George and Ellen

Dec 2015
Arizona
If you watched the Packer-Cowboy game on Sunday you must have seen the camera shots of George W Bush and Ellen Degeneres.....sitting together.
From CNN:
On Sunday at the Dallas Cowboys-Green Bay Packers game, the TV cameras panned up to the owner's box, where it caught a glimpse of comedian Ellen DeGeneres sitting next to former President George W. Bush.
Which, on its face, seemed like an, uh, unlikely pair. DeGeneres is a prominent liberal, and gay. Bush is a former two-term Republican president and an unapologetic conservative. And the image of DeGeneres and Bush set social media aflame as liberals blasted her for cozying up to Bush, someone who opposed gay marriage as president and who entered the US into a war with Iraq and Afghanistan under the later-disproven belief that they possessed weapons of mass destruction.

AND Twitter erupted. Some of Ellen's fans were NOT happy. But here's what Ellen had to say:
"I'm friends with George Bush. In fact, I'm friends with a lot of people who don't share the same beliefs that I have. We're all different, and I think we've forgotten that that's OK that we're all different. ... Just because I don't agree with someone on everything doesn't mean that I am not going to be friends with them. When I say be kind to one another, I don't mean only the people that think the same way you do. I mean be kind to everyone."
What did George's spokesman have to say:
"President and Mrs. Bush really enjoyed being with Ellen and Portia (de Rossi) and appreciated Ellen’s comments about respecting one another. They respect her. "

It should come as no surprise that there are many unlikely friendships and those friendships should be a meaningful example to all of us.

OY7j5rt - Imgur.jpg

Reactions: tecoyah
Jul 2019
Georgia
I voted for him twice (sorry)

~~~

my son likes the videos of Ellen with kids, and he told me the other day he didn't know her last name is DeGeneres

he thought people were calling her "Ellen, the Generous" because she's generous.

Dec 2015
Arizona
I did not vote for Dubya but my Texas family loved him, but having said that there WERE things I liked about him. I just didn't think he was terribly smart.
I thought Laura Bush was a gem and I enjoyed keeping up with the twins antics---ups and downs. All in all, I thought they were a nice family and that includes George H and Barbara Bush.

Reactions: se7en

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
I loved Ellen's response to the twitter criticism. You can disagree but still be friends is basically it. Something that more and more people seem to be forgetting.

Reactions: Clara007 and se7en
Dec 2015
Arizona
I loved Ellen's response to the twitter criticism. You can disagree but still be friends is basically it. Something that more and more people seem to be forgetting.
Look at the relationship between the Bush family and the Obama family. It's pretty cute when Dubya and Michelle get together.
5mveElw - Imgur.jpg
dpN2xMB - Imgur.jpg
first-lady-michelle-obama-hugs-former-president-george-w-news-photo-823529934-1539266296.jpg

Reactions: se7en