GOP Rep. Amash becomes first Republican to call for Trump's impeachment

May 2018
Chicago
Wow, so miracles do happen:

"Washington (CNN)Michigan GOP Rep. Justin Amash said Saturday he had concluded President Donald Trump committed "impeachable conduct" and accused Attorney General William Barr of intentionally misleading the public.

Amash's comments recommending Congress pursue obstruction of justice charges against Trump were the first instance of a sitting Republican in Congress calling for Trump's impeachment.

Amash is a rare GOP critic of Trump and previously said Trump's conduct in pressuring then-FBI Director James Comey could merit impeachment. In a Twitter thread on Saturday, Amash said he believed "few members of Congress even read" special counsel Robert Mueller's report and that the report itself established "multiple examples" of Trump committing obstruction of justice.

"Contrary to Barr's portrayal, Mueller's report reveals that President Trump engaged in specific actions and a pattern of behavior that meet the threshold for impeachment," Amash said in a string of messages on Twitter."

Justin Amash becomes first Republican congressman to call for Trump's impeachment - CNNPolitics

Seems people are waking up

Last edited:
Dec 2015
Arizona
Amash concluded his Twitter thread by lamenting both parties' apparent hypocrisy and inaction in responding to the Mueller investigation.

"Few members of Congress even read Mueller’s report; their minds were made up based on partisan affiliation — and it showed, with representatives and senators from both parties issuing definitive statements on the 448-page report’s conclusions within just hours of its release," he said.

This would not surprise me in the least. If the GOP Trump supporters are ANYTHING like their leader, they do NOT read. More than likely, their aides read the report FOR THEM and used a bright yellow highlighter to make things simpler for their bosses.

Nov 2017
I like Amash; he's probably the closest person to being the new Ron Paul, and I hope he becomes the next POTUS.

If he's calling for Trump's impeachment, I'm far more inclined to hear him out than I am even just about every other Republican, but I'm still not at a point where I think an impeachment process ought to commence, given that Trump didn't start this mess to begin with.

Technically speaking, if you go 1 MPH over a speed limit in a 65 MPH zone even for a moment, you could be arrested and taken to jail. In practice, going 1 MPH over the speed limit in a 65 MPH zone makes no significant difference in the amount of danger it poses on the roadways, but saying that what Trump allegedly did crosses the threshold of impeachment is like saying a person who went 1 MPH over the speed limit in a 65 MPH zone ought to be arrested and taken to jail.

Who (drivers) hasn't gone 1 MPH over the speed limit at some point in their life? How often do we go 1 MPH over the speed limit? Imagine all the people who would have to be thrown in jail for that.

How many past presidents have never crossed the impeachment threshold?

Mar 2019
Texas
if you go 1 MPH over a speed limit in a 65 MPH zone even for a moment
Actually going 1mph over the speed limit is a death sentence if you do not do everything that is asked of you after that the police have the right to kill you.

Amash was reported to possibly making a libertarian run for potus. If he comes out full bore and does not stop then he has a chance.

May 2018
USA
Actually going 1mph over the speed limit is a death sentence if you do not do everything that is asked of you after that the police have the right to kill you.

Amash was reported to possibly making a libertarian run for potus. If he comes out full bore and does not stop then he has a chance.
Come on. Amash has no chance whatsoever to win the POTUS as a Libertarian. Most the true Libertarians left the party years ago when they put Bob Barr on the ticket. The Libertarian Party is nothing more than pot-smoking Republicans at this point.

Mar 2019
Texas
Come on. Amash has no chance whatsoever to win the POTUS as a Libertarian. Most the true Libertarians left the party years ago when they put Bob Barr on the ticket. The Libertarian Party is nothing more than pot-smoking Republicans at this point.
I agree that it would take a re-branding of the party but it would be possible if his message is true and he does not back down from what he just done and follows through.

Currently the landscape is wide open for common sense.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Multiple reporters are commenting on the fact that Amash, in his Trump-bashing tweet said if you read the Mueller report it's obvious that Trump obstructed justice. And he went on to say he suspects most Rep Congressmen haven't read it.

Trump in his Amash-bashing tweet said that Amash was making statements about a report that he (Amash) hadn't read.

I would suspect I know one person of the above who has never read it.