Hail Satan

Jul 2014
massachusetts
So a couple of miles from my house a new "church" opened, The Satanic Temple.

Pretty interesting movie Hail Satan? - Wikipedia

I haven't stopped by yet, but after seeing the movie, I might drop by the gift shop...

Feb 2019
nunya

I haven't stopped by yet, but after seeing the movie, I might drop by the gift shop...
Satanism is interesting. The Church of Satan, which opened in 1966, doesn't actually worship satan. They see satan as a representation of human nature and the bestial ways of humans. Satanism teaches to give forgiveness to those who deserve it, lie when necessary and that magic exists. Basically the opposite then christianity.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
Satanism is interesting. The Church of Satan, which opened in 1966, doesn't actually worship satan. They see satan as a representation of human nature and the bestial ways of humans. Satanism teaches to give forgiveness to those who deserve it, lie when necessary and that magic exists. Basically the opposite then christianity.
This isn't the church of Satan, founded by Anton Szandor Le vey
it's the Satanic Temple, it's non theistic, it's more be like a secular reaction to supernatural cults.

Reactions: 47grapes
Feb 2019
nunya
it's the Satanic Temple, it's non theistic, it's more be like a secular reaction to supernatural cults.
Ah yes, they are often confused. Both are non theistic. Cults are rare and few in number.

Dec 2018
U.S
Well not necessarily. Christianity teaches that if the flesh is left to its own that it will eventually lead the person to death. Christianity teaches why. The struggle between the flesh and the spirit. If the person can learn about proper balancing of health and recreation, the person can begin giving thanks for all the wonderful worksThe LORD gives unto the children of men... Christianity also teaches about forgiveness but to try to learn to forgive those you don't want to. Its a good thing to release the other person from their possibe own guilt for doing wrong. About lying, Christianity tries to teach a person to avoid places, persons, etc...where you might need to lie; hence self reliance and being able to provide for yourself..

Oct 2019
USA

I'm assuming that this is Anton Le Vay's sect, right?

I'm pretty sure it was just an atheistic, nihilistic sect (supposedly LeVay plagiarised most of the Satanic Bible from a "Might is Right" by Ragnar Redbeard), not a sect of literal Satan worshippers.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
I'm assuming that this is Anton Le Vay's sect, right?

I'm pretty sure it was just an atheistic, nihilistic sect (supposedly LeVay plagiarised most of the Satanic Bible from a "Might is Right" by Ragnar Redbeard), not a sect of literal Satan worshippers.
Not related to the leVay cult, one of the fastest growing religions in the US.
More secular than supernatural.

Anytime someone puts up the ten commandments on public land, they are ready with a statue of Baphomet to go next to it.
So far, the ten commandments come down when this happens.

Oct 2019
USA
Not related to the leVay cult, one of the fastest growing religions in the US.
More secular than supernatural.

Anytime someone puts up the ten commandments on public land, they ready with a statue of Baphomet to go next to it.
So far, the ten commandments come down when this happens.
I can think of reasons to prohibit Baphomet, but not the 10 Commandments.

(Such as how legal systems such as that of Exodus played a role in the development of our Common Law systems of government, but as far as I know, Baphomet did not - this is documented by Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendall Holmes in "The Common Law", for example).

Jul 2014
massachusetts
I can think of reasons to prohibit Baphomet, but not the 10 Commandments.

(Such as how legal systems such as that of Exodus played a role in the development of our Common Law systems of government, but as far as I know, Baphomet did not - this is documented by Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendall Holmes in "The Common Law", for example).
Here's how it works, if you put up the ten commandments on public property, then you have opened that property to religious displays, hence, Baphomet.
If you leave up the ten commandments, Baphomet goes up next to it.
Given that choice, so far, people have decided that religious displays of any kind should not appear on public property.
Our legal system does not distinguish between religions, Baphomet is equal to Moses or Jesus.
They are all imaginary friends.

Feb 2006
California
I remember that one...

The Black House was a building that formerly stood at 6114 California St. in San Francisco, California, in the United States.[1] The house was used by Anton LaVey as the headquarters of his Church of Satan from 1966 until his death in 1997.[1] LaVey conducted Satanic seminars and rituals at the house; one of the most notorious such rituals was the Satanic baptism of his daughter Zeena Schreck in 1967, punctuated by LaVey speaking the words "Hail Zeena! Hail Satan!"[2][3] over the nude body of a female acting as the 'Satanic Altar'.

Public ceremonies were performed at the house until 1972.[4] LaVey lost ownership of the house in 1991 as the result of a court settlement resulting from his separation from Diane Hegarty, but LaVey was allowed to reside at the Black House until his death.
Following LaVey's death, members of the Church of Satan unsuccessfully attempted to raise funds to repurchase the house, and it was demolished on October 17, 2001. A duplex now stands in its place.