Health care could be behind Canada's longer life expectancy

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
Why do Canadians live longer than Americans?
Canadians are outliving Americans, in some cases, by as much as a decade. Is public healthcare the secret to longevity?

When Erick Bauer was first diagnosed with cystic fibrosis (CF) as an infant, his parents were told he'd be lucky to make it to his 20th birthday.

Now turning 32 and expecting his first child, Mr Bauer attributes his relatively good health to the close relationship he has with his medical team at St Michael's Hospital in Toronto, which he says helps him maintain a healthy and active lifestyle.

He takes about 60 pills a day to help control the hereditary disease, which can affect the lungs, pancreas and gastro-intestinal tract.

"For all those younger CF patients who live with the disease right now, it is really important to just keep searching for that cure or that control for that disease," he told the BBC. "That is my hope for the future."

Life expectancy for cystic fibrosis patients has increased much faster in Canada than it has in the US, a new study published this month in the Annals of Internal Medicine found.

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
Living in the world's richest country comes at a price, and it's measured in life years.

Men in the US are on average aged 75 when they die. That is 1.5 years younger than men in the UK and 3.5 years younger than men in Australia, says a new study.

American women live on average to just under 81 - about three years younger than the average Australian woman.

While life expectancy in the US continues to improve, says the report by researchers at University of Washington in Seattle and Imperial College, London, it is not increasing as quickly as in other Western countries, so the gap is widening. Why do Americans die younger than Britons?

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
Living in the world's richest country comes at a price, and it's measured in life years.

Men in the US are on average aged 75 when they die. That is 1.5 years younger than men in the UK and 3.5 years younger than men in Australia, says a new study.

American women live on average to just under 81 - about three years younger than the average Australian woman.

While life expectancy in the US continues to improve, says the report by researchers at University of Washington in Seattle and Imperial College, London, it is not increasing as quickly as in other Western countries, so the gap is widening. Why do Americans die younger than Britons?

When a 5 year old in CO is run over by a pot smoking driver... that lowers the life expectancy (it has NOTHING to do with the Healthcare system

when a 22 year old drunk driver hits a tree that lowers the life expectancy (has NOTHING to do with the healthcare system)

This is why you need to clarify data.

if a person dies and never accesses the healthcare system (should not be counted in a data set on determining the effectivness of the healthcare system)

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
i would say that i never liked obamacare it seemed poorly concieved and benificial only to insurance companies.. terrible plan i always supported single payer like canada
50 years ago life expectancy in the usa and canada was the same twenty years ago canadas life expectancy was about a year longer than ours, today it is three years longer and the difference grows life expectancy has risen in the usa over the past ten years, in canada it has risen at a rate double to that in the usa they are living longer and are leaving us in the dust in life expectancy and infant mortality.. our technology is more advanced no doubt if you are sick and have money the usa is the place to be but not everyomne does where their system excels our is in prevention people that are too fat people who smoke or drink too much.. are refered to programs to change life habits before a disease sets in..and in that way fewer people get sick to begin with Why do Canadians live longer than Americans?

Apr 2015
Stockport. UK
i would say that i never liked obamacare it seemed poorly concieved and benificial only to insurance companies.. terrible plan i always supported single payer like canada
It is a dogs dinner of a system, but a major part of the reason for its failings is the Republicans doing everything they can to make sure it does fail.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
It is a dogs dinner of a system, but a major part of the reason for its failings is the Republicans doing everything they can to make sure it does fail.
What have the Republicans done. The law has not changed since it was written, with one exception in 2018 the mandate ended.

Obamacare failed because it was created to fail.

Obamacare law unchanged the first time in since records have been monitored the Life expectancy has declined 3 years in a row

(Why is this obamcare is based on the Complete life System, google it and read)

From the TEA party with love, WE TOLD YOU SO.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
50 years ago life expectancy in the usa and canada was the same twenty years ago canadas life expectancy was about a year longer than ours, today it is three years longer and the difference grows life expectancy has risen in the usa over the past ten years, in canada it has risen at a rate double to that in the usa they are living longer and are leaving us in the dust in life expectancy and infant mortality.. our technology is more advanced no doubt if you are sick and have money the usa is the place to be but not everyomne does where their system excels our is in prevention people that are too fat people who smoke or drink too much.. are refered to programs to change life habits before a disease sets in..and in that way fewer people get sick to begin with Why do Canadians live longer than Americans?
My brother was a Chief Actuary of a Blue, he thought ObamaCare was the best the US could do at the time, Single payer was better, and government run is even more efficient, but they were politically impossible at the time. He saw ObamaCare as a step towards single payer, which was a step towards government run health care, because that is the only way to deliver affordable universal health care.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
My brother was a Chief Actuary of a Blue, he thought ObamaCare was the best the US could do at the time, Single payer was better, and government run is even more efficient, but they were politically impossible at the time. He saw ObamaCare as a step towards single payer, which was a step towards government run health care, because that is the only way to deliver affordable universal health care.

No thanks