Has politics replaced religion?

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Science has its uses, but I don’t put my faith in it. I find human beings, and anything they create, to be deeply flawed. Putting my faith in God has never failed me.
What criteria are you using for failure?

I have never seen a situation where worshipping a god has achieved a better result than other methods.

And I have never seen gravity not be true.

Nov 2012
Rhondda
No, politics is a religion.

that is why I play politics but follow Christ, which is NOT a religion.
Atheism
Southern Baptist
Islam
Catholic
Zen Buddhism

Are religions.
The whole question, it seems to me, depends hugely on definitions. My own notion of 'religion' is a belief-system centring on an imagined all-powerful 'Person' who, like some Fifth-Century BC tyrant, is so insecure that he requires constant praise. On that basis, Buddhism is certainly not a religion, nor is my version of Christianity - but the latter is, I fear, somewhat rare.

Jan 2015
MD

I have never seen a situation where worshipping a god has achieved a better result than other methods.

1. All of human history. Humans, with all of the scientific advancements they have achieved still have not created a society where everyone is fulfilled, where everyone’s needs are met. We have failed to create a humane and rational society.

2. I have. I have overcome many things in my life because of my faith in God. Science, for example, couldn’t heal me of depression and drug addiction. Despite all of the medication and therapy I went through. Once I put my faith in God, I was delivered from all of these things.

3. Of course gravity is true. It was created for a reason. If the gravitational pull was any more or less than what it is now, we would not be able to survive on this planet. You don’t think someone designed it this way?

Nov 2005
California
Putting your faith in anything counts as a religion as far as I’m concerned.
Then that revolves around what is meant by "faith".
If a person has "faith" that their partner will not cheat on them or a man has faith that the fetus in a pregnant woman's belly is born of his seed, does that mean that becomes a religion?

faith has a definition branch which is relevant to religion.
faith:
2a(1): belief and trust in and loyalty to God
(2): belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion
b(1): firm belief in something for which there is no proof clinging to the faith that her missing son would one day return
(2): complete trust

I bolded the portions which are relevant to "religion" which also exclude "science".

@Gordy How do you define "faith" in conjunction with your usage in your above sentence (which I quoted)?

Oct 2010
Colorado

It's science-based technology that tends to fail, or rather fails to live up to or maintain the initial promises, imo.

Chemical-based agriculture, e.g. the Green Revolution, reduced hunger and starvation for sure, but, it sorta kicked the can down the road. It's based on non-renewable, finite resources, plus it's playing a role in the extinction of insect species worldwide.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
1. All of human history. Humans, with all of the scientific advancements they have achieved still have not created a society where everyone is fulfilled, where everyone’s needs are met. We have failed to create a humane and rational society.
I know many very happy, content people who do not worship any god. And I can show you lots of religious people who are inhumane and are part of the reason our society isn't "rational". So faith isn't the determining factor there. It can help, but I still think it is an irrational crutch.

2. I have. I have overcome many things in my life because of my faith in God. Science, for example, couldn’t heal me of depression and drug addiction. Despite all of the medication and therapy I went through. Once I put my faith in God, I was delivered from all of these things.
I know may who overcame those things with self-reliance and/or the help of a mental health professional'

[/QUOTE]3. Of course gravity is true. It was created for a reason. If the gravitational pull was any more or less than what it is now, we would not be able to survive on this planet. You don’t think someone designed it this way?[/QUOTE]

Or in fact if such was not a physical fact we wouldn't be here to see it. So again, not any proof of a god.

The one I love is the people who claim better outcomes for cancer patients who pray. Well, it turns out that those who maintain a sense of humor do as well and those who practice yoga do even better.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
It's science-based technology that tends to fail, or rather fails to live up to or maintain the initial promises, imo.

Chemical-based agriculture, e.g. the Green Revolution, reduced hunger and starvation for sure, but, it sorta kicked the can down the road. It's based on non-renewable, finite resources, plus it's playing a role in the extinction of insect species worldwide.
I will refute this by asking, is an ax a tool or a weapon?

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Science has its uses, but I don’t put my faith in it. I find human beings, and anything they create, to be deeply flawed. Putting my faith in God has never failed me.
Simple question. If you are in a serious car accident are you going to put your faith in medical science/technologies/procedures or are you going to pray and have faith that God will heal you?

Jan 2015
MD
Then that revolves around what is meant by "faith".
If a person has "faith" that their partner will not cheat on them or a man has faith that the fetus in a pregnant woman's belly is born of his seed, does that mean that becomes a religion?

faith has a definition branch which is relevant to religion.
faith:
2a(1): belief and trust in and loyalty to God
(2): belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion
b(1): firm belief in something for which there is no proof clinging to the faith that her missing son would one day return
(2): complete trust

I bolded the portions which are relevant to "religion" which also exclude "science".

@Gordy How do you define "faith" in conjunction with your usage in your above sentence (which I quoted)?
Yea, that is religion to an extent. You’re putting faith in human beings.

Jan 2015
MD
Simple question. If you are in a serious car accident are you going to put your faith in medical science/technologies/procedures or are you going to pray and have faith that God will heal you?
I’ll put my faith in God. God is what will grant medicine the power to heal me. God gave us medicine for a reason, but these are just tools that God has given us to take care of ourselves. Without God, these things are useless.