GOP Lawmaker Feels He's Being Repressed Because Rainbow Flag Was Ordered Flown Over Wisconsin Captiol

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
I get so weary of the poor trodden upon pseudo-Christian bigots who feel they are having their rights stepped upon because they can't discriminate and marginalize others.

LGBTQ_win_BBAACB9.jpg

I’ll never understand people who can look at a symbol of love and inclusion and see only hate and divisiveness.

But that’s today's Republican Party for you.

Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers has ordered a rainbow flag flown over the state Capitol to mark Pride Month, but at least one GOPster thinks it’s a deliberate slap in his tender, snowflakey face.

State Rep. Scott E. Allen, who describes himself on his Twitter as a “Child of God” and a “Family Man,” tweeted this in response to Evers’ proclamation:
Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 7.50.14 PM.png
Uh, is being gay a religion now? Because if it is, I know several people who could use the tax exemption.

The state flag has a picture of a badger, a sailor, and a miner on it. They walk into a bar (because there are a lot of those in Wisconsin) and take up the holy chalice of brandy Old-Fashioneds. So I guess that’s a religious symbol too now.

And does he really think Christianity is underrepresented in our government and society? Really?

Allen later explained his position to the AP via Twitter: “It advocates a behavior or lifestyle that some Wisconsin residents may not condone. Therefore it is divisive.”

Dude, I was born in Wisconsin, lived there for decades, and I’m a vegan. “America’s Dairyland” was printed on my license plate, FFS. I had no choice — because I needed to drive to downtown Madison to find a restaurant that didn’t automatically put Sargento cheddar shreds and bacon on my garden salad without asking.

Suck it up, snowflake. Other people live in Wisconsin besides you. I think your delicate constitution can handle this for at least a few more weeks.

Reactions: catus felis
May 2018
none
My family are Christians and went to see me play hockey in Cleveland in the 2014 Gay Games. They had a great time and there were rainbow flags everywhere. The Terminal Tower was lit with rainbow lights the whole time. They live in Ohio and said it was one of the times they were most proud of their state.

So this guy does not speak for any religion. He speaks for people who use religion to mask their bigotry. He does NOT speak for even the majority of Christians.

That said, I go to Madison for tournaments annually. I love it. What a great town.

Furthermore, no being gay is not a religion of course. We are just people who were given what we were given in life, not our decision to make. As hard as that can be to handle sometimes, we make the best of it.

Reactions: Clara007
Dec 2015
Arizona
My family are Christians and went to see me play hockey in Cleveland in the 2014 Gay Games. They had a great time and there were rainbow flags everywhere. The Terminal Tower was lit with rainbow lights the whole time. They live in Ohio and said it was one of the times they were most proud of their state.

So this guy does not speak for any religion. He speaks for people who use religion to mask their bigotry. He does NOT speak for even the majority of Christians.

That said, I go to Madison for tournaments annually. I love it. What a great town.

Furthermore, no being gay is not a religion of course. We are just people who were given what we were given in life, not our decision to make. As hard as that can be to handle sometimes, we make the best of it.
Most Wisconsinites had never even HEARD of Scott Allen until he started spouting off about abortion and gay rights. He's made a fool out of himself in a state that prides itself on human/civil rights and dignity. I bet you can't guess what political party he represents! His arguments are hilarious. Get this. His logic on abortion? That access to abortion rights should be restricted in order to boost the state’s workforce. Did you need to reread that? YUP--me too. The man has a loose screw.
So how does someone like that make it to the Wisconsin state capital? Easy:
He had no general election opponent. In 2016, he had no primary or general election opponent.

His argument against the gay flag is just as nutty. “Is this any more appropriate than erecting the Christian flag over the Capitol?” Errrr....most of us had no idea that the gay community had evolved into a religious sect. Why didn't you tell us, Lee...?
Allen is a PERFECT Republican. Antiquated. Biased. Narrow-minded. Wrong-headed.

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
In an interview with the AP, Allen said, "the flag advocates a behavior or lifestyle that some Wisconsin residents may not condone. Therefore, it is divisive."

I wonder how he feels about states that fly the confederate flag...
Or having 10 Commandment monuments in front of court houses.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Here's a 2015 message from representative Scott Allen. Given he thinks some Wisconsin resident may not condone the lifestyle represented by the pride flag, I'm sure he thinks no one will find this divisive.

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
I can't believe that there wasn't a big furor about that. He is actually pontificating from his representative soapbox. UNETHICAL and probably unconstitutional.

Reactions: Clara007
Dec 2015
Arizona
I can't believe that there wasn't a big furor about that. He is actually pontificating from his representative soapbox. UNETHICAL and probably unconstitutional.
Tris, you know as well as I do that all the brouhaha and angst over the "CONSTITUTION CONSTITUTION" is bullshit. The GOP USES the constitution WHEN it's convenient.
We also know that our sitting president has never even READ the constitution and wouldn't understand half of it even if he did. Who needs to read when you've got advisors who will 'splain' it to you???
They might as well not even HAVE a GOP platform because it's completely bogus.

Reactions: tristanrobin