Georgia still hasn’t managed to rename Runaway Negro Creek

Apr 2013
Left coast
So next year whites get minority status?

What ever will happen to leftist identity politics.
Nope. The whites will still be the plurality race.

Well, given that the GOPers will have all expired of hyper-apoplexy, there won't be an issue.

Sep 2017
Pennsylfaani
America has always been a mixed-race country. You could be a mixed-race person yourself. Do a DNA test.
I have no interest in giving my DNA to any company whatsoever. My family immigrated to the United States within the last 100 years, and both have pretty solid records leading back to County Kerry in Ireland and Northumbria in England to the 1600s.
That ship has sailed.

By 2020 there will be more under 18yo non-whites in the US than whites.

In 2045 that will be true of the overall population.

The US will become ‘minority white’ in 2045, Census projects
You cheer on your own demise. You’ll realize how foolish you are when you drown in your own blood.

Jul 2018
Earth
I have no interest in giving my DNA to any company whatsoever. My family immigrated to the United States within the last 100 years, and both have pretty solid records leading back to County Kerry in Ireland and Northumbria in England to the 1600s.

You cheer on your own demise. You’ll realize how foolish you are when you drown in your own blood.
You know what the English call the Irish, don't you?

Feb 2007
New York
For cryin' out loud! Buildings, streets, and the like are renamed all the time. It doesn't change history. It doesn't change facts or dates or people. Our vocabulary changes constantly. Words that were once common practice are no longer common.
Racial slurs are no longer acceptable. Take a step forward, people.
As a Black person, I don't find the word Negro insulting, just archaic. There was an incident in my 20's where I was visiting someone and his grandmother said "Who is that pretty negro girl?" He got all shocked and said "Grandma you can't call her negro!" His Grandmother looked entirely confused. I chuckled and told him that it was okay; it was just the word she was accustomed to using because of her generation." She eventually adjusted to Black, but it wasn't an insult when she used negro; it was simply a historically correct descriptor.

the N-word is insulting because of it's history. The word Negro has a different history. It is not a slur. In this case, Runaway Negro Creek is historically correct and should be used, as the OP mentioned, as an educational marker; it should also be honored as a representation of determination in the most adverse conditions possible.