Home Defense preferences

What are your home defense preferences?

• Total voters
Apr 2014
redacted
What are your home defense preferences?

Obviously it's not reasonable to have a one-size-fit-all solution. Where I live, police are at least 20 minutes away.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
Cops are trained and equipped, and a few minutes away.
And I don't do anything to make people want to come after me and kill me.
Where are these places where people keep coming to kill you and your family?
And why would you live there?

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
While I do support people's right to protect themselves, I would argue the two best ways to protect the home is A. a security system and B. a dog.

1. If those two things are evident from the exterior of the home (an ADT sign or a dog accessory), it lowers the chance someone will break in in the first place
2. If someone does indeed break in, the sound of an alarm going off or a dog parking can scare them away

Most home break-ins are for robbery purposes and not people coming to murder, so scaring assailants away should be priority number one

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
While I do support people's right to protect themselves, I would argue the two best ways to protect the home is A. a security system and B. a dog.

1. If those two things are evident from the exterior of the home (an ADT sign or a dog accessory), it lowers the chance someone will break in in the first place
2. If someone does indeed break in, the sound of an alarm going off or a dog parking can scare them away

Most home break-ins are for robbery purposes and not people coming to murder, so scaring assailants away should be priority number one
First line of Defense is self.

1. Alarms can be compromised
2. Dogs can be Killed.
3. Awareness is the first line of defense, avoiding danger...
4. Weapons are the 2nd.
5. fear of harming others is the first action of making yourself defenseless

we had a home invasion at our home, First act of defense was to arm, 2nd action was to seek concealment 3rd was to call police.

Police arrived about 10 to 15 minutes after the situation was over.

Rifles are not good for home defense unless you are defending yourself from a threat OUTSIDE the home.
Shotguns are not a good choice if you have other people in the home, Chances of harming the wrong person to great because of multiple projectiles.
Home defense I have a 45 cal handgun and a 40 cal handgun (glasser safety rounds in order not to penetrate a 2nd wall keeping others in the house safe. We have an alarm system which has a trigger on my gun safe.. (I have a safe in the wall of my bedroom and my living area that I keep my handguns you hit the code the alarm triggers and the system is monitored, the safe opens and you have access to the weapon) I have a CCL if the firearm is in the safe it is on my person, I have the same set up in my car and truck, If I go to a place that does not allow CCL I put my firearm in the safe in my car, this way I prevent the theift of my firearm )

Last edited:
Dec 2018
Wisconsin
First line of Defense is self.

1. Alarms can be compromised
2. Dogs can be Killed.
3. Awareness is the first line of defense, avoiding danger...
4. Weapons are the 2nd.
5. fear of harming others is the first action of making yourself defenseless

we had a home invasion at our home, First act of defense was to arm, 2nd action was to seek concealment 3rd was to call police.

Police arrived about 10 to 15 minutes after the situation was over.
While no one thing is a 100% certainty to protect the home, my position is measures should be taken to prevent home invasions BEFORE acquiring a firearm. I feel assailants are less likely to break into a home when a security system is present. I feel assailants are less likely to break into a home when a dog is present (large dog... no one is scared of your fucking Pomeranian). I'm confounded by people who purchase firearms specifically for the purpose of defending the home but don't purchase a security system.

As I've previously said, my in-laws live on a 300 acre farm about 10 minutes away from the closest paved road and 30 minutes from the closest police station. They have about a dozen rifles and handgun in their home because they know if something happened, they'd have to defend themselves. So I see the benefit of almost all home security. There's no one size fits all solution.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
While no one thing is a 100% certainty to protect the home, my position is measures should be taken to prevent home invasions BEFORE acquiring a firearm. I feel assailants are less likely to break into a home when a security system is present. I feel assailants are less likely to break into a home when a dog is present (large dog... no one is scared of your fucking Pomeranian). I'm confounded by people who purchase firearms specifically for the purpose of defending the home but don't purchase a security system.

As I've previously said, my in-laws live on a 300 acre farm about 10 minutes away from the closest paved road and 30 minutes from the closest police station. They have about a dozen rifles and handgun in their home because they know if something happened, they'd have to defend themselves. So I see the benefit of almost all home security. There's no one size fits all solution.

I agree having to use my weapon is the last resort. as I stated my security system is triggered the moment an member of my household access the firearm. The security system does protect the house but they can be compromised.

there are levels of defense.

be aware of your surroundings.. walk as with a purpose... take non lethal measures.

(Be nice until, it is time to not be nice).