History-Challenged "conservatives"

May 2013
Northeast

"Earlier this summer, the Supreme Court struck down a key provision of the Voting Rights Act that helped force states and localities with a history of discrimination to have the Justice Department preclear proposed changes to voting regulations. Representative John Lewis (D-GA), a civil rights icon, described the decision as "a dagger in the heart of the Voting Rights Act of 1965."

Today marks the 48th anniversary of President Lyndon Johnson signing that act into law.

Conservatives are apt to defend gutting the law by arguing that our country has made significant strides in racial equality over the past 48 years. That being the case, one would hope that segregationists' arguments against the Voting Rights Act of 1965 would have been relegated to the dust bin of history, rather than in use by conservatives today to defend discriminatory policies.

Unfortunately, much of the rhetoric used to attack the law and defend the Supreme Court's decision remains rooted in the segregationist defenses of Jim Crow. Regardless of the motives, the use of similar rhetoric shows a lack of historic perspective."

Reactions: 2 people
Jun 2013
?
you cant get rid of all the haters.... as heard as it is for Liberals and the left to think that

Mar 2013
Midwest
Name what's not equal between the races. Because I'm pretty sure I have all the same rights as another race.
Go ahead, I'll wait.

Aug 2012
Texas
Name what's not equal between the races. Because I'm pretty sure I have all the same rights as another race.
Go ahead, I'll wait.
The gravity of your stupidity is astounding. What's not equal??? The way whites treat blacks, is what is not equal.

Nov 2012
Michigan
this whole thing of posting in crayons, ya know, bold varied print and bright colors is getting more and more boring,

Mar 2013
Midwest
The gravity of your stupidity is astounding. What's not equal??? The way whites treat blacks, is what is not equal.
No no no, I asked for proof. Not "I'm ignorant so I'll switch to insults."

So go ahead, obviously I don't know something that you do. Enlighten me.

Unless of course... You can't.

Nov 2012
Gamma Solaris
No no no, I asked for proof. Not "I'm ignorant so I'll switch to insults."

So go ahead, obviously I don't know something that you do. Enlighten me.

Unless of course... You can't.
Here we go, switching to "blame whitey". Hit the IGNORE button Engineerduder...it's just like your toilet handle.