Government shut down ??

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
A week ago at the meeting between Pelosi, Schumer and Trump, Trump went all ballistic and said he'd be PROUD to shut the government down over funding for his wall.

Read an interesting little article on Thursday or Friday discussing whether or not an actual shut down would occur. It seems even a limited shut down would mean the SECRETE SERVICE would be one of the agencies NOT getting paid !! Insiders at the WH were debating the optics of Trumplethinskin hitting golf course while the people guarding him were NOT GETTING PAID at Christmas time !!!

Low an behold article today saying Trump is hinting he may try to find another way to pay for his wall. SOMEBODY in the WH had their thinking caps on !!!! LOLOLOLOL

Sen. Mitch McConnell says he’s confident government shutdown can be avoided as Democrats turn down latest offer

Nov 2005
California
TRUMP’S BORDER-WALL STANDOFF BLOWS UP IN HIS FACE

Cappo choked completely and there will be no government shutdown. Now he is whining to each and every department under him to take monies granted to useful things to be cut and given to his egomania.

Trump’s Border-Wall Standoff Blows Up In His Face
From your article:
While Trump previously said that he would be “proud” to shut down the government if he did not receive his border-wall funding—and in fact threatened to close the entire border—political reality caught up to the president.
(Trump) “I’ll tell you what: I am proud to shut down the government for border security, Chuck,” he told Schumer at one point. “I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down—I’m not going to blame you for it.”
Also from your article:
Inside the White House, there was little appetite for a shutdown that nobody except the president appeared to want. “He’s not going to get $5 billion for the wall,” a West Wing source told the Post. “They can say on TV all they want that it’s going to happen, but it’s not going to happen.” And while Trump’s posturing seemed rooted in the conviction that voters would see his wall as tantamount, polling suggested otherwise: a USA Today survey found that 43 percent of Americans would blame Trump and the G.O.P. should the government shut down, compared to 24 percent who would blame the Democrats.
This is how badly disconnected with reality Trump acolytes are.
Trump states he would be the one to shut down the government and not blame Dems ...
... but then 24% (i.e. Trump followers) would blame Dems anyways.

It defies logic and reason!

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
1 it is a PARTIAL shutdown.

The Partial shutdown is the shut down of NON ESSENTAL programs.

So I don't give a rats ass if the shut down is permanent and ALL NON ESSENTAL programs end FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER. AMEN.

Nov 2005
California
1 it is a PARTIAL shutdown.
The Partial shutdown is the shut down of NON ESSENTAL programs.
So I don't give a rats ass if the shut down is permanent and ALL NON ESSENTAL programs end FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER. AMEN.
Do you even know what would be shut down in the scenario you are thinking is a good thing?
:rolleyes:

Repubs <swear word removed> up the government ...
... and then think that proves the government is <swear word removed> up and should be shut down.
:zany:

Dec 2015
Arizona
Did you watch little Sarah Sanders yesterday? MY GOD--what a mess she is. So a reporter asks,
"The deficit is over $1 trillion, so why is the American taxpayer paying for the wall when Trump as a candidate promised that Mexico would pay for it?"
Sanders: We’re not asking American taxpayers for that. We are looking at existing funding through other agencies right now that we can draw on to do that in — immediately." Ummm....other agencies? Like tax-payer FUNDED other agencies? Like U.S. agencies---all funded by tax dollars? Those agencies, Sarah??

Okay, let’s break this down. First, any existing funding that other agencies have in their coffers is taxpayer money. So, as many, many people pointed out on Twitter, trying to claim the money isn’t coming from the American public is either misinformed or misleading or.....ANOTHER BIG FAT GODAWFUL lie.

But little Sarah (always quick on her very large feet) replied: “we’re talking about additional revenue that wouldn’t have existed without the president getting a new deal” and that revenue coupled with money saved means “we can pay for the wall four times over, and by doing that new trade deal we have the opportunity to pay for the wall.”

How can anyone STAND these shining examples of humanity?

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
I don't really understand why Republicans worry about government shutdowns. One of the pillars of conservative principals is small government and limited regulations. "The government that governs least governs best" I always hear.

So when you look back at previous government shutdowns, some offices close, the world moves on, and not a lot of people are impacted. They can be used as proof that less government works.

So why don't Republicans just say "yea, shut it down and come back to me when the world stops turning."

Jan 2014
Did you watch little Sarah Sanders yesterday? MY GOD--what a mess she is. So a reporter asks,
"The deficit is over $1 trillion, so why is the American taxpayer paying for the wall when Trump as a candidate promised that Mexico would pay for it?"
Sanders: We’re not asking American taxpayers for that. We are looking at existing funding through other agencies right now that we can draw on to do that in — immediately." Ummm....other agencies? Like tax-payer FUNDED other agencies? Like U.S. agencies---all funded by tax dollars? Those agencies, Sarah??

Okay, let’s break this down. First, any existing funding that other agencies have in their coffers is taxpayer money. So, as many, many people pointed out on Twitter, trying to claim the money isn’t coming from the American public is either misinformed or misleading or.....ANOTHER BIG FAT GODAWFUL lie.

But little Sarah (always quick on her very large feet) replied: “we’re talking about additional revenue that wouldn’t have existed without the president getting a new deal” and that revenue coupled with money saved means “we can pay for the wall four times over, and by doing that new trade deal we have the opportunity to pay for the wall.”

Clara, I caught that too.... it all boils down to taxpayer dollars no matter where they take the money from.
I often wonder if Sarah Sanders is really that dumb to believe what she has to say or if she just doesn’t care about selling her soul when it comes to truth.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN

The deficit is not 1 Trillion it is 0.877 trillion 50% LOWER than the Democrat congress' deficts during the Obama era

you forget the Democrats gave us a Record 1.6 trillion dollar deficit, 2nd place 1.4 trillion dollar deficit, 3rd place 1.3 trillion dollar deficit 4th place 970 billion dollar deficit.

And Trumps Tax cuts has delivered A RECORD HIGH REVENUE COLLECTION OF 3.5 TRILLION DOLLARS.

Last edited:
Dec 2015
Arizona
The deficit is not 1 Trillion it is 0.877 trillion 50% LOWER than the Democrat congress' deficts during the Obama era

you forget the Democrats gave us a Record 1.6 trillion dollar deficit, 2nd place 1.4 trillion dollar deficit, 3rd place 1.3 trillion dollar deficit 4th place 970 billion dollar deficit.
Source? Link?