Freedom of Speech Forum!

tadpole256

Former Staff
May 2005
Planet Earth (Mostly)
Hope everyone has noticed our new "Freedom of Speech" Forum... Hope you will all eagerly participate and enjoy the new topic of discussion. One of many new improvements in the works here at Defending the Truth...

Thanks for sticking with us!

Mar 2007
Alabama
tadpole256 said:
Hope everyone has noticed our new "Freedom of Speech" Forum... Hope you will all eagerly participate and enjoy the new topic of discussion. One of many new improvements in the works here at Defending the Truth...

Thanks for sticking with us!
Is that the forum where we can say anything that pops into our warped little heads?

Jul 2007
Suspended Sentence For Teen In Homophobic Flier Case

Apparently I didnt post this in the correct forum before- My bad.

(Woodstock, Illinois) The first of two teenage girls charged with distributing anti-gay fliers at a Crystal Lake high school has received a slap on the wrist.

The girl, who is now 17, cannot be named because of her age, was 16 when she was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, resisting a peace officer, and a hate crime.

Under a plea agreement the hate crime charge was dropped and she pleaded guilty to the other charges.

At her sentencing she was given 14 days in jail which was suspended. But Judge Michael Chmiel warned the girl that if she violates the terms of her probation she would be placed behind bars.

The fliers were found scattered around the parking lot of Crystal Lake South High School. The leaflets contained a picture of a male student and stated "God hates fags," authorities said.

Police said the fliers were intended as "get even" with the male student with whom the girl and a second female student who helped distribute the fliers, had quarreled.

Judge Chmiel also ordered the girl to write letters of apology to the teenage boy and to the arresting officer. She must also perform 40 hours of community service and submit to random drug testing.

At her sentencing hearing she said the incident was intended to be a joke.

"We took it too far," she told Chmiel.

About the teenage boy identified in the photo, she said, "I'm sorry for what I did to him emotionally."

The second girl is scheduled to be sentenced next month.

Earlier this week that girl also pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and resisting a peace officer in a plea deal that saw the hate crime charge dropped. (story)

©365Gay.com 2007

May 2007
USA
"A slap on the wrist."

Damn.. she's a KID. Kids do stupid, mean things. Yes, what she did is wrong. But considering she's little more than a child herself, the punishment was more than enough. Overboard, if she asked me.

DAMN, we've become a knee-jerky society.

When I was a high school kid, we'd crack jokes about blowing the school up so we didn't have to come back after Christmas vacation. The teacher would say, "you guys shut up and get back to work."

Nowadays, they'd send the kids to theraphy, have a focus group, and write five new laws.

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
mytmouse - I don't know how old you are - but when I was in school we used to joke like that, too - of course, bombings and school shootngs were unheard of then.

the world has changed.

May 2007
USA
Not really, tristan. If anything, the world is far LESS violent than it used to be.

It's just that such things get publicity now. We're so saturated with media now, if a mouse farts on a farm in rural China, the whole world knows about it five minutes later.

I still say they went way overboad with this girl. It should have been treated for what it was.. a jealous teenage girl doing a stupid, snotty mean thing.

Feb 2007
Los Angeles
mytmouse57 said:
Not really, tristan. If anything, the world is far LESS violent than it used to be.

It's just that such things get publicity now. We're so saturated with media now, if a mouse farts on a farm in rural China, the whole world knows about it five minutes later.

I still say they went way overboad with this girl. It should have been treated for what it was.. a jealous teenage girl doing a stupid, snotty mean thing.

I agree. If we start imprisoning teenagers for name calling then we'll have to build a lot more prisons.

BTW did you hear that another mouse has farted in rural China? Apparently it's spreading

Feb 2007
Michigan
mytmouse57 said:

I agree, kids do dumb things, it's a fact of life. Everyone was a kid once and we all did stupid stuff at one time or another.

This was just some prank to get back at a guy that she was fighting with. At the very most, this prank was a sign of very poor judgment and a total lack of foresight from the perpetrators.

Yea, they went way overboard with this one. 2 weeks in jail? (Reduced to probation) Hate crime charges? C'mon! The Phelps nuts get jack for their "God Hates Fags" signs and they actually do hate gays! They rejoice in their deaths and harass people at the funerals!

WTF?

Mar 2007
Alabama
mytmouse57 said:
"A slap on the wrist."

Damn.. she's a KID. Kids do stupid, mean things. Yes, what she did is wrong. But considering she's little more than a child herself, the punishment was more than enough. Overboard, if she asked me.

I have to agree that the punishment seems to be at least adequate.

Kids do stupid things and do not recognize the consequences. If this girl (and others involved) now realizes and regrets the destructiveness of her actions then justice has been served.