Have you ever felt like you were over-paid?

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
So the topic of teacher's salaries came up on another thread and I didn't want to sidetrack the conversation.

But have you ever felt like you were over-paid at your job? I ask because it seems like every employee of every occupation in every field feels they deserve a pay raise. For example I got a promotion last October (yay me) and I was ecstatic! I had just gotten a new boss and within six months he felt I deserved more money, more responsibilities and a better title. I was thrilled! But you know how long that thrill lasted? About 2 weeks. And real quickly I fell back into the same feeling I always have with all my jobs; I should get paid more.

Is the solution to problems we have in our economy just to pay the employees more? I don't really think so. I think people are incredibly malleable and we can adjust to changes in our income. Hypothetically, if I got fired from my job and I went from making $100K a year (how I wish) to $50K a year, that's a MASSIVE cut. But would I survive? Yes. I'd have to change some of my spending habits, I wouldn't be able to enjoy as many luxuries as I once had, but it wouldn't kill me. When I was in college my part time job brought in about $100 a week I used on groceries, utilities and simple spending money. And I made it work because that's what you have to do.

Am I wrong here?

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
Have you ever felt like you were over-paid?
I gotta tell ya, most my career I felt I was fairly compensated.

When I went to work for myself in the mid 90's, I made very good money and appreciated every penny.

That said, I am keenly aware of the mindset you speak to and I know that teachers are GROSSLY over paid.

Apr 2014
redacted
So the topic of teacher's salaries came up on another thread and I didn't want to sidetrack the conversation.

But have you ever felt like you were over-paid at your job? I ask because it seems like every employee of every occupation in every field feels they deserve a pay raise. For example I got a promotion last October (yay me) and I was ecstatic! I had just gotten a new boss and within six months he felt I deserved more money, more responsibilities and a better title. I was thrilled! But you know how long that thrill lasted? About 2 weeks. And real quickly I fell back into the same feeling I always have with all my jobs; I should get paid more.

Is the solution to problems we have in our economy just to pay the employees more? I don't really think so. I think people are incredibly malleable and we can adjust to changes in our income. Hypothetically, if I got fired from my job and I went from making $100K a year (how I wish) to $50K a year, that's a MASSIVE cut. But would I survive? Yes. I'd have to change some of my spending habits, I wouldn't be able to enjoy as many luxuries as I once had, but it wouldn't kill me. When I was in college my part time job brought in about $100 a week I used on groceries, utilities and simple spending money. And I made it work because that's what you have to do.

Am I wrong here?
Most Americans are underpaid. Anyone who doesn't think so is a fucking idiot, to quote Lindsey Graham.

That's why the rich are getting richer and the Middle-Class is falling behind. It's not just the pay per se but the buying power. If $100 a week would pay for rent, utilities, food, transportation and a few luxuries every week, then $400/month is adequate pay. However, if it doesn't and a family has to struggle with additional part-time jobs to make ends meet, then it's insufficient pay.

A caveat to this is for people to live within their means to avoid being overcome with debt. Our's is a consumerist society. If you don't have a nice car, a nice house and a decent job, then you're a loser so people try to keep up appearances even when they can't afford it. They'll buy a new car instead of a used or a bigger house than they need. That doesn't mean they aren't being under or overpaid, just that there's a difference between what they should be paid and coping with the realities of their actual pay. Teachers are notoriously underpaid and have been for decades.

The American middle class: 5 takeaways

By the Numbers: The Incredibly Shrinking American Middle Class | BillMoyers.com

Note that pay is relative as previously posted. It depends upon the relative buying power of one's salary. Cost of living is much higher in Alaska, California and New York than in Mississippi or Alabama.
The Best (and Worst) States for Teacher's Wages

Your State Might Be Getting More Expensive -- Here's Why

Dec 2015
Arizona
I have been underpaid my entire life....with a few exceptions. So I punted. I took on other jobs--countless other jobs--on the side and made things work.
I think it depends on the type of personality you have. There are people who just show up to work. There are people who do the minimum and clock out. There are slackers and there are people who give 150%. There are those who resent the boss--the wealthy--the "haves".

I wouldn't change a thing. I'm glad I had to work hard and reinvent myself in a hundred different ways.

Dec 2015
Arizona
I gotta tell ya, most my career I felt I was fairly compensated.

When I went to work for myself in the mid 90's, I made very good money and appreciated every penny.

That said, I am keenly aware of the mindset you speak to and I know that teachers are GROSSLY over paid.
What is this disgust for teachers all about?

Jul 2018
What is this disgust for teachers all about?
Envy, greed and resentment. (just like every human who dislikes anything)

Such a cushy job that makes European vacation time look stark. As a counter weight we give benefits that NO ONE else in the country enjoys!
All out of MY pocket.

Then there is the whole economic model.... the free market which does not apply to teachers. If supply and demand were at play no private industry would pay as much for such a plush job.

On top of all that, I have a chip on my shoulder over education as I test a genius yet nearly flunked out of every school I ever attended. I have intellectual curiosity on steroids yet could never satiate my inch for knowledge in traditional institutions.

How is that for brutal honesty. Not Trump like at all, wouldn't you say?

Dec 2015
Arizona
Envy, greed and resentment. (just like every human who dislikes anything)

Such a cushy job that makes European vacation time look stark. As a counter weight we give benefits that NO ONE else in the country enjoys!
All out of MY pocket.

Then there is the whole economic model.... the free market which does not apply to teachers. If supply and demand were at play no private industry would pay as much for such a plush job.

On top of all that, I have a chip on my shoulder over education as I test a genius yet nearly flunked out of every school I ever attended. I have intellectual curiosity on steroids yet could never satiate my inch for knowledge in traditional institutions.

How is that for brutal honesty. Not Trump like at all, wouldn't you say?
Well......thanks (I think) for your honesty. I guess there's no point in my attempts to overcome your objections. Do you have any solutions to all the issues presented above?

Jul 2018
Well......thanks (I think) for your honesty. I guess there's no point in my attempts to overcome your objections. Do you have any solutions to all the issues presented above?
Roll back the educational requirements for teachers, it's over kill.

Teach in ways all kids learn. Kinesthetic and visual are virtually ignored in favor of auditory and reading.

Let the free market dictate teachers pay and benefits not politics.

Teach things of value and enough with things like two years of a foreign language when the world speaks English.

Make sport and extracurricular activities as important as classwork. It;s easily as important but for some freakish reason is treated as a step child. An extra money grab for teachers. Teachers who have ZERO clue about soccer get the head varsity coach job. It's horrific.

This is not my field nor a field of interest for me so I have no in dept insightful answers rather just generalizations to offer.

I know you are a proud teacher and I can respect that. I simply come at this from a very different perspective. Plus, as I have shared before, I am from the northeast where being a teacher is a racket. A job that is largely "kept in the family." And still, the teachers, on my dime send me mailing about their new budgets and all the money they need, to help the kids. Meantime, when we had the budget crisis of 2018 all kinds of things were cut EXCEPT teachers pay. The hypocrisy was not lost on me.