have to go back and check.

it was the 10th worst degree for finding a job after graduation.
10% by when? Graduation? Do you mean 10% get a job or 10% get a job "in their major" or something like that? Do you have a source?

If you're looking at "in their major" type lists, of course the more abstract degrees won't as often lead to jobs that require that particular degree. That's pretty much what it means to be an abstract degree.

Anyways, when choosing a major, I think it is wise to think about where you'll be in 20 years more than where you'll be right after graduation. I'm not saying everybody needs a lofty, abstract, sort of degree. Some people are unlikely to do a kind of work that requires that level of thinking. But, many people do end up doing work that requires writing well, analyzing problems logically, etc. and for them, it is often a better choice to get a more abstract, theoretical degree than a practical, narrowly focused type of degree.

Last edited:
Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
10% by when? Graduation? Do you mean 10% get a job or 10% get a job "in their major" or something like that? Do you have a source?

If you're looking at "in their major" type lists, of course the more abstract degrees won't as often lead to jobs that require that particular degree. That's pretty much what it means to be an abstract degree.

Anyways, when choosing a major, I think it is wise to think about where you'll be in 20 years more than where you'll be right after graduation. I'm not saying everybody needs a lofty, abstract, sort of degree. Some people are unlikely to do a kind of work that requires that level of thinking. But, many people do end up doing work that requires writing well, analyzing problems logically, etc. and for them, it is often a better choice to get a more abstract, theoretical degree than a practical, narrowly focused type of degree.
From my earlier link:

Unexpectedly, economics makes its way on to our list as one of the degrees with the lower employment rates upon graduation. Fortunately, however, with work experience in the field, unemployment among holders of an economics degree decreases to 5.7%, and with further study it falls to just 4.6%. Moreover, recent economics college graduates that do find work make $48, 000 on average per annum
Most find employment on the level assistant sales associate at Home Depot. Manger Trainee at Chic Fil A nothing wrong with these jobs. but you don't have to spend 80K in education to get them.

Last edited:
Oct 2014
New York
From my earlier link:

Most find employment on the level assistant sales associate at Home Depot. Manger Trainee at Chic Fil A nothing wrong with these jobs. but you don't have to spend 80K in education to get them.
$48k/year shortly after graduation is not what manager trainees make at Chic Fil A. That is a very solid salary for a recent graduate. And, as I showed you, even just the median mid career income is $98k and the 90th percentile income for somebody with an economics degree is the highest of any degree- $200k.

It is way worth it to spend $80k to increase one's salary to $100k or $200k in the long term. That investment could be paid off in a single year even and you work for 35 or 40 years.

Again, I think you should focus on where you'll be in 20 years, not just where you'll be right after graduation.

Last edited:
Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
$48k/year shortly after graduation is not what manager trainees make at Chic Fil A. That is a very solid salary for a recent graduate. And, as I showed you, even just the median mid career income is $98k and the 90th percentile income for somebody with an economics degree is the highest of any degree- $200k.

It is way worth it to spend $80k to increase one's salary to $100k or $200k in the long term. That investment could be paid off in a single year even and you work for 35 or 40 years.

Again, I think you should focus on where you'll be in 20 years, not just where you'll be right after graduation.
No that is what Chic Fil A paid my Daughter when she was training, 50K + after the first 6 months, she is the manager.. She graduated in Music Performance. ( I tried to talk her into a business degree as a 2nd major).

She didn't, but now she is looking at becoming an owner, but they require a business degree for their owners.

Oct 2014
New York
No that is what Chic Fil A paid my Daughter when she was training, 50K + after the first 6 months, she is the manager.. She graduated in Music Performance. ( I tried to talk her into a business degree as a 2nd major).

She didn't, but now she is looking at becoming an owner, but they require a business degree for their owners.
Well, music performance is a very different thing that studying say philosophy or economics or something. Music performance doesn't develop your analytical abilities, your writing, your ability to research, etc. I'm not saying "just get whatever degree sounds fun," I'm saying that you should get a degree that will help you build skills you can use in a job. I'm just pointing out that that doesn't necessarily mean you need a narrowly focused degree. Lots of very abstract degrees work out very well for people because they involve skills that are useful. If you study political theory, for example, and then you work in a job managing relationships with vendors for a cable company or something, you draw on all kinds of things you learned studying political theory, like the ability to be persuasive, to do research, to write clearly, to understand different perspectives, etc. Those are things that are useful for like 70% of jobs. On the other hand, if you study welding, the skills are probably only useful for like 5% of jobs. You might be more likely to get a pretty decent job as a welder right after graduation, but 20 years out, you're more likely to still be stuck in that job that no longer is so decent when you're in your 40s trying to support a family and whatnot.

Nov 2012
Gamma Solaris
Well, music performance is a very different thing that studying say philosophy or economics or something. Music performance doesn't develop your analytical abilities, your writing, your ability to research, etc. I'm not saying "just get whatever degree sounds fun," I'm saying that you should get a degree that will help you build skills you can use in a job. I'm just pointing out that that doesn't necessarily mean you need a narrowly focused degree. Lots of very abstract degrees work out very well for people because they involve skills that are useful. If you study political theory, for example, and then you work in a job managing relationships with vendors for a cable company or something, you draw on all kinds of things you learned studying political theory, like the ability to be persuasive, to do research, to write clearly, to understand different perspectives, etc. Those are things that are useful for like 70% of jobs. On the other hand, if you study welding, the skills are probably only useful for like 5% of jobs. You might be more likely to get a pretty decent job as a welder right after graduation, but 20 years out, you're more likely to still be stuck in that job that no longer is so decent when you're in your 40s trying to support a family and whatnot.
(my BOLD)

What codswallop, nonsense and fecal matter.

Dec 2012
California
For those worried about the cost, his proposal would only be $6b/year. It would only need to generate a 0.04% boost to the economy to pay for itself.
Only? What government program has ever did what it was suppose to do without costing 10-times the amount they told us it would?
The choice of higher education is just that, "choice". It is no one's responsibility to pay for your "choice". The free-ride crap has got to stop.

Oct 2014
New York
Only? What government program has ever did what it was suppose to do without costing 10-times the amount they told us it would?
Like almost all of them. You just only hear about it when they don't.

The choice of higher education is just that, "choice". It is no one's responsibility to pay for your "choice". The free-ride crap has got to stop.
Not really sure what that has to do with the policy analysis. If it costs $6b and boosts the economy by more than $6b, it's obvious that we should do it, no? How would some slogan about "choices" and "responsibility" and whatnot change that? It's a math problem, not the plot of a reality tv show.

Dec 2012
California
Like almost all of them. You just only hear about it when they don't.

Not really sure what that has to do with the policy analysis. If it costs $6b and boosts the economy by more than $6b, it's obvious that we should do it, no? How would some slogan about "choices" and "responsibility" and whatnot change that? It's a math problem, not the plot of a reality tv show.
Are you not getting it? Your CHOICE is not my, or anyone else's responsibility. This will become just another rat-hole the taxpayers will be FORCED to pay for. And the cost will sore. And guess who gets to regulate it? And guess who will be deciding what classes you'll be taking. This government has already taken over health care, and it's not pretty, what happens when they completely take over education? The bottom line is, it's your choice, you pay for it. Don't tell me I have to!