George Washingtons Advisors Agreed: Impeachment Did Away With Executive Privilege

Nov 2012
nirvana
Earlier this week, we published an op-ed, highlighting this and other evidence from the Founding era and discussed its significance for current events. While writing, we were impressed by just how unanimous Washington’s advisors were on an impeachment carve-out to executive privilege. Here are some key quotes (with emphasis added), from Washington’s Cabinet (whose advice he had requested) and several others:

Reactions: intangible child
Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
There is no impeachment in progress. House has not voted... only the ful house vote can initiate the impeachment process.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
Care to link to where in the Constitution that is required.
A majority vote of the House of Representatives is required to bring impeachment charges (Article I, Section 2, Clause 5), which are then tried before the Senate (Article I, Section 3, Clause 6). Two-thirds of the Senate must vote to convict before an official can be removed.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
A majority vote of the House of Representatives is required to bring impeachment charges (Article I, Section 2, Clause 5), which are then tried before the Senate (Article I, Section 3, Clause 6). Two-thirds of the Senate must vote to convict before an official can be removed.
Correct (for a change) but this is the investigation stage. Apples and elephants.