Hey RNG ... RTL ... gee, it looks like your country has gone to pot.....

Dec 2016
Canada
I don't know how cannabis was legalized in Canada. Imo, Colorado amending the state Constitution is the "cleanest" way any state has legalized possession.

Canada becomes second country to legalise recreational marijuana

Canada has become the second country after Uruguay to legalise possession and use of recreational cannabis.

The nationwide market for cannabis opened on Wednesday at midnight amid lingering questions about the impact on health, the law and public safety.

Preparations included mailings to 15m households detailing the new cannabis laws and public awareness campaigns.

But there remain concerns, including about the readiness for police forces to tackle drug impaired driving.

Canadian provinces and municipalities have been preparing for months for the end of cannabis prohibition.

Provinces and territories are responsible for setting out many of the details for where cannabis can be bought and consumed within their jurisdictions.

This has created a patchwork of legislation across the country as jurisdictions choose more or less restrictive frameworks for selling and using cannabis.

More: Canada legalises sale and use of cannabis
As for me, I've been away from the board for a couple of days while all this was going on....and NO, I wasn't smoking weed to celebrate!

Of all the issues I try to follow, this one ranks pretty close to the bottom, so you guys already know more than I do about cannabis-- both legal and illegal.

In most of Canada, marijuana possession was already close to being de-criminalized, since most were charged with possession as an add-on after being arrested for other charges: robbery, burglary, weapons etc..

I know my youngest son is at least an occasional smoker (it seems to be mandatory if you're a musician), and we've never had that big conversation on the subject...it was just something that he took up without telling us, and doesn't expose us to. So, I don't know where he's been buying it from or whether he would be buying pot from one of the brand new legal store operators...which according to today's headlines, are already out of stock! So, does that mean the regular users who really want it will just go back to the blackmarket dealers?

I heard on the radio that our local cannabis dealers are already sold out...but trying valiantly to restock supplies, and I found this from the CBC News online how all the East Coast shops are greeting customers with signs like this one in the window:

After a single day, N.L. has a shortage in marijuana | CBC News

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
I've looked at the prices, and they are slightly higher than Colorado.

Here, growers are required to have their various strains tested very frequently, I'm not sure exactly how often. The THC content is measured and reported on the label. The same strain can measure differently from crop to crop.

Also, growers are required to list all the agricultural chemicals used. Insecticides, fungicides, the various chemicals used in aquaculture. The list can be long.

Chem-free organic cannabis is available. The only dispensary that grows locally grows organically.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Our state subsidized radio has a comedy show on some late mornings. I only listen to the radio in the car, and since retirement don't really drive that much any more. But I did catch one great bit. They have two comedians "debate" silly topics. Today's was about now that pot is legal in Canada, should people try it or not. Here, IMO is the best argument each side gave.

Con - research has shown that young kids doing pot have brain development issues. That causes them to end up with a lower IQ and so they vote Republican.

Pro - I'm an aggressive alpha male so would you sooner have me at one of your parties drunk or high?

• Haha
Reactions: imaginethat
Jun 2018
Toronto
BTW I never bothered to try pot. Don't intend to. I'm not the typical canadian though.

May 2018
Chicago
BTW I never bothered to try pot. Don't intend to. I'm not the typical canadian though.
If you very have a surgery and need painkillers afterward, ask your doc or surgeon to prescribe it for you. Unlike opioids it actually relieves pain and you won't get addicted to it. Your body won't hate you for it either.

Last edited:
Sep 2019
NYC
I've looked at the prices, and they are slightly higher than Colorado.

Here, growers are required to have their various strains tested very frequently, I'm not sure exactly how often. The THC content is measured and reported on the label. The same strain can measure differently from crop to crop.

Also, growers are required to list all the agricultural chemicals used. Insecticides, fungicides, the various chemicals used in aquaculture. The list can be long.

Chem-free organic cannabis is available. The only dispensary that grows locally grows organically.

The current issue is, that this testing isn't regulated and many things claiming to be free of pesticides, are not.