Fruit Giants

Jun 2015
Puerto Rico
Hello:

I've been reading Walter LaFeber's Inevitable Revolutions, which is basically a historical account of US policies in Central America. In his book, LaFeber speaks of UFCO (United Fruit Co.) and Standard Fruit. I personally find fascinating the story of how these businesses came to have a strong presence in Honduras, Guatemala, and Costa Rica.

But the point of this thread is the present-day situation regarding major fruit corporations. Del Monte, Dole, and Chiquita have long histories in their respective trades. What do you guys know regarding what these companies do these days?

Last edited:
Nov 2012
nirvana
Hello:

I've been reading Walter LaFeber's Inevitable Revolutions, which is basically a historical account of US policies in Central America. In his book, LaFeber speaks of UFCO (United Fruit Co.) and Standard Fruit. I personally find fascinating the story of how these businesses came to have a strong presence in Honduras, Guatemala, and Costa Rica.

But the point of this thread is the present-day situation regarding major fruit corporations. Del Monte, Dole, and Chiquita have long histories in their respective trades. What do you guys know regarding what these companies do these days?
Other than their dangerous deforestation of the areas you mentioned to grow their wares, not much.

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
Do you know how many democratically elected governments were overthrown by US Marines, and replaced by dictators?
Sure. I was a Marine, our history is pretty well taught to "boots" in boot camp.
One of the most famous anti-war books, War Is A Racket" was written by retired Marine LtGen. Smedley D. Butler. In it he concluded that for most of his 34 years on active duty he was merely a hired thug for U.S. corporations.

Jun 2015
Puerto Rico
Much is to be said of the CIA's overthrow of Arbenz in 1954.

Judging by what I've read on BBC's site, Guatemala is now a major quagmire. Had Eisenhower not approved that coup, history might have been different. Arevalo and Arbenz had greatly improved Guatemala from a socioeconomic perspective.