George H.W. Bush Dead

Nov 2012
Rhondda
l was unaware that Hussain was a British puppet. :rolleyes: I know it wasn't the Lord, because I'm an atheist.
I'm a realist, I'm aware that nearly all wars are fought for selfish reasons, but this war was fought for sensible reasons, not made up one's.
You British? Jesus wept! He was of course an American puppet. Kuwait, like Iraq and all the rest of the pretend-countries exist because of compromises between French and British imperialisms, as know, just convenient lines drawn on maps, and all American wars, as you know, are fought for oil or money, nothing else.

Nov 2018
Inner Space
I find it ironic that Republicans now mourn the passing of Bush 41 because his form of politics, moderate Republicanism, passed long ago, probably during the Cheney presidency..

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
In the words of Mrs TNVol.. when Barbara Died "It will not be long before he follows" (She said that when she saw the picture of his face when he was following her casket.

he Barbara and their daughter united again..

Dec 2015
Arizona
I'm watching the state funeral of George H.W. It's so powerful to see both parties showing such respect and honor for Bush--to hear George H.W. described as such a bi-partisan politician and his relationship with people like Lyndon Johnson. Lynda Johnson Robb was in tears as she walked by the casket.
I'm struck by how this seems like a throw-back to another time. This feels to me that it represents another Washington--from years ago. Bush was president in a different time. Also, it was pointed out how George and Barbara instilled in their family the importance of SERVICE to their country and to others.
George and Barbara really developed personal relationships with the WH staff and the national security staff--not that they always got along, but Bush Sr. would allow them to express their differences. They seemed to trust each other and let the president make the call. There was no leaking. There was a reverence about their jobs.
AND let's not forget this was not an easy time: After Bush was inaugurated there was the Exxon Valdez oil spill, the Tiananmen Square massacre, the Berlin Wall came down, Bush met Gorbachev--the Cold war ended. Then, of course, Iraq invaded Kuwait and Germany reunited. The clean air act was signed. The Persian Gulf war began and so much more.

Remember Dan Quayle?? Potato? Murphy Brown? This has been a day to smile and remember. I was young once. :cool:

Nov 2017
I didn't go to DC today; it's a 1/2 hour drive north from where I live (or similar for a Metrorail trip), but for those who might be curious it was a nice day today around here for the procession. It wasn't very cold and it wasn't raining.

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
Personally, I am a bit disappointed that the Bush family will allow Trump to attend the funeral. He will most defiantly use it as propaganda for his deplorables.

Nov 2017
I'm watching the state funeral of George H.W. It's so powerful to see both parties showing such respect and honor for Bush--to hear George H.W. described as such a bi-partisan politician and his relationship with people like Lyndon Johnson. Lynda Johnson Robb was in tears as she walked by the casket.
I'm struck by how this seems like a throw-back to another time. This feels to me that it represents another Washington--from years ago. Bush was president in a different time. Also, it was pointed out how George and Barbara instilled in their family the importance of SERVICE to their country and to others.
George and Barbara really developed personal relationships with the WH staff and the national security staff--not that they always got along, but Bush Sr. would allow them to express their differences. They seemed to trust each other and let the president make the call. There was no leaking. There was a reverence about their jobs.
AND let's not forget this was not an easy time: After Bush was inaugurated there was the Exxon Valdez oil spill, the Tiananmen Square massacre, the Berlin Wall came down, Bush met Gorbachev--the Cold war ended. Then, of course, Iraq invaded Kuwait and Germany reunited. The clean air act was signed. The Persian Gulf war began and so much more.

Remember Dan Quayle?? Potato? Murphy Brown? This has been a day to smile and remember. I was young once. :cool:
Speaking of Quayle, they just interviewed him on TV. He's all grown up now.