Has politics replaced religion?

Feb 2019
here and there
the bible is a total fairy tale it is terrifying to me adults actually take it seriously bible stories are like fairy tales and santa claus for kids
Ok, let's take a "fairy tale" and discuss it.

How about the Great Flood?

Other ancient cultures in that region have a similar Great Flood myth.

Why do you think that is?

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Ok, let's take a "fairy tale" and discuss it.

How about the Great Flood?

Other ancient cultures in that region have a similar Great Flood myth.

Why do you think that is?
Because floods are common in that area.

Do you believe it was a world wide flood? Because the story makes no sense if the flood was not world wide.

Feb 2019
here and there
The knowledge that history, as told in the Bible is wrong.
Knowledge that evolution is true.
Knowledge about how evidence presented as “proof of God” really doesn’t add up.

I asked you a direct question, “How did Dawkins make a fool of himself?” and your “answer” is to say that trying to explain why would be futile.

As usual a dodge from someone who don’t understand atheism.
There is a wide range of beliefs in Christianity when it comes to such things as evolution and the age of the universe.

Here is a taste.

What is the Catholic Position on Creationism and Evolution?

So again, Dawkins is wrong. Evolution does NOT disprove the Bible in the least, nor does the age of the Earth being billions of years old.

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
There is a wide range of beliefs in Christianity when it comes to such things as evolution and the age of the universe.

Here is a taste.

What is the Catholic Position on Creationism and Evolution?

So again, Dawkins is wrong. Evolution does NOT disprove the Bible in the least, nor does the age of the Earth being billions of years old.
Hawkins never said that evolution disproves the Bible. (And I have never said it either)
Theists (even those who believe in evolution) say that the complexity of life requires a designer. If a designer is required then that is proof of God.

Evolution by natural selection does away with the need for a designer. It doesn’t disprove God it just shows that God isn’t necessary.

That is what atheism is. It isn’t the claim that God does not exist. It is the position that the existence of God has not been proved and until such evidence presents itself then belief in a God is irrational.

Feb 2019
here and there
Because floods are common in that area.

Do you believe it was a world wide flood? Because the story makes no sense if the flood was not world wide.
So at least you admit that there was a "great flood" in the region, otherwise, they would have no point of reference to which to refer to a flood.

As to the extent of this "great flood", that is for you to decide, and it makes precious little difference what I think about it.

And so it goes, stories within the Bible have roots in history, roots in human reality. For example, did you know that the Bible was the only historical document that referred to the Philistine people? In fact, Biblical archeology is the only scientific discipline based upon a religious text. Not all of these archeologists believe all the stories in the Bible, but they do concede there is enough varacity there to use it as a template for archeological digs, which is how the Philistine people were found.

So those that deride the Bible as being a mere fairy tale could not be more wrong. It is a valuable document that somehow survived the centuries, a book any culture or people would be proud of having survived, thus, a valuable historic document as well.

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
So at least you admit that there was a "great flood" in the region, otherwise, they would have no point of reference to which to refer to a flood.

As to the extent of this "great flood", that is for you to decide, and it makes precious little difference what I think about it.

And so it goes, stories within the Bible have roots in history, roots in human reality. For example, did you know that the Bible was the only historical document that referred to the Philistine people? In fact, Biblical archeology is the only scientific discipline based upon a religious text. Not all of these archeologists believe all the stories in the Bible, but they do concede there is enough varacity there to use it as a template for archeological digs, which is how the Philistine people were found.

So those that deride the Bible as being a mere fairy tale could not be more wrong. It is a valuable document that somehow survived the centuries, a book any culture or people would be proud of having survived, thus, a valuable historic document as well.
I don’t know if it was a “great flood” nor do I think there was just one. There were MANY floods in that area...some of them very extensive.
Stories handed down generation after generation may have exaggerated the flood to the point where the story said that the flood was “world wide”

Biblical Archeology is not a true science. It starts with a conclusion, “The Bible is historically accurate” and then looks for evidence to fit that conclusion.

Feb 2019
here and there
Hawkins never said that evolution disproves the Bible. (And I have never said it either)
Theists (even those who believe in evolution) say that the complexity of life requires a designer. If a designer is required then that is proof of God.

Evolution by natural selection does away with the need for a designer. It doesn’t disprove God it just shows that God isn’t necessary.

That is what atheism is. It isn’t the claim that God does not exist. It is the position that the existence of God has not been proved and until such evidence presents itself then belief in a God is irrational.
Here is a rather interesting interview with Dawkins

In the interview Dawkins does not:

1. Completely rule out the possibility of a God
2. Does not rule out intelligent design that made humanity.
3. Admits he is clueless as to our origins and the origin of the universe.

Feb 2019
here and there
I don’t know if it was a “great flood” nor do I think there was just one. There were MANY floods in that area...some of them very extensive.
Stories handed down generation after generation may have exaggerated the flood to the point where the story said that the flood was “world wide”

Biblical Archeology is not a true science. It starts with a conclusion, “The Bible is historically accurate” and then looks for evidence to fit that conclusion.
No, Biblical Archeology is a true science that does not presume that the Bible is correct.

In other words, the Bible says that the Philistines live here, but they go digging not knowing if they will find them, etc.

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Here is a rather interesting interview with Dawkins

In the interview Dawkins does not:

1. Completely rule out the possibility of a God
2. Does not rule out intelligent design that made humanity.
3. Admits he is clueless as to our origins and the origin of the universe.
That is the position of MOST atheists.
1. I don’t rule out God, I just haven’t seen any evidence that convinces me of his existence.
2. Is just a continuation of 1. I don’t rule out intelligent design I just have not seen anything to convince me that it is true.
3. No one claims to know the origin of the universe. We have scientific hypothesis but some of the needed information is probably beyond our ability to know. Just because we don’t know something does not mean “God did it”

Feb 2019
here and there
That is the position of MOST atheists.
1. I don’t rule out God, I just haven’t seen any evidence that convinces me of his existence.
2. Is just a continuation of 1. I don’t rule out intelligent design I just have not seen anything to convince me that it is true.
3. No one claims to know the origin of the universe. We have scientific hypothesis but some of the needed information is probably beyond our ability to know. Just because we don’t know something does not mean “God did it”
So are there any things you believe in for which you have no proof?