Georgia city: No Confederate battle flag in veterans parade

Nov 2005
California
Georgia city: No Confederate battle flag in veterans parade
A Georgia city has decided to ban the Confederate battle flag from its annual Old Soldiers Day Parade, which began decades ago as a tribute to Civil War veterans.

Alpharetta Assistant City Manager James Drinkard says the "divisive nature" of the flag was among reasons it was considered inappropriate for a city-sponsored event.

The parade was held Aug. 4 in Alpharetta, a suburb of Atlanta about 25 miles (40 kilometers) north of downtown.

William Lathem, a leader in the Sons of Confederate Veterans, says his group will try and bring the flag back in next year's parade.
http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Geo...battle-flag-in-veterans-parade-490636381.html

This is long overdue. There are no veterans of the Civil War alive.

It's disgusting to see people who complain about football players kneeling during the national anthem turn around and fly a flag of treason and ignore that the confederate flag is the true insult.

Sep 2015
Lehigh Valley Pa.,USA
The Confederacy is a part of our history....The Civil War is part of our history....Who are you and your ilk, who want to erase history??

Nov 2005
California
The Confederacy is a part of our history....The Civil War is part of our history....Who are you and your ilk, who want to erase history??
So is slavery. So is genocide. So are internment camps.
We should have the decency to be embarrassed and understand that these historical aspects should not be celebrated.

360,222 Union soldiers died from traitors who wanted to prolong slavery. Traitors who waged war against the Union under that flag.
I don't want to erase that fact, but rather object to people who think that flag should be something to be celebrated.

Sep 2015
Lehigh Valley Pa.,USA

Is that still going on??....No...So why keep acting like it is.??... That is dividing this country..

We should have the decency to be embarrassed and understand that these historical aspects should not be celebrated..
Who is celebrating??....I certainly do not support the cause of slavery, but the question of whether the union could be disolved was a legitimate question to be asked if one part of the country thought it was being oppressed by another..

360,222 Union soldiers died from traitors who wanted to prolong slavery. Traitors who waged war against the Union under that flag.
I don't want to erase that fact, but rather object to people who think that flag should be something to be celebrated.
The "traitors" were the politicians (Jefferson Davis et al) who voted for secession, not the soldiers who obeyed the orders of their government...

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
It was a symbol of traitors. Why would a patriot want to fly that treasonous rag?

My hat is off to Alpharetta.

Sep 2015
Lehigh Valley Pa.,USA
It was a symbol of traitors. Why would a patriot want to fly that treasonous rag?

My hat is off to Alpharetta.
I believe the meaning of the flag has changed over the years.... In the 1860s it represented a faction who was dissatisfied with the subjugation of the Northern States..(the Civil War was called "the War of Northern Aggression" in the south)....right or wrong it took a war to settle the question....

Today....It is slowly becoming a symbol of dissatisfaction with a dishonest Federal Government and the multitude of factions that have erupted with their own special grievances much of which is contrary to the founding principals of this country..

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
I believe the meaning of the flag has changed over the years....
I think you make a fair point.

Today....It is slowly becoming a symbol of dissatisfaction with a dishonest Federal Government and the multitude of factions that have erupted with their own special grievances much of which is contrary to the founding principals of this country..
To others it represents what it always has, oppression in the most extreme form, slavery.

People want to protest, go ahead. Not using that flag on Old Soldiers Day Parade in Alpharetta

Nov 2005
California
We should have the decency to be embarrassed and understand that these historical aspects should not be celebrated.
Is that still going on??....No...So why keep acting like it is.??... That is dividing this country..
Do you realize how much you just jumped from one justification to another, based solely on the desired end you wanted to achieve?

The confederacy is likewise not still going on. So people trying to fly the confederate flag should stop acting like it is.
After all, they are dividing this country, right?

Who is celebrating??....I certainly do not support the cause of slavery, but the question of whether the union could be disolved was a legitimate question to be asked if one part of the country thought it was being oppressed by another..
You didn't realize I was applying your own standard to other issues.
And to pretend the confederate flag is just about whether a union could be dissolved is ignoring the underlying reason why they wanted to dissolve the union. To help preserve slavery.

Personally, I find an interest in dissolving our union to be traitorous whether it be by conservative or liberal.

The "traitors" were the politicians (Jefferson Davis et al) who voted for secession, not the soldiers who obeyed the orders of their government...
"just following orders" is an excuse to ignore responsibility for too many tragedies in our global history.
And I find it astounding how you just a second ago claimed "the question of whether the union could be disolved was a legitimate question to be asked if one part of the country thought it was being oppressed by another".
But now you claim the perpetrators were treasonous?

Is dissolution of the union treasonous to you? Yes or no.
If yes, then how can you claim it's a "legitimate question"?
If no, then how can you claim that the historical perpetrators were traitors?

Nov 2005
California
I believe the meaning of the flag has changed over the years.... In the 1860s it represented a faction who was dissatisfied with the subjugation of the Northern States..(the Civil War was called "the War of Northern Aggression" in the south)....right or wrong it took a war to settle the question....
"subjugation"???

There was a governmental decision as to whether or not to continue slavery.
The slavers lost.
That was not "subjugation" to the people who were enslaving people.
Were they "subjugated" in not being allowed to continue to commit crimes against humanity? (i.e. slavery)