Gov. Cuomo’s New No-Bail Law Freed 61 Gang Members on Long Island

Mar 2018
Rosebud
The mess the left creates.

Neighboring New Jersey also eliminated cash bail, but they empowered judges to have discretion over whether someone posed a threat before releasing them. New York's law has no such safeguard, and the reforms were enacted as part of the state budget last March, negotiated in secret and out of public view.

Jul 2019
Georgia
okay found what appears to be a credible piece

newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/12/31/all-crimes-new-york-bail-reform/

yeah I'm not sure about some of these

I don't think victimless crimes (drug possession, etc) should require bail or jail time

but some (a great deal) are crimes that involve a victim, and I don't really think those people should be let loose on the streets with no punishment.

I don't know much about the bail system, but before, did it go if you couldn't make bail, you had to sit in jail til you could? because I can see some issues with that too

(I'm very grateful this is an area I'm clueless on)

Jul 2019
Georgia
I did notice that a lot of hate crimes fall under the new law as well, which is terrible

I ain't for this

Last edited:

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
I can’t quote you stats but I have seen it, people who benefit from being in jail. It’s not uncommon.

But the issue here is “bail reform “ which is liberal bleeding heartism run amok. Where it’s been tried yes indeed felons have been set free by posting 10 percent of the bail .... and then disappearing, with no bondsman to track them down.

The public is put at risk by this policy.
So this applies to people with a history of violence? If so, it's wrong. The odds of being released on your own recognisance is very high in Canada as long as there is no violence in your currrent situation or your past. But if there is, remand is most likely. Bail is applied here very seldom.

Reactions: Clicker II
Mar 2018
Rosebud
No wonder they did this in secret. And the idiot Andrew Cuomo says 'no problems'.

Police: Man strangled woman with karate belt, slit her throat. Released with no bond under New York “bail reform”
If you’ll recall, New York’s bail reform legislation (sneakily inserted by Governor Andrew Cuomo into a budget bill) is allegedly intended to achieve economic equality in the justice system. To do this, there is now no bail required for persons arrested of most misdemeanor crimes, as well as “nonviolent felony crimes.”
Barbaritano was released without bail on Thursday on his own recognizance. This means that he signed a piece of paper promising to appear at the set court date.
On Thursday night, we reported on a New York man who shot a cop, then was busted for selling drugs and just released on no bond as well.
In 2009, Tyquan Rivera, who was 15 at the time, shot and wounded a Rochester (NY) police officer, Anthony DiPonzo. He was convicted of attempted murder and got a whopping 10 years in prison. In February of last year, Rivera was released from prison.
Since he was all rehabilitated and everything, he decided to go into business for himself. Unfortunately for Rivera, the business he went into was selling Fentanyl. You know, the drug that is responsible for a near epidemic of dead people.
He was arrested last month and charged with selling fentanyl to two undercover officers in Rochester. He was charged with third-degree criminal sale of a controlled substance.
Rivera was one of five men arrested in what law enforcement officials called a “lengthy narcotics investigation” that started last August and involved officers from a number of police agencies. Rivera was the only one charged with sale; the other four were charged with criminal possession.
On Thursday, Rivera was released without bail. ... is caught dealing the deadly drug Fentanyl, was released.

May 2018
none
The law is frightening in its scope.

The list of crimes where suspects will be freed from prison before trial includes:

• Second-degree manslaughter
    • Aggravated vehicular assault
    • Third-degree assault
    • Promoting an obscene sexual performance by a child
    • Possessing an obscene sexual performance by a child
    • Promoting a sexual performance by a child
    • Failure to register as a sex offender
    • Making terroristic threats
    • Criminally negligent homicide
    • Aggravated vehicular homicide

In one recent case, a suspect in Warren County, New York, was charged with second-degree manslaughter after he allegedly killed a bystander while leading police on a high-speed chase. Though the suspect is currently behind bars awaiting trial, he will be released in January when the new bail laws go into effect.

Did you criticize this governor as well? Conservatism is a mental illness. It kills too.

Reactions: se7en

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
So this applies to people with a history of violence? If so, it's wrong. The odds of being released on your own recognisance is very high in Canada as long as there is no violence in your currrent situation or your past. But if there is, remand is most likely. Bail is applied here very seldom.
It’s very high everywhere. That’s why eliminating bail almost completely is a bad idea.